Why Do So Many 18-24 Year Olds On Here Think They're Superior To Under 18s?

When quite a few of them are still in their teens, and almost none of them are mature or have a lot of life experience?

Whenever someone says that an under 18's opinion is stupid or immature, 99% of the time it's someone from the 18-24 yr old range!!! It makes me want to almost fall over from laughing. I've never in my life met someone in that age range who was mature aka DIDN'T smoke, do drugs, party, etc. So, what are the over 18s basing their 'maturity' and 'life experience' on?

Most Helpful Guy

• Those kind of comments are usually for the ones who potray their stupidity, not others. I'm 23, and I've seen so many under 18s who are smarter than most here, and I've always respected them. But at the same time you cannot overlook the really stupid and immature behaviour of the rest right!! That's when you see the angry or agitated comments on their questions. I also agree that it's not right to stereotype everyone negatively!

What Guys Said 21

• Well I don't think all people over 18 are more superior than all people under 18 and I also don't think all people over 18 are more mature than people under 18 either. I am at university where most of the people fall in the 18 to 24 year old age bracket and it feels like there is no shortage of immature people. I know not all 18 to 24 year old people are immature either. However, I have meet mature people in the 18 to 24 year old age bracket and mature people that are under 18 to. This is why I prefer to judge a person on their actions rather than simply their age. If I am talking to a person under 18 of course I let them have their opinion and of course I listen to what they are saying, it can be good sometimes to see how people from different age groups think. In fact I think people that think all under 18 year old people are immature and have bad opinions actually have a immature trait in their personality themselves. Generalising whole groups of people is immature in my opinion, I have noticed that you have not.

• Sorry last sentence meant I have noticed that you have not generalised all 18 to 24 year old people when you wrote this question which is a good thing. :)

• Well I'm 18 (almost 19) in college but I've never done any of those things.

The main thing I have over someone below my age is I've made a complete lifestyle jump. There's a big difference between teenage years in High school and adult years in college. A lot of your paradigms shift and you get some good and bad wake-up calls. We don't think our opinions are "superior" but we've seen mistakes we've made in our previous years that those under 18 teens are making now. It's more than just I can vote now, I basically had to Compeltely alternate my lifestyle, thinking, and outlooks just by becoming an adult and going on to secondary education at a big university (those that don't change their lifestyles fail, by the way, it's sad to see so many kids flunk out their first semester). It's a much bigger difference than when I went from 16 to 17. If I could go back in time and tell/coach my 15 year old self what I know now he would be completely lost and probably reject what I was telling him. I see just how much of an idiot I was just 2 months ago, let alone 2 years.

And guess what? Those that are in their middle 20's and beyond will have even more to say and find my own opinions stupid and immature, just as someone my age would find yours.

It's a never ending cycle, really.

• Well, just by saying that partying means not being mature, demonstrating your knowledge of what a mature person is, is nonexistent. Explain me why having fun is a sign of immaturity.

But, to answer your question, those who say that an opinion of an under 18 is stupid, are immature, but it doesn't mean that all of those in the age range of 18-24 can't be mature.
    Some people just think that because they're adults, they are automatically mature and their opinions are all valid, when this is wrong. I've met many underage people that are more mature than people that are even older than 30. Maturity doesn't come with age, it's most of the time related, but in many cases it doesn't apply. Those who think that, shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Not that I ever participate in this bashing the ''Under 18'' crowd, I can however understand why the older group will look down upon them. Because most of you are all still young, and the same problems that you guys are currently going through we went through them as well a few years ago when we were your age. We know how immature and emotionally controlled the mind of a 14, 15 or 16 year old can be, because we've been there, done that, brought the T-shirt, and wore it out.

But don't worry over it, because the same way some of the 18-24 age group act condescending to you guys, they get it back by those older then them. I can't tell you how many time some 40 or 50 year old guy makes jokes about me still having breast milk in my mouth.

• Somone honestly said that to you? And they think they're mature?

• Yeah, they're older guys that I know, and they always say it in jest, but never with malice. Its just goes to show you, that even us 18-24 group get condescending comments from older people sometimes due to our ''lack of knowledge''.

• well I think no matter what age people are we need to be thoughtful in our answers. calling someone stupid or immature aren't really necessary and there are more mature ways to convey a message, although sometimes saying someone is immature may be a necessary reality check.

but why do people do this? insensitive. maybe it makes them feel superior to talk down to someone

• Well I'm 26, but I've never smoked, done drugs or partied, so congratulations, now you've met one.

Most people under 18 think they know it all, I don't think I've ever met an under 18 who really knew what they were talking about on just about anything. And as the saying goes, "if you're not a liberal in your 20s you have no heart, if you're not a conservative in your 40s you have no brain". In other words when you're young you're dumb and try to do things that would never work out.

• Wasn't that quote from the swimming with sharks movie?

• No idea where it came from, I heard it one day and it makes sense, so I repeat it every so often.

