Do you think it's sexist that the boys answers' are in blue and the girls answers' are in pink?

Just wanting an opinion!

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 18

• Someone needs a hobby

• I don't really think so. The colors are used for distinction, and any two arbitrary colors would work. The fact that pink and blue are offensive has more to do with toy isles.

In fact, Pink used to be a masculine color, and Blue was associated with the virgin Mary. Thus baby boys were wrapped in pink and baby girls were wrapped in blue.

I don't think it's sexist, but more specifically, we need to recognize how arbitrary it is, like most things related to gender.

• Well now I'm curious as to how the color associations got switched over time.

• @RoseVanLuna: I heard somewhere (I haven't actually checked up on the accuracy, so take this with a grain of salt) that it was because of the whole pink triangle thing in Nazi concentration camps. Homosexuals were given pink triangles to wear, and because homosexuality was considered effeminate, pink became associated with femininity.

• @OpenClose and @cipher42 Thank you. I'll have to look into it now :] lol

• Well, the site needs to differentiate, although purple is prettier (but then some people wouldn't see the difference).

I think it is not sexist as long as it doesn't try to tell you what sort of answers to expect from females just because they are female.

However, it is fairly heteronormative.

• Hahaha. I don't think so. It's just to make it quickly simple to identify if a male or female user posted the response.

• No I don't find it sexist. Do you find it sexist?

• A little bit, but it doesn't bother me. I really like the color pink AND the color blue. I was just curious if anyone else thought about it:)

• Yeah well it is sexist a tiny bit there is no denying that, but the way I feel is that if someone is offended by that then they will be offended by everything in life. :)

• No, but I do think the pink is too bright.

• No. It's just a way to categorize that everyone's familiar with.

• Not sexist at all. These colors are simply matches with these sexes. It's a quick and easy way to recognize gender.

• It's site called girls ask guys, there needs to be an obvious, slightly brain dead, and easy to tell difference in colour of a question between the sexes. So, what is the best way? Make guys blue and girls pink.

• Nahh I think it's very good for its purpose

• No, it's a color to determine the users gender.

• No, not at all. I just don't like the over indication which is female or male.

• It doesn't bother me

• Don't they need something to differentiate?

• You moron. you really dont have anything better to do with your life do you?

• The color of my vomit after eating skittles seems more fair but yes it is sexist and I shall quit Gag now!

• No it isn't sexist at all. We shouldn't have to pretend gender doesn't exist. If we did that it would actually destroy the whole point of this site.

Making fun of someone wearing a particular color, because that color doesn't match their gender would be sexist. Being assigned a color based on your gender for the purpose of easy identification just makes logical sense.

• Maaaayyybeeee

What Girls Said 6

• I kind of dislike it, but my issue with it is not really so much with the sexism. I don't really see it as being all that sexist, because I can't see it doing any harm. Like, there's not really any harmful stereotypes that just colors can enforce. It's somewhat irritating, but oh well.

I will say, however, that I don't like the binary attitude the color scheme conveys. It might be nitpicky, but I really would like for there to be more inclusive attitudes of non-binary people. Many people actually identify as gender queer, and thus as neither male nor female. And while they may be a minority, I don't really see that as an excuse to exclude them. As such, I'd prefer for there to be some way to include non-binary people, like providing an "other" option for gender, and perhaps a different color all together if that's what it takes. But I know that's highly unlikely to ever happen, especially considering that the site's name itself relies on there being two genders. *rant over*

So yeah. Sorry for going off topic a bit, but that's kind of been bothering me.

• Also, one thing I actually have noticed (though I don't think it's at all intentional) is that when I'm tired/skimming through stuff, I pay more attention to the words in blue than in pink. Something about the pink being lighter just makes it easier to skip over. So maybe they ought to adjust it so it isn't so bright.

• @LauraMarx you and your spelling is horrendous. Nothing needs to be proved, love doesn't come from your genitals and the atoms in your body, it comes from your heart (figuratively, love develops by oxytocin levels) . I'm an atheist and your just making me gladder that I left Christianity. Your stupidly is never ending unlike most Christians I've met (who were actually decent human beings).

• omg no no no I'm not really saying that I'm making fun of Masonfield!

• In general I find it irksome that any colour determines your gender but for the sake of the website it doesn't bother me because it serves its purpose.

• I never thought about that. I don't think it's sexist, I think it has a purpose and it makes sense.

• Short answer: no
    long answer: nooooooooo.

• Yes and no it separates the two but I reallyyyyy love blue

• Is it sexist to think that this is sexist? Just kidding, but I don't have a problem with it. I just wish it was purple or red or a soft pink for the girls because the current pink gets annoying.