What's with the super strict policing of "antagonism" on this site?

Why is this site so strict about the wording of posts? I've had two posts removed recently for being "antagonistic" when the worst term I used was "idiotic". Not even in reference to a specific person either, simply criticizing how certain groups hold contradictory ideas. I don't understand why the site feels the need to be THAT strict about posts. I mean, maintains order is nice, and preventing people from being completely out of line, but just calling hypocrisy "idiotic"? Are we not allowed to express at all negative views about anything anymore? Basically, why is this site so strict, and how does it determine what is "antagonistic"?

Most Helpful Guy

• You'd want to talk with admins in regards to the posts.

If it looks like a post is being meant to antagonize another user which means the debate would be more hostile than friendly than a mod will mark it as such. In the end the admins review the posts. Nobody's perfect. Friendly debates are great but a debate that gets full of name calling and such is not a good thing.

I notice you're mentioning groups and stereotypes so it sounds like you mighta been in a controversial topic. I'd be very careful of those "hot topics" honestly because if people have strong opinions much like you're mentioning it can be very easy to offend somebody even if you don't mean to. I'm not saying to "walk on eggshells" when you type but just have that thought in the back of your mind. Pretend as if you're talking to people in front of you. Anonymity easily causes people to talk differently without the confrontation. So things people would not say in a group of people become a lot easier for people to say at a computer screen. If you have a passion for something and somebody called it idiotic, you might be offended but if it's something you don't care about, you wouldn't be. So just keep that in mind.

What Guys Said 9

• There was only one opinion of mine removed in the past few days that really surprised me, that was me saying that "the idea of sexual purity is stupid". I guess I should have gone into detail on how it oppresses women and how it's actually... well, nonsensical, arbitrary, and based on an idea of morality that's defined by nothing but social circles. And how it can cause feelings of shame and guilt during engaging in physical intimacy with your partner, thus being a cause for detrimental elements in people's sexual relations.

Alas, "antagonism" is mostly used if you're name-calling to a specific person, such as "you are an idiot" or anything along that line that's even more harsh. Instead of "idiotic", you could say "you're being hypocritical". Ta-dah, no mod would ever remove that if it's true.

• When you discuss an opinion you can give a comment on the comment. ("This opinion is______")
    Do not attack the person: that's an 'ad hominem' . It's never acceptable. Not here, not in HS class.

• Yeah, I realize that. But as I said, one of the opinions that got removed wasn't even attacking a specific person. It was just saying that the fact that certain stereotypes about a group were self contradictory was idiotic. Which I firmly stand by. I suppose it's just a matter of wording it more pleasantly?

• I didn't read the post you refer to, thus I can't judge but wording it more pleasantly will get you less trouble, that's pure logic. Why use insults when you can say it in another manner?
      IMHO, generalizations are always wrong. It's worse when they are insulting.

• Nobody likes their beliefs getting
    bashed for any reason, even if the reasoning
    may be somewhat sound, hence posts gets
    hidden, as to not create drama and unwanted tears. ^.^

• Pure freedom of speech would be raw, wild, and natural. It would actually get problems solved a lot faster. But you have to understand that social engineers attempt to direct dialogue, control it, and direct it along the lines of their aims.

Speech is energy. Writing is energy. And part of herding humans is the ability to censor and direct all forms of potentional and practical energy.

As a business, GAG is therefore a component part of that social matrix. And it will thus fall in line with the current mode of propaganda as directed through mass media outlets via social engineers.

And now you know why.

• calling anything idotic is neither respectfull nor helpfull. so i guess its fine. there are way less insulting way to show your disapproval of something.

• I love I never get my posts removed anymore.

• True this is very strict my last account was deleted for asking a question twice which is stupid I had loads of messages on that account and I can't get it back open now

• Are you trying to get a rise out of me?

• I think it's subjective because what one person sees as antagonistic and hurtful and makes them never want to go onto the nasty, wicked and cruel internet ever again, another person sees as a quip. It's bullshit, the debate is not lively, it is ditch water dull if you go down the road of removing the right of free speech. If you don't like what someone has to say, you don't have to read it, you can block that person. I can understand vicious, highly personal attacks and 18+ content being removed, but sometimes it's laughable!

What Girls Said 4

• The admins want this to be a fun and safe environment for people to discuss things and give and receive advice. Hateful posts are just unnecessary. However, I don't know the contents of the exact posts you had removed so I can't speak about your individual situation.

From the GAG posting guidelines, which can be found in the FAQ:
    "Antagonistic- While we encourage lively debate, posts that bait or antagonize are removed. Sometimes it’s just a matter of rephrasing it so that it doesn't have a hostile tone.
    For example, “I hate all ______, don’t you agree?” and "You're an idiot!" will be removed." http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/moderators

So, basically just posts that are overly hateful and hostile towards others, especially posts that are name calling other users. Of course, moderators are human and we have to use our own judgement when it comes to hiding posts. However, the admins review everything that the mods hide and they are the ones who make the final decision of if a post should be permanently removed or put back onto the site.

• Yeah, I understand that much. My issue is just that my posts weren't attacking anyone in particular, and the strongest wording I used was "idiotic". All I was doing was criticizing the existence of contradictory and unfair stereotypes about a certain group, which I do still believe are rather uneducated.

• As I said in my answer, I didn't hide your post so I can't speak of your personal situation. However, if you feel it was unjustly removed, you can always contact the admins and ask them to further explain the reasoning for the removal. But the mods have to use their own discretion when hiding posts which can sometimes lead to inconsistencies but that's why the admins review everything we hide and make the final decisions.

• I don't know people get very very offended here

• You're right, it's totally unreasonable for them to ask that people not be assholes on a website built to help others. You're so right.

• Actually compared to other website gag is quite lenient when it comes to moderation