• Older people always feel superior to those younger than them. They feel like their experience is worth more than any kind of insight someone younger than them could have possibly gained. It doesn't matter about the age range. It's how people think and in a lot of cases it is validated.

• But why do they think they're opinion is more validated, when they've just barely left highschool or college?

• With age comes superiority complexes. Our age gets it too. The Under 18s may get it worst because they make so many brash statements. But I hear from people older than me often that I must have no idea what I'm talking about. They just have a narrow world-view and it's their limitation. Most people just get older not wiser.

• Never having smoked, partied or done drugs doesn't mean you're more mature, just that you've experienced less of life than someone who has.

Unfortunately 'under 18' covers a massive range of age and maturity, lumping 17 year olds in with children so people might assume they're talking to a kid rather than someone who is basically an adult.

If it's any consolation, it's also pretty annoying as someone who is 35 years and 8 months old to just be described as 'over 35'...

• Teenagers have been ostracized since the beginning of the time... some trends never seem to go away.

• We've been under 18, and now that we are older, we realize just how retarded we were. We can look back and reflect on our lives, I doubt you can look into the future. Kids under 18 always think they are mature and think they have the knowledge and perspective on life that we do. But you don't, TRUST ME, when you turn 20+, you will be shocked at how much your mind develops. I'm 20, turning 21 next month, and I look back at myself just two years ago and actually laugh at myself. You become a different person as you age.

• Do you think someone who's 30+ would consider you to be mature?

• Fuck no, I like to think they do though lol. I can tell by the way my uncles talk to me that they sometimes don't take me seriously. They still respect me as an adult, but they know I have a long way to go.

• With age comes experience. With experience comes age.
    There isn't always a direct correlation between age and wisdom, but there is definitely a trend.

• Maybe. In my experience most people just get older -- not wiser.

• Well let's see, I've been a 14 or 15 year old, have you been an 19 year old yet? no. And guess what? you've to grow up to be my age, and then once you are 19 and you see another 14 year old ask the same question as you, you'll realise how stupid you were to ask this

• So... How different are you from when you were 14? Or, how different is the way that you live now compared to then?

• Haha hold on to that last statement of yours, after you finish college you will see.

• Well, that's if I don't need to worry about debt, picking the wrong major, and actually being able to find a job.

• Well I don't drink, smoke, party
    or do drugs, so there. ^.^

Superior may be a strong word to use here
    but it's a fact that these people have lived
    for a longer time, which, supposedly means
    more life experience. ^.~

• " I've never in my life met someone in that age range who was mature aka DIDN'T smoke, do drugs, party"

so... you think people who do those things are immature? O_o
    im lost

also, its sheer quantity, -18 will not have lived as much as a 18-24 ... simple math on that point

• They can be, I have people in my family who use those things as excuses to not take care of their children.

• I suppose... But it doesn't change the fact that 18-24 yr olds aren't that different... It's not like I'm talking about people who are 30+, retired, etc.

• as i said, each person is different, but by simple math alone, someone who is -18 has not lived as much as someone 18-24.

• arrogance...

• Ah, don´t generalize. Some answers I have read from under 18´s are pretty mature and accurate ( SOME), however most aren´t. Even if that´s the case you never stop learning in life, even a baby can show you something new. From a baby to an elder.

• Not superior, just more thoughtful and knowledgeable...

It's just normal for older people to be more knowledgeable, they have more experience!

• Experience in? How are they acting differently from highschool kids?

• Those are definitely good points, although I've known teens who HAD to work since they were 13-14, because otherwise they wouldn't eat...

• Well, they did not have to work... Since there is child support services that take care of everything for you since you are under age. At 18 you'll have to do your own stuff though, they won't care about you anymore.

• Sorry, but no one really takes you high school/middle school kids seriously. Just reality.

• Well if someone is asking on details why their marriage failed there is no possible way a 15 year had the experience and same mindset to relate to that. Sorry but I don't take advice from the under 18 group lol

• Even if they've watched the same thing happen to family members, and can give a 3rd person perspective and an honest opinion on what may have happened?

• We base it on the fact that you just said "makes me want to almost fall over from laughing" no mature person wants to almost fall.

• ... Letting you know right now I never smoked, did any drugs, never partied, and pretty much never did anything like that. And I'm 18.

And second, I know 15 year olds who are smarter than me, and I'm pretty sure they can come up with an even better solution to problems than I could. It all depends on the answer of the person. Some people post things that aren't all that bright, and some people post things that will solve the problem easily. Age doesn't matter. All depends on the person.

What Girls Said 12

• Well, I don't think I'm superior to anyone. I rarely even pay attention to age ranges on here. However, I have seen plenty of mature, logical, responses from under 18 users here and plenty of immature, idiotic, posts from over 18 users. That being said, it is true that, generally speaking, under 18 users do not have as much life experience so they more than likely would not be able to give sound advice on certain topics. But of course, there are exceptions to everything. And that doesn't mean all over 18 users are qualified to give good advice either on particular topics. So, in reality, it just depends on the individual person.

