When you report someone's opinion/comment/account, do you think you should be able to add a comment?

I think you should be able to. That way you can clarify exactly why you're reporting that special someone, because I feel like the "reasons" sometimes don't really suffice when trying to cover exactly why you're reporting them. Obviously there would be a small character limit - it's supposed to be a simple comment and not an essay. And obviously it could be optional as well, so if you feel like the selected reason is good enough, then you won't have to waste time on adding a meaningless comment. The only ones who are able to see these comments would be mods/admins.
Thoughts?

• Sounds like a good idea
  • Sounds like a bad idea
And if you disagree, feel free to elaborate as to why you think it's a bad idea c:
@GirlsAskGuys is this something you could take into consideration?

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as it's a small character limit then I think it would be a good idea. Also maybe they could add a few more options to the 8 that are already there. Like they could add an "other" category for of your resonance for filing a report doesn't fall under the existing categories and then only if it falls under other then you can add a response :/

Honestly though it doesn't really matter that much to me since I've only ever reported someone once. So it's not really a feature I'll be taking advantage of but other people will probably like it.

• I agree. It won't make a huge difference for me either since I don't really report people all too often, but it would still be a nice feature to have since I sometimes find myself being disappointed in the fact that I can't elaborate once I DO report someone :p

• Agreed, the one time I did file a report, I was disappointed that I wasn't able to add anything. Also I was slightly confused as to which category was the most appropriate to file the report under.

What Guys Said 14

• I vote no. If something is out of line enough to warrant being reported, it should be obvious enough without the reporter having to explain it. The moderators know the rules, and they can see the post and all the relevant context so they already have everything they need to make their own judgement already. If you're worried that people won't be able to see why something warrants reporting without additional commentary, perhaps you need to rethink whether you should be reporting it at all.

Besides, if the reporter gets to explain their case, wouldn't it only be fair to allow the reported poster to explain theirs too? Things would just start to get silly, best to just let the moderator just make up their mind on their own.

• "perhaps you need to rethink whether you should be reporting it at all."
      Except that when you report someone's opinion or comment, you are only given 8 different "reasons" to pick from. So, that statement doesn't really make a lot of sense. Sometimes, those reasons don't cover the actual reason why I'm reporting someone. Take "nonsense" as an example. You can report someone for posting a nonsensical question on here, but not for posting a nonsensical answer or comment. For instance, I saw an underage girl on here that asked if there are ways for her to get her boobs to grow. A guy literally told her that her boobs will grow when she loses her virginity (false), and if she lets someone fondle her breasts (also false). That's complete nonsense, and really bad advice too, especially to give to someone who's under 18 because they might take an answer like that seriously. I wanted to report it as nonsense, but I couldn't, because it wasn't an option in the "reasons" category.

• Hence, a comment could have clarified exactly why I decided to report that person, since none of the "reasons" were really applicable. And like Hans said, if someone has said something bad in a PM, it would be nice to be able to elaborate on exactly WHAT that person said. There are plenty of different instances where a small comment could be really useful and helpful.

• Perhaps the 8 reasons given are the only reasons GAG think opinions should be reported for. I can see why 'nonsense questions' are prohibited, that's to stop the feed being full of spam or idiots who think they're being deep by posting song lyrics as questions. But someone being wrong or giving bad advice in an opinion? Doesn't sound like something that should involve moderators, that sounds like the sort of stuff that should just be called out by the rest of the community (which I'm assuming you also did). The moderators don't want to dealing with reports for every thing someone does on this site that pisses someone else off.

As for offensive PMs, does this site not have a 'block sender' feature? For anything really serious like threats of violence or anything criminal, I'm certain GAG *will* be able to get at the content of those PMs to investigate. those PMs to

• Yes I do think it is a good idea. As long as it is not super long. It gives you the ability to say to the admin why you think it should be removed.

• "It gives you the ability to say to the admin why you think it should be removed."
      huh?

• haha.. what I mean is pretty much what you have said in the question. As different people think differently you will have differences of opinions to the admins that remove the questions sometimes. I agree that sometimes adding the reasons you reported it out of the selected options is sometimes not enough. Being able to comment if you want as well means that you can get the admin to see it from your point of view more easily.

• Oh hahaha that is ok.

• It's not that I disagree but I don't see the point in it. Why should mods and admins even care or read about those details? They just need a reason like trolling, flaming, harassing etc. And maybe a link to the post that offended you.

It's also kind of childish too because you can basically make up any lie and since the person being reported can't read your letter he can't defend himself. What's stopping you from saying I sent you dick pics even though I didn't? Only admins would know if it's true or not but the mods would just take your word for it?

So I guess I'm leaning towards no it's not what I would consider a particularly good idea. I just think it's not needed. But maybe you can give me an example of what you had in mind? In what cases would this be important to have?

