Girls, guys, do you mind that on the newest release of GAG your exact age is visible?

I promise I'll aways tell the girls "how YOUNG" they are, but anyways, I can imagine some people would rather be in an age category.

I do think, however, that this will stop users from saying nasty things anonymously. Since there will not be that many "40 year old anonymous guys"!

• No problem
  • I'd rather see age categories

Most Helpful Girl

• When I'm in my 30s I will begin to hate that GAG is showing my age (I feel like it's personal).
    I feel like it should be optional like other forums are or in brackets.

But yes, you have a point by saying there's not much people over certain ages.
    So, with that being said they will definitely stand out more (40s+)

• Haha fortunately I do not have any creepy intentions so no anonimity needed :-)

• Anonymity can be needed, not to get blocked when the discussion becomes political or religious.
      Last month I read a girl here who wrote "I blocked everyone who's not my friend."
      Another one - an European guy- blocked me in a question about tastes & preferences in food: he didn't like something millions of Europeans like but he hates.
      With people like that one needs to use anonymity.

• I still fully agree with your opinion, so most helpful is all yours :-)

What Girls Said 16

• Haha nah, I don't mind. I did put a fake date as my birthday when I joined though, so it says that I'm 2 years older than I actually am. :P

• Aha I thought you looked younger than 22 :-)
      No worry, you're still Lumos and you're a nice person!

• Oh happy bday!

• @lumos yeah other people as well tried to change it in their profile but it wasn't possible anymore. So you'll have to ask the admins.

• meh... I care not.

• Like @Stacyzee said, probably most young people won't... young is young haha.
      I don't mind either, everyone can know I'm 39. But some who like to go anonymous will lose a large part of their anonimity... there may be only 1 male of 44 years old for example :-)

• There is no problem. But now people won't take my anonymous questions seriously cause I'm 14
    And if I ask a question about being married no one will buy it

• I'd advise you to mention that although you're too young for that you want to learn about it. That may help :-)

• Yes it bothers me because its easier to find out who the person is even if they are anonymous

• Yeah it's delicate of course... to keep the creepy people or shootists calm, it's an improvement. But for someone who uses the anon option correctly, it's a setback.
      Nice new profile pic :-)
      How was the weather in NY yesterday? White carpet around the house?

• I'm the boss!!! I've been taking the bitch to obedience school.

• Hahaha, yeah I see it in her eyes... she'd like to dominate but stays quiet :-)
      Well trained! I'd say use her age but you'll be under 13 than, damn :-(

• I like it. It will help with answering people's questions more accurately.

• I'm not bothered because there are plenty of 20 year olds, so it won't make people guess who I am when I post Anon.

• Yeah in that age range you're safe.
      If they show nationality too when anon you're slightly more in trouble (me too haha - Turkish and Belgians are rare on here).

• Don't give them ideas! :O

• Ssssst! Have I said something? Nooooo...

• I don't like it.

• Haha I knew that with girls it would be sensitive...

• But at age 21 I wouldn't worry... no one will find you old haha :-)
      Feel free to call me daddy if you like, I'm a little older!

• Im not worried about it :)
      And lmao :)

• My age isn't right >.> But it is close enough.

• Nope, I ain't bothered

• Good to hear. I like it too... less possibility for the creeps to act secretly :-)

• No it doesn't bother me at all. Why would it? hahahaha

• Why would it bother us, we're both nice & correct people. And I already knew you're a youngster to my standards hahahaha :-)

• @Jacquesvol I know but the reason why we can't post anything in Dutch is completely different: the moderators (except me) don't speak Dutch. We could be saying the most racist or destructive things and no moderator would be able to intervene. That's why we cannot post anything in another language than English . I didn't make the rules but they're there with a reason!
      And yes, you English is excellent, absolutely!

• @Hans222 I understand it: I'm an admin at a French site And I don't know much Arabic or Darija or Tamazight.

I do see a lot of Turks here too.

• I dont' care. unless someone is stalking me and finds out my birthday

• Haha, if I'd know your birthday I'd probably just send you a modest and kind "happy birthday" message :-)

• Ok for me
    I won't hide my age even if there is age cat.

• You've indeed already mentioned it :-)
      And no matter if you're 26, 36 or 46, you're a kind person. That's far more important!

• Thanks

• Yeah I do mind. From what I read, people only didn't like the fact that they couldn't see if they were giving sexual advice to a 13 y/o or a 17y/o. If that was the only issue, why didn't they just mark everyone over 18 as >18 and everyone under 18 get one candy icon for 17, two candies icons for 16 ... to five candies icons for 13, so people know for sure how saccharine their answers need to be?