• I do not think under 18s are inferior but when I was 14-16-18 I was a quiet girl. I was not excessively vocal as to want to have opinions on everything. I still do not have. but I have knowledge in some fields that I give opinions on them mostly. and if I say something I try to say with enough description as the time lets me.

If an under 18 be modest, I would not have a problem with him/her. But if he or she comes out to have ridiculous opinions or defensive emotion-based opinions on something I will not stand him or her.

about social matters for example let us be clear that a virgin girl who has not been with a man yet cannot have a descriptive evidential opinion on how should be the society's structures, the roles, the family. or a girl who was raised in an abusive family when she is still under the negative effects of it she cannot give a good opinion based on her personal experience and expand it into society. one should be inside a structure that is carried out in the best way possible first, feel that structure, then start to understand and have an opinion on it based on academic knowledge.

It is like a little girl seeing her mother grabbing a shotgun to protect her and when she shoots her arm breaks, and then she starts to swear at the shotgun. no the real place of that shotgun is in the hands of a man who can handle it. then you will be happy of the protection it provides. the distance between a good opinion and a bad opinion is in whether the man was present or not.

anyway. some under 18s are vocal. more vocal than they should be on some particular subjects. and vocal people do not get respect at least by the people who has some experiences, maybe they get it from the vocal people as themselves.

and it is not actually specific to under 18s it can be in other ages especially 18-24 as well but it is more seen in younger ages.

do not be a vocal, a mouth to unmindfully say things and you will get respect.

• Maturity isn't based on smoking, drugs or partying. But I don't do any of those things. Does that give me the right to criticize minors? No. Because it doesn't work that way.
    I respect most of the Under 18s here, I believe that they might have more experience than me and I believe an objective, sometimes a naive perspective is helpful. I even like how they simplify things. Although, I have to admit that there are lots of immature ones on GaG. When I do criticize them, it's because of the things they say, not because of their age range.

• I don't see how maturity as to do with smoking, partying or even doing drugs.

It's not because you grow up that you necessarily stops all those things. I'm 23 and I can tell you that I'm a different person than the one I was at 18.
    I don't think people our range think we are superior. This is a site about advises in life. It means it's normal that you have more experience when you're in your early twenties than when you're a teen.

As for maturity, most of us live on their own, often have a job and pay their bills. It means at least a minimum maturity

• OH! You live in France? Over here in the USA, the average rent is anywhere between $600 - $1000 per month without roommates, so quite a few people over 18 live with their parents. By immature, I meant people in my family who do those things, and have children and don't even remotely take care of them... it can be a huge sign of immaturity.

• We pay 500€ but our apartment is too small.

• Oh, well the prices don't sound too different... Kudos to the both of you for living on your own!

• I think that there are just a handful of under 18s who truly -are- demented. I mean, just last night, some under 18 posted about having teaspoon of Tide laundry detergent because she wanted to know what it tasted like. *shakes head*

• OMG, I've seen people leave those same comments on prank videos, y'know, like the ones where the drink fake bleach to freak people out... But the commenters drank real bleach, and told everyone how terrible the pain was and that they couldn't stop vomiting.

• Yes! Have you seen Fear Factor? People drink blood and eat animal body parts on that one.

• just a few episodes, was too icked out lol

• Sounds to me like you had a bad experience. I wouldn't loop them all into the same generalization. Not all of them are condescending to others. I've met several that are here to actually help.

• 1. I want to point out that even if you do drugs, smoke or party, that doesn't mean you're not mature
    2. I haven't really noticed it tbh. Over 18 people can be pretty dumb too here on gag.

• I meant people in my family who do those things, and have children and don't even remotely take care of them... it can be a huge sign of immaturity.

• Yeah, I can't really judge on your family, because I don't know what they do and who they are.

• I wish I'd never met my cousins :(

• Ya cause they r also dumb and immature
    Stupid dumbasses
    Don't care about what they say

• I'm 24 and I never did any of those things and I never smoked did drugs and never partied

• I think people do it because they forget that maturity isn't about age. Maturity is gained from experiences. Most people of course think the older you are the more experiences you've had, but they forget that kids these days can be through a lot. Don't let it bother you much.

• I guess they do it to finally say "haha now you can't make fun of me for being young because I am over 18."
    Personally an advice site is an advice site for whoever needs helps or wants to help. Nonone should be criticised for their age when they could have experienced more than the average twenty year old.
    Many just want approval and acceptance from others. I think everyone deserves that.

• See? You're under 18, and I think you understood my Q better than about 1/2 the people who posted here!

• Thank you so much, I alwats appreaciate compliments like that. Thank you again.

• We're all a bunch of assholes with a superiority complex. (Note the sarcasm.)

• I think it's easier for people to act that way online... I haven't met someone that age who said that in real life yet.