• To clarify, I'm saying it's not a good idea because it could easily get abused by others for the wrong reasons.

• It was brought to my attention that only admins would be able to see the comments.
      I can't come up with any concrete examples at the moment, but I have in the past felt like the reasons we can choose from are often too vague, or like none of them truly fit the real reason as to why I'm reporting someone. And it would simply be nice to be able to elaborate a little, to make my reasoning more clear. Like I said, adding a comment would preferably be optional, so you wouldn't have to use it if you don't want to. The comment wouldn't have to be longer than like 100 characters either. I just thought that this could be a necessary (optional) thing, considering that I've found myself thinking "damn, I wish I could elaborate a little" a few times when trying to report someone.

• @lumos I definitely agree that there needs to be more reasons and options to choose from. Like for example you could pick [harassment] then there should be other options to specify what kind of harassment it was. Just a lot more options to choose from would be certainly welcomed and in my opinion better than a little personal love letter I think. :)

Current options are:

Adult Content
      Antagonistic
      Explicit
      Grammar
      Member Post
      Offensive
      Spamming
      Underage

I'm really surprised there's no trolling/flaming and harassment options. But yeah they should just add more reasons and go more in depth with sub options I think.

• yup i agree

• I think an optional comment could be useful, especially when you report an account.
    In case of a question, opinion or comment the admin team can read what you reported and judge based on the same info you saw.
    But if you report a user for PM'ing no one can know what type of PM's the person has written you. There, the comment could help. So my vote is A.

• I agree. Insightful as usual, thanks for your input :)

• Best not to be 1

• Haha @Kangy, why not? When I see an offensive comment or question now I can do something about it... apart from that I'm still just a GAG member and enjoying myself :-)

• Yes, I feel like they won't get it why I'm reporting.

• I feel the same way sometimes.

• Yes I agree. Sometimes I can't decide what is the exact reason of my reporting because none of the listed reasons fits it. So comments can at least help the site to improve the list of reasons, terms & policy.

• I agree.

• Yeah, random reports don't do anything.

There needs to be an explanation, otherwise that's Nazi-style gestapo tactics

• It's a really great idea.

• I don't know, I have reported posts that really did not need any explanation as to why I was reporting them, such as "Fuck you." "You're a dumbass." "Go kill yourself." etc. and nothing was done about them. Yet I've had posts that were pretty moderate and not offensive at all get taken down just because some popular user here disagreed with me. I honestly think some of the mods here are buddies with certain users and so when you report those users the mods will just delete the report so the admin never sees it.

• Yes, that's one thing that surprises me as well. Really nasty comments like the ones you mentioned often go unnoticed, whereas other random answers get taken down because of petty disagreements. It's sad, really.

• ... or some girl is killing herself because all the mean dudes on here told her that it's her own fault that she got raped.

• This is probably not the best place to go for rape-counseling..

• Yes, because I would like to justify my opinion and be clear on why am I reporting them. I think that it would be a good action

• Yes i agree with you on this and support you on this feature to be added/ updated

• Sounds like a great idea. I voted A

• Excellent idea. I agree and I think it would be helpful to decide for removal and also keep some posts up that should not be reported.

• hell yes, guru

What Girls Said 6

• I have wished GAG would implement something like that for a long time now. I do think it would be helpful not only for users who report things but also for us mods who hide posts. Sometimes I feel like a post should be hidden but the options given don't 100% explain why I hid it.

It would be nice to have a little comment box so the admins know for sure why I hid a particular post although I'm sure they don't have much trouble figuring it out most of the time, being able to comment something would just make it easier to clear up any confusion. Some posts simply break the rules in a more obvious way than others, a comment box would help with the ones that aren't so obvious.

• I agree 100% :)

• Ooo I see. So that means that only the admins would be able to see the report comment too?

• Yes, mods would not be able to see that.

• I like this idea. Even if they put a really small character limit so they don't have to waste time reading a whole paragraph of whining, I think it would be cool.

• Exactly. I think that around 50-100 characters should be enough, usually the reason behind reporting someone is pretty simple. :P

• It would be a good idea. Sometimes it's obvious. People put p*rn in their profile picture but when it's a comment that is extremely out of line, it would be better to be able to explain why.

• Exactly, which is why I think a comment should be optional. When it's not as obvious, it would feel better to be able to add a comment, in order to make sure that the mods/admins know your exact reasoning behind it. That way they're more likely to take you seriously.

• yes sound like a good idea, sometimes i thought of adding something to justify the reason for reporting. but since they dont have it i thought and hope they would remove it

• Yeah, sometimes I find myself thinking that none of the reasons they've listed truly fit why exactly I've reported someone, it's somewhat disappointing.

• i agreed

• I agree, sometimes I want to tell why im reporting them.

• You are right.