What's the point of the anonymous button?

How exactly does it change anything? This is the internet! All comments are ALREADY anonymous! I mean, for all you know I could be a triple-nippled telepathic weasel from east Carolina!

I know there's no such state as east Carolina. That was part of my point.

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people are too paranoid. They like to think "what if someone I knew in real life saw all the fucked up shit I post on here... I would be ruined."
    I think that's what would happen to me but I never share my last name or the city I live in, so I doubt anyone could ever guess.

What Girls Said 5

• I mainly use anonymous to protect my reputation on this site and also because some of my friends know who I am on here. So if I'm leaving an opinion or question of a more personal nature, I use it.

I also use it to avoid getting creepy messages from guys, at least before I changed my message settings.

I don't go anon very often though.

• Ah. Good point.

• I do agree with others that the Anonymous trolls are annoying. They take advantage of the fact that they can't be blocked by the person they're interacting with.

• Well I think it makes them feel safe I guess. And for the record I don't think you're a weasel... perhaps a serial killer.
    *if you are please kill my math teacher

• you feel more secure when you ask the questions. People already are anonymous enough but they enjoy that extra coverage so when they asked they aren't ashamed of their question and will feel more comfortable.

• Beats the heck out of me. Are we not already anon?

• Just to earn an extra Xper points maybe.. and just too afraid to express their own opinion..

What Guys Said 8

• I guess people that are even semi regular here want to protect their reputation. Scurred of the downvotes. Or they want to troll.

Women do it because they just get messaged and harassed by all the random idiots.

• So people who don't have the balls to insult you with their internet avatar can insult people anonymously without an internet avatar.

• Beep! Boop! Sit and spin.

• I think it gives them a sense of power. Hell, I know right now I could start talking shit and nothing would happen because I'm sitting at my computer and not face to face with you.

So because people know they're safe they have more liberty to show off their true selves.

• My point exactly.

• They're anonymous for this website specifically. So people who use it don't wanna be recognized here specifically, their profiles I mean. I think this is the point.

• I am a robot not a miracle worker. Beep Boop

• hahah i agree with you, but i guess most girls (particualrly) use it to avoid creepy messages

• Just to be extra anonymous

• To post what you really think most of the time