Why are there more girls showing their picture as profile picture than guys?

Just noticed it. There are lots of guy who show their real face and not some figure of the internet or something, but I noticed that there are more girls showing their face than guys. Why is that? And if, why don't you have a picture of youself as profile picture?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not really sure. I think women are just more likely to take pictures of themselves anyway. Most men I know hate taking pictures and rarely actually take selfies. Lol So, that could be one reason, but I don't know.

What Guys Said 36

• I have like... three photos of myself from the past year. I occasionally get asked for one by people here and attempt a selfie and realize i have no ability to get one that actually looks like what I see in the mirror. Since the mirror looks like professional photos of me, I'm sticking with the mirror being accurate and my attempted selfies being distorted. But I don't like... invest time in taking better seflies.

I think that's typical of most guys. Taking photos of themselves is not something they do much, so when they do it, they do it badly.

Beyond that, I'd guess that an averagely attractive girl, if she puts some effort in, can get a photo where she looks cute at least, and gets more positive responses (and more obscene messages) in doing so. I'm guessing most of us guys, posting our pics has... no positive impact on how girls interact with us.

• People see a different image in the mirror as they look like in real life. A picture shows how you really look like. That's why people think they look better in the mirror than in pictures (at least, this is what I've read in a psychological article). Do you think that illusion is stronger with men?

• Don't know either. It always takes a really long time to make a decent picture of myself. That's why I don't take many

• Maybe that's the answer. I and most guys do not invest the time required to get a 'good' selfie, hence don't take many, hence don't post many/any.

• It probably has less to do with guys and more to do with a girl's desire to be noticed by the opposite sex. To put up a photo when it's not entirely necessary is a passive invite for attention, whether you want the attention on the surface or not.

Guys do this too, sure. But as a whole, most women value themselves mostly based on their appearance and desirability by guys (if you attract suitable partners, you reproduce). Most guys value themselves based on what they can provide for a woman (if men can provide for offspring, they reproduce).

There are very few cases where I'd stumble upon a guy constantly posting selfies of himself and basking in a sea of likes and comments. We generally think that's odd behavior for a guy and accuse him of being a narcissist. I can think of very many cases where a young girl posts many pictures of herself and basks in that attention.

• im still waiting for enough people to sign my petition to put up a pic of myself so yeah that's my ONLY reason hahaa.

• We urrggglyyyyy

• probably because when guys take a selfie, there's a stark realisation that it looks quite a bit away from the model ideal. You know, with the tubby or scrawny body; the dowdy parent's basement backdrop; and the metro-sexual far away from masculine, or hideously baggy, clothes. Women generally look better, and they know how to add in all the filtration/uber focused/blinding white light shit to make them look more passable to the naive, easily fooled, male eye.

• "Women generally look better." This coming from a straight guy?

• I don't use any filters and you don't have to see a body right? Not all women look like super models either.

• I think it has to do that girls are just prettier, so showing their face isn't a big deal.

Men don't exactly have that same advantage.

• I'm here to give opinions and advice.
    A picture of me is not required to do that. I also value my privacy.

• So far this pic didn't get taken down. I change my pics everynow and then. Can't really say why for the other guys.

• I thought everyone would enjoy my current display pic instead of looking at my handsome yet remarkably ordinary face

• Why would we put our pictures up? Why do people need to know what we look like? This isn't a dating site.

Maybe because when we put our profile pictures up we don't get a load of desperate dudes kissing our arses.

rs2img.memecdn.com/attention-whores_o_1735137.jpg

• So if a girl puts on a modest picture of herself, she's an attention whore. I guess a lot of girls are attention whores then

• I don't think it makes any difference.

• Being average looking males you an average human being? your picture will only detract from honest discourse (potentially), it's main practical function would be to garner attention.

• Cos guys have insecurity issues too?

• because some girls want to attract male followers that way maybe?

• Girls are bigger attention seekers that's why.

• Do you really think so? In my opinion, men like to have stroken their ego more than women, but apparently it's not shown in the way how women like to be ego stroked.

• I believe so.

• I've noticed this too. No idea why though.

• I have a specific reason for that.

• Actually two reasons. I'll tell you one.

Many people on here have and/or support "racial preferences". I don't. Personally I like girls of every races and multiple styles and personalities. Therefore I thought by putting pics of girls of various races I would in a creative way express my distaste for such subject.

• I love that thought! Even though I haven't noticed any racist people this site though

• Well most people wouldn't consider it "racist". Though I do.

• I don't want my friends stumbling over this website and finding me.

• I rarely take pictures, but here is one. Every dude has at least one photo someone took somewhere they just choose not to show.

• I don't know about other people, but the only reason I don't put a photo up is because I'm worried someone I know will come across my account.

• I totally agree. I show my real face and body on my pic and many other don't.

