Automatic Most Helpful Opinions?

I don't know if many of you have noticed this, but I noticed that if I don't choose a MHO for a while, the system automatically chooses it for me.

I think that's bad. It makes it look like I chose something I didn't even want to, even if someone insulted me, it would do that too?

What do you think?

• That's good
  • I don't like that system
  • Results

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it's been like this for a little while now. You have 30 days after you ask a question to pick an MHO, if not then the system picks it for you. And yes, whether you or the system chooses the MHO, it cannot be changed afterwards.

It's set up like this in order to encourage question askers to choose the MHO themselves. It earns both the QA and the answerer Xper points, and of course it shows them that you thought they had the most helpful or interesting response. Plus you'll actually get to decide which answer you want as MHO, unlike sometimes when the system happens to pick one you might not agree with as being the most helpful.

• I'd love an option to change MHO that has been set automatically.

• There are some topics I'd rather not choose sides on, such as religious debates.

• Ah yeah, that's true, sometimes it's hard to pick.
      Well, not sure if that set-up will ever be changed or not... but in the meantime you'll just have to beat the system to the punch.

What Girls Said 5

• Part of posting a question is choosing a helpful opinion afterwards. It shows appreciation to all the people who put in effort and gave you answers. The system is done that way to encourage people to select a most helpful opinion as well. If you don't want one being chosen for you then the solution is simple, select your own one :)

• It would be nice to be able to change an automatic MHO, at least.

• It doesn't really show appreciation to all the people who answered. Just one. And sometimes no who answered gave a useful answer

• At least it means the person went through the effort of reading the answers to the question and then selected a most helpful opinion. That's where the appreciation part comes from.

• It bases the choice on the users Xper rating, how many comments and likes it got so it's not completely random. I think it's good, but neither of you get Xper for it. It helps me because some questions, there is no right or wrong answer and you're not asking for help, just views so you can't choose one! It's good the site chooses and someone gets MHO. Some people pop on, get help and never come back so at least someone can get MHO.

• It's ok. Neither parties get the notification so no one has to know if it bothers you that much lol

• I dont like it, so I chose my MHO before it reach 30 days

• I actually think it's good. After 30 days it's highly unlikely that a question will receive new answers, and it's also unlikely that people who asked the question will go back after 30 days to pick a MHO. I am not bothered by it in the least. I simply pick a MHO after a few days to 1. beat the system and 2. show that I appreciate the help I've received.

What Guys Said 3

• i always choose MHO after 24 hrs or sooner so i don't have any problem about it. :-P

and i find it surprising why most people don't choose MHO asap

• Wow this unheard of second rate website has flaws? Could've fooled me lol

• It's a good system, and I couldn't care less if it chose an option I didn't like. I'm just fed up with the constant messages I get telling me to select one.