Why is this site so addicting?

I don't know why, but it is so addicting! Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• Besides real people and opinions, there are notifications, likes and comment numbers.

If a site has something like notifications or like counts to check on, most people will come back quite often to check.

What Guys Said 82

• Because events are constantly happening via second-by-second updates. So you check back if there is anything new. Constantly.

• Misery loves company.

• netflix has my love more than this site lol

• because of the prizes you can get with Xper maybe?

• I wasn't even aware that there were prizes until…seventeen minutes ago or something?

• because with the exceptions of trolls or repeat questions this site is full of real people with personalities you might otherwise not notice else where.

• Because if I want to talk to this many different people in real life, I'd have to spend a fortune on gas and food and whatever just to hope that they found me agreeable and didn't punch me in the face for asking weird ass questions.

Plus everyone that I talk to on here lives AT LEAST 5 states away from me.

• This site isn't just an advice forum... it's also a social hub.

What is the scary part is, this version of the site is built to be LESS like a social hub type of site. You would have been even MORE of an addict to this site 2 years ago! :-P

• Hi Prof_Don... What makes you say this version is less social than before? Which features are missing for you?

• @menguc a few factors include:

* the chat bar feature being embedded in the website (being able to chat simultaneously while browsing the site, made this site feel more communal and less transient)

* having "followers" instead of "friends" , and not being notified when getting a new one

*having only one profile pic per profile (I understand data storage isn't cheap so I get it lol)

-----

It's mainly those three factors (especially the lack of embedded chat)

I still love GaG regardless!

• Thanks for the feed back Prod_Don.. Follow notifications will soon be available... and new profiles are on the way too... very soon.. Chat feature is semi-available with the messaging page.. It acts like a chat flow if you have it open, try it :)

• Yes it can be very addicting. I sometimes log out and then see a question I want to answer and then log back in to answer it lol and I often log out on my Mac and then go to bed and pick my iPhone up and continue on this site. I usually leave this site logged in on my iPhone but log out on my Mac.

• I think part of the reason is that you get --- ideally --- reinforcement for the actions you take. Feedback to your questions, for instance, or to your opinions. That little orange notification dot thing is like sugar being mainlined into your system!

• Oh, I can't take another heartache. Though you say you're my friend, I'm at my wits end. You say your love is bona fide. But that don't coincide with the things that you do. And when I ask you to be nice, you say. You gotta be Cruel to be kind in the right measure. Cruel to be kind it's a very good sign. Cruel to be kind means that I love you Baby, you gotta be cruel to be kind. Well, I do my best to understand, dear But you still mystify and I want to know why. I pick myself up off the ground To have you knock me back down again and again And when I ask you to explain you say.

You gotta be
    Cruel to be kind in the right measure
    Cruel to be kind it's a very good sign
    Cruel to be kind means that I love you

• Don't you know it is addicting! Real answers from real people even if they are someone you will never know. Guilty pleasure at it's best!

• Because you get to vent or ask questions with some anonymity and poll thousands of people who willingly offer their perspectives.

• Same here. I look at this site and I go, eh... boring. But the moment I give my opinion somewhere, my mind just goes "Okay... whats the next question" I've done this for hours sometimes. I guess it's fun because you're helping someone and it gives you a sense of satisfaction? or perhaps other peoples lives are just more interesting than yours.

• Because people like to be nosey... including me.😛

• Don't worry. That passes.

• This site is addictive because we all wonder, and or have questions about ourselves and the opposite sex. You're on a smart phone or a computer therefore you can be anyone you want. So this site allows folks to openly ask and answer some of the most embarrassing things.

• Because people tend to have the same problems as you do, but on here, they and you, are not afraid to show them

• it's fun, ad I come on here when I'm drunk a lot XP

• Do you drink a lot lol

• Oh I know it's not healthy... but I like it so I do it... humans have bee drinking since the dawn of man (at least recorded history) and I don't plan on breaking that tradition XP @PsyNoodles

• @ladsin Oh drink all you want, I'm not against it lol

• we enjoy wasting out time on pointless questions... and it's much better than Facebook or Twitter

• I ask myself the same question.

