Why we can't mention a user when we're anonymous?

When this feature came up, we were able to mention someone even if we were anonymous, but now we can't do that.
Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because we want to know who mentioned us... the anonymous options is meant to answer when the answer is delicate.
    If someone would ask "who on here is HIV positive too", without the anon option the person would not get any answers.
    It's not meant to be used 80% of the time... if on a discussion forum everyone is anonymous it becomes fairly boring!

What Guys Said 6

• Probably seems unfair to call someone out without knowing who it is doing it, also that you can't @ mention people back if the person you are trying to @ is anonymous.

• Talking negatively about another user is off limits in general, and it would be pretty UNFAIR to do that anonymously, no?

• It would be taken advantage of a lot by trolls.

• Well, we can't mention a user when were anonymous cause it could be highly abused

• you pay this as a penalty for going anon LOL

• Because then anonymous users would harass regular users like it was goin' out of style.

Mention everyone you freakin' want, just under your username.

What Girls Said 8

• I think that's totally fair. If you're going to say something about someone, for good or for bad, you should say it to their face.

• Because some anonymous users will stalk / harass / slander / belittle / mock you anonymously and you won't know who to block because they are anonymous. I used to have this problem a lot. It happened to me 8 times and I never found out who it was though I was able to get their content removed.

• Someone you're annoying may have blocked you so what's to stop you going anonymous and constantly tagging them along with abuse? I don't believe GAG admins can see who's behind the anonymous posts so they couldn't stop it or know who it was for sure. It's for the protection of users who have blocked others.

• because gag thats why (lol xD) but seriously, if people were allowed to @ - mention other people while anonymous people would abuse it to curse or bully people just because they can, and gag wants to prevent that as much as possible

• U csn still mention
    it works

• call me cray cray but I've gotten mentions before from anonymous users or shall I say, I've gotten notifications from anons who have mentioned me.

• Because we are anonymous
    And that's the way the site rolls
    Hahaha
    Lol it sucks tho

• Because blocked users can respond if you post anymous. If a non anonymous user is blocked by another non anonymous user they can not mention that person. So it makes sense to me that a anon user can not mention a user because the anon feature allows blocked users to reply to an opinion.