• I guess you really like manneken pis (not sure how other people call it)

• yes, I found that picture 2 days ago and I want to visit Belgium only for it

• Manneken pis is super tiny. I've visited Brussel three times and Manneken pis is not that special. Brussel is for other thing a beautiful city with nice people and delicious waffles.

• I'm a tiger that had an accident with a dagger while wearing David Bowie style makeup

• I noticed this yesterday too. I also noticed the majority of people goin anonymous when they dont really need to.

• i would consider it offensive/selfish of me to not share this beastly face with the world

• @thechica she a BEAUTY queen if she hadn't hide dat perrty face👥

• Two reasons:
    1: I like my privacy
    2: My profile picture works with my username so I don't wanna change it.

• I show my bow tie, is that good enough?

• I like some privacy, so I don't want people to know what I look like.

• oh? I agree with you.

• WOW I dident notice that , but anyhow U have my real pic on here.

• coz girls are a lot sexy but i'm a step ahead :P

• You're probably a straight male so of course to you girls are a lot more sexy.

• i don't even have pictures of myself.

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 11

• 1) slightly above average and above average women are simply camera friendly. when you are generally good there is no problem with the camera. and women have a stronger desire to show themselves so when there is no problem they show it and show it with a passion.

2) average women can become easily better with makeup, and with some filters and camera in the whole they can look better. so they do not have a major problem with camera too and as the group 1 they like to show themselves so they do.

3) this is not true about below average women, or extremely insecure women. below average women have more problem showing themselves than average and below average men.

4) some men tend to care less than women about their face. they either show it without a try to look better, or do not show it.

5) some men have insecurity problems, that I myself find a little pointless. because men's physical beauty is more of a luxury for most of them. means an average looking man with confidence and talent and a good mind is easily desired by the opposite sex and is more than enough for most of them. so having those insecurities really doesn't mean anything unless one is obviously very below average.

although we do not come here for dating. but insecurity is generally towards all women, like in women that is towards all males.

6) some men may not be very friendly with camera even if they are average looking. cameras can make them look worse than they are and they don't put so much effort in taking photos.

7) this is the internet and some men feel safer in their quest as creeps.

8) also again consider that this is the internet. and on this site for example people come to give opinions. for some people a special picture is inspiring and helps them in expressing themselves online, and beyond that they do not see a need to show more of them online.

9) some men are too good looking and want to hide their fragile selves and keep their virginity for their wives.

• Thank you for summarize some opinions and put some extra information. Maybe it's a natural reaction for men when it comes to insecurity, they think they're not hot and as result they won't do anything about their appearance anymore, because they think it's pointless and maybe girls are the other way around

• I used to have a lot of self confidence problems as well.

• I do not usually read others opinions before my opinion to be clear. and yes that is true for some if not many of the insecure men.

• My face is irrelevant to my opinions XD
    Also I am very blunt/straightforward, so just because I have honest opinions for sexually related questions, it seems to be an invite to some to ask me personal questions. Even more so if there's a face to the name. I'm not here for that (:

• As for the men, maybe they are happier looking than being looked at lol.

• I think it's nice to have a visual effect to the opinion people are giving. That's why chose to pick a picture of myself as my profile picture. People can see that I'm a normal human being.

• I have a photo of part of myself, not my face. I'd like to have some level of privacy since I'm sharing intimate details of my life here.

• I understand that and I think you made an interesting choice. You're showing that you're a normal human being without getting personal. I like that.

• A quarter of em' are fake. And the others are good-looking and confident. *shrug*

I personally don't have a pic due to privacy reasons.

• I think it's because girls are better at taking selfies since most of us are attached to our phones. (x

• i think it is because we girls take selfies all the time like day and night so we have more pictures but guys don't do this a lot like my brothers take pictures every 4 years lol

• I think I lend more to your brother's picture taking actions than girls. I don't take a lot of selfies either, but always make at least one a year

• Well that's true too. I can't stand taking pictures.

• @Asker well ofcourse we got exceptions but generally this is the reason i think

• Good question. Step it up guys! A few of you in particular!

• I don't know I can't speak for all girls but I do not mind showing my real face.

• I guess most girls in here are confident.

• In taking pictures. I hate taking pictures.

• Or in-person I should say.

• @Red_Dragon I feel i look better in person too. Sometimes the camera is unable to "capture" the person. You'd be surprise how many people I would consider to be average in real life, appear hot in pics. Then i see hot people in real life that just take ugly pic. And others where they look good in both. Just how things work i guess.

I do agree most girls tend to be lover of selfie

• The guys here aren't as attractive as the girls.

• @red_dragon is attractive. He's just selfish about sharing his good looks! ;)

• @BelleGirl21 he must be attractive. That's how I'm picturing him at least

• The girls are pretty, boys aren't.