What notification do you get the most excited about on GaG?

A new opinion? A new opinion comment? A new message?

• New Opinion
  • New Opinion Comment
  • New Message

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been on GAG too long to get excited. I still like seeing 'most helpful' answers though.

I have no interest in going out and helping random strangers per se, if there is one there and they need help that is different, but it was never something I sought out.

With the rise of google, it seems people's brains have altered. Our eyes are trained to skim massive quanitites of results or to quickly get to a point. It was not always so, I remember reading long books by specialists for knowledge on a topic and it was anybody's guess if my query were ever addressed. Finding a specific answer to anything you were looking for was generally a big "EUREKA!" moment.

So what does this have to do with getting best answers?

Well, I think on GAG that people have a very limited space to describe challenging life problems that are not easily solved nor even understood by the people reading them. Even the askers do not fully understand things enough to ask the right questions that would help them. So in a very short space, a massive amount of comprehension, insight, and "seeing through" the post by trying to imagine and fit the situation together, is required. A lot of it is just blind luck, hoping you hit the issue at its heart. This skill seems useful to me, and I originally came to practice it. The only way to measure is if the other person thought you hit the solution, or at least understood it in a way enough to be helpful.

I've grown past this stage. Now I'm just a boring old community member. But for tradition sake, I like to pay homage to the metric of MH, so that is the news I like to get most.

Aaaaand you can see why I named myself Pedantic. I did that on purpose. Sort of. =-)

What Guys Said 23

• It used to be 'new message' (I hope my friends are not reading this) but now it becomes boring.
    Now I'm interested in opinion comments because so that I can talk to new people and it implies that my opinion does have an impact.

• At a @mention if not an MH :-D

• Probably messages, opinions can be good but its kind of mixed feelings on one hand you have the feeling oo did I get a good response and on the other your thinking god am I going to have to deal with a troll lol.

• A new message because that's generally slightly more personal than an opinion (comment).
    A mention is also nice when it's in a positive context. Like a "thanks a lot" statement.

• where is the "new answers on my question" in the options?

• A new message, it's so rare... And it's mostly to reprimand me, for being a naughty boy :(

• A " New Message" from girl, who messages me on here

• New message

Then I see what's up and Im faced with a big fat
    "Your Comment (listed below) has been removed because it was too antagonistic."

• New Opinion Comment

• Either a message or a mention.

Since "mention" wasn't on the poll, I chose C "new message"

• I get most excited about new messages but sometimes for new opinion comments, too. If I know that I trolled much and I'm waiting for the hatefull comments.

• I love new opinion comments :D
    Followed by messages but most of my messages are from gag saying "you haven't choosen the most helpful yet!"
    I rarely receive or send messages to people :P

• Yes! When you think you gotta message, but its just a GaG reminder. Thats the worst !

• @epicman Lol whenever i see a new message it has 90% probablity of being just a gag reminder :P

• A message from someone. :P
    I usually think a new opinion comment notification is from someone not liking my opinion.. Haha.

• all the above. but no one has :(

• You forgot mention yo.

• a new message always excites me

• New messages, especially from you :) You?

• Aw thanks :) new messages or the mention one! I can't believe I missed it out on the poll lol

• A new message from my best GAG friend. :)

• New opinion comments, then new messages since those are rare

• I like messages from interesting broads.

• A new message is exciting cause i like to know which catfish wants my Skype id

• I'd say MHO... those are the yayyy moments... Followed by mentions, then messages!! :D

• the one i get the least excited about are definitely messages lol. its either spam or just a reminder that i haven't selected MHO

What Girls Said 9

• I love it when people mention me on things, so I think I get most excited about mention notifications. Followed shortly after by new message, and then opinion, and then question. If I asked questions more frequently I think opinion and question would be flipped but alas.

• Probably a new opinion. I'm not a huge messenger so getting a new message actually gives me quite a lot of anxiety.

• i would say both lol

• messages from weirdo turkish guys, so I can rip them a new butthole and skip away joyfully. and messages from my GaG homies are always a nice treat :p mho is always a delight. ohhh now I can't decide wich makes me happier... lol

• New opinion comments are my favorites

• New opinion for sure

• No one leaves me new opinions anymore

• It depends as to what I had asked or commented recently.

• Non of that :( ... I only get excited if I get most helpful opinion