• because i've been secretly lacing some of the questions with crack while the moderators werent looking.

• No idea. I do enjoy it though, don't care to find out why I'm on here everyday. Collective thinking is attractive I guess.

• It's nice to see the ladies points of view , you ladies can be lovable , charming but also mean & infuriating at times , lets be fair we can drive each other nuts , but kissing & making up is also fun !!!

• It let's me be open and talk about my life without being judged , and it's full of nice people

• I think because it interesting what questions come up with and what people think also it does help people i acutually tried oyt some opnions i got and it worked.

• Its Fun to hear how boys&girls think differently :)

• Simply because it is, its not the why you should be asking its the how.

• People want to know how to improve as humans. What better way to do so than to ask people questions and adapt to different environments. 'Tis evolution, hon.

• I believe it's because you can say what you think. If people want to give you a hard time about it you can tell them where to get off. I do all the time. Also you do get some good opinions.

• Because you can share all kinds of opinions and solicit that of others. Most people here seem to be honest and mostly open minded and socially capable

What Girls Said 45

• I have no idea why but it really is. Lol I find it to be entertaining when I'm bored but I also like to answer questions and try help others. People get notifications for things and it's just a fun site :)

• I have no idea but I'm with you! I keep coming back for more

• Ability to practice typing & spelling "skills"
    while being distracted from how boring this is
    by topics out of the blue on which comments seem to easily flow out of me.
    Certainly some topics are more titillating, fun, et al. than others to motivate one to stick to it, instead of returning to reality.

• I have no idea why. I guess I like chipping in on things (I'm very opinionated) and also finding out what people think of certain things.

• I also like checking my notifications. If I don't come on for one day, I get over 130 notifications and about 70 notifications if I don't go on for half a day.

• I think it's because most, if not all, are real and many would criticize but few would judge and we're lonely beings wanting to connect to other people who are outside our realm of "reality"

• people get attention from others where they do not in real life.

• Because, Its here you can find people with whom you can relate. You get solutions to your problems. You can help others out. It feels good when you can help others from your own personal experiences. You are free to give your opinions as you can hide your identity.

• its a good, fun, easy way to kill time. and you can meet people, have good conversations, gain advice, give advice etc. there's so much to do on this site, i think it keeps people coming back. and also you can gain points towards money. kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

• I don't know if you figure out how to make it less addictive let me know ok.

• Seeing other peoples' shitty problems makes you feel better about your own :P
    And it's cool to see a different perspective on things that you may not have thought of before.

• Coz we need people to respond to us, which obviously won't happen in an instant bcoz of all the time differences, people's schedules, etc. And while we are waiting for the replies, we get into other conversations. So, its like a web we end up weaving, which we get caught in. LOL.

• i don't know but you are fucking gorgeous

• Because it's the easiest way to get an opinion for a problem without feeling judged.

• When you're bored it's easiest to see what others are up to and see if you can help... =)

• I love connecting with people that I would never have a chance to talk to in real life. They're diverse, interesting and fun.

• Not even sure how to put it into words besides, "it just is." :P

• I wish I knew the answer to that :'(

• cause people at this site have given me better life advices and advices to problems im dealing with then friends and family from real life. that and i dont have mutch else to do.

• Many reasons but for me its the freedom to ask questions, share or read them that are important but are either too delicate in nature, taboo or not welcomed in other settings.

• Because we are here for some reasons- amazon giftcard, boredom etc

• I don't wanna freakin' talk about how addicting this site is it's making me mental.

• Its fun to be on 😃 and informative

• I feel the same way... lol

• Because you like giving advice, I was like that with yahoo answers

• No not really. It's always the same questions

• It is its fun and interesting. I love giving others advice. And looking at others views on life

• I dont think it's addictive I only come here when I'm either really really bored or need and opinion before I tell my bf lol

• The only reason I'm here is for the x points lol.. And to ask questions

• *addictive

• Not addicting, been on other forums. Am here for the dinner gc lol

• More from Girls
    15