• I know I'm old. Who cares?

• Haha, I'm 39 so you're young!
      And on a discussion forum, being correct and helpful is more important than your age :-)

• If imagine only some older guys trying to talk to girls >25 & a few women who aren't accepting their age who would care that much, but I could be wrong.

• I hate it. 😔

• Does being anonymous reveal your age? Testing.

What Guys Said 21

• I really don't like being forced to show that information. If I could choose I would make age groups starting at under 18 and then stagger age brackets by around every five years or so: similar to like it originally was a few months go. They could add an option in the settings to show a users exact age if that user desires to. According to your poll, almost half of us (not counting the users that are currently not using the site because of that loss of anonymity) don't want to show an exact age so I don't see why the owner doesn't add that choice for privacy.

• That would perhaps be an option, let's see if the admins consider it... not our decision of course :-)

• I think it started when people complained about feeling uneasy with sub 18 people asking sexual questions.

• Now the judging will commence. Before if you saw (under 18) it could be assumed the person was 16 or 17 and at least had an idea, and like that wasn't judgmental/prejudiced enough if the question came from a (25-34) range, now, when the opinion comes from a 13 year old, it won't be taken that seriously. Of course some nosy parkers on GaG are gonna love the new layout. but this change is doing more harm than good if you ask me.
    I do agree with the anonymous thing though.

• Let's see if it "works"... I'm not certain but I like it because people are "less anonymous". So there's a brake on being creepy as some like to do!

• I like the fact that all the creepers and extras are happy about the whole expose thing. but also, all the liars are not happy about it. Which ruins it for people like me that just want to stay a face and a voice, and thats IT.

• I see...

• I liked it very much. Now the truth will be prevailed & now it will be a bit easier to answer the questions :)

• I personally like the ages being displayed. I also understand why some people not like prefer it, though.

Maybe the best solution is to just make the age display an option in user settings. People can choose between displaying their true age, their age bracket, or no age at all.

• Yeah the problem is: it helps to freak the creeps out but it's not comfortable for the honest people in age categories which are not that common :-)

• I don't mind it, our age is just a means
    for humans to remember how long our
    bodies have lasted.. ^.~

I can totally see how some people would not
    be entirely agreeing to it, probably people in the
    old "under 18" and "over 35" categories.

But personally I'm all good with it.

• Me too. Everyone can know that I'm a 39 year young totally non-creep!

• Yeah I've been S-mod since Nov 8 of 2014
      not too long, but still a little while. ^.^

• Aha, I see! For me it could have been the same date. I could go explore my messages but I know it's something like 2 months ago :-)

• i like that because i can see other GAGers age, without having to ask them :-P

and i dont mind about my age... i've already mentioned i'm 23 before.

• I personally thought the age ranges were fine. Maybe the people should have an option of an age range or stating their exact age.

• WOHOOOOooo!
    20 and PROUD !
    *no I'm not , I don't have a beard yet

• I think this is extremely useful and I voted A).

• No problem I'd rather it shows our age.

• Nah, not bothered. Although I'm actually 23, so I'm not sure why it says 24.

• Yeah many people seem to have an issue with the age... you cannot change it anymore once you're a member, apparently. Probably because they don't want minors to change it to look like an adult!

• Much better than the three condensed categories they started using a month or two ago.

• I don't mind it. Going anonymous won't be as useful anymore, though.

• I'm happy to see the ages. It helps me decide which questions to answer and which to avoid.

• I always thought the age categories were too broad.

• We'll see if this solution works, I'm carefully in favour of it!

• this is kinda a new funky setup. But it is what it is I guess

• I don't like it but my age on here isn't right anyway. I believe 80% of the people who sign up for sites like this don't put their real age.

• I can imagine, and as long as they don't pretend to be adult when they're 14 it's probably not the biggest problem. But I prefer to be myself. Born 1975 so 39 years old.

• I like it, it's annoying to see an "Under 18" next to your name,
    I am seventeen and there a people who are 18 or 19 who disqualify my opinion just because I am under 18,
    however now they'll see that I am basically just as old as them.

• I do more or less agree with your statement! I'll also, as an adult, talk differetly to an "almost 18 years old" person than to a 14 year old. Previously you didn't know that.

• I did but now i dont thanks to @aizou! :)

• Haha, just be yourself, 15 or 35. The site is open to 13 and older so just don't mind that your age is visible :-)

• Yup... i was only worried about ignorance of my opinions but now i am not! Here have a bannana!

• Thanks! It's yummy :-)

• I'd rather see age categories

• Would be fine for me as well, though in my case people can see my age. I'm 40.

• Guess who I am.
    Not much anonymity left, is there?