Should the age be hidden, for people who post anonymously?

Currently the age shows for those users who post anonymously (questions as well as opinions).

Do u think that should be changed?

• yes, anonymous posters should have their age hidden
  • no, If someone posts anonymously, their age should be displayed

Most Helpful Guy

• I think they should go back to the old system of giving you the general age-range for people who are anonymous, but keep the ages visible otherwise

What Girls Said 31

• Yes, I believe so. What's the point of using the anonymous feature if other users can easily guess who you are?

• Is it really that easy? If I'd posted this anonymously would anyone really say "Hey! Thats Punkbuster107! You can tell by his age bracket!" =)

• Oh! I just realized they changed it to show the exact age. Now this discussion makes more sense.

• Yes, it should most definitely.
    That is the whole point of being anonymous so you know nothing about them.

• So anonymous users should be able to hide their gender and masquerade as anyone they wish?

Being anonymous isn't about hiding your details, its about hiding your identity, like your name and your face.

• I think someone should definitely have the option of hiding their age. InvisionFree allowed u to hide your birth year, but show the date, etc. I can see why someone wouldn't want their age known.

• There should be an age range like before for the anonymous users.

• Anon allows you to hide username/email/real name/nickname/etc.

There are thousands of people aged xxx. Just leave it. It gives the person answering an idea if you have experience, eg.
    "My boyfriend broke up with me"
    -aged 30
    -aged 14

The type of advice you give is totally varied, and you need that basis information for valuable information. in my opinion.

• I know why people don't want it to be shown, but the whole point of showing their exact age is so people can give more appropriate advice. Anonymous or not, I'm sure they want more appropriate advice and I certainly want to give the best advice I can!

• I actually really dislike this new feature on GAG. I liked the age categories instead of putting out someones age. LOl and my age is inaccurate for some reason. I guess I messed up my birthday. :/

• I voted no.
    Some obvious questions make much more sense when you see the number next to the title and you can or rather should reply accordingly.

• I want to see the age range as it was before with when it had smaller gaps like 25-29 no 25-34.

• I think so. What's the point in being anonymous otherwise?

• Nah, I don’t see why it should.

• their age SHOULD be displayed

• I don't see why it should matter. The age isn't going to reveal who the person is.

• it can make it easier to guess especially for older folks since there aren't that many of them here

• Not just anonymous users. I prefered it when it had the age range. Between this and that. I feel like it's a little invasive that everyone now knows my real age.

• Within the 13-21 age range, every year matters. Many people on here are in this range, maybe slightly older. Knowing the exact age of the asker can make all the difference. It does make 30+ anons more transparent, though.

• I see pros and cons to ages displayed.. Its kind of hard being anon when my age is a minority. Regulars will prob know its me based my age lol

• I agree with other users. It'll be entertaining to say the least.

• Personally, since there are not of older users like myself on here, hiding the age would be beneficial.

• NO , no more anonymous keyboard heros anymore.

• I think it's safer. Imagine giving advice to someone who's asking about sex and they're 13? I'd rather not. Knowing the age can help you decide on the best answer for that person's maturity level.

• people lie about their age, how would u know any way?

• Why lie you can come on here from 13 they get the same rights as all other ages but I will not answer sex questions from anyone under 18. Now I can see exact age I can decide whether I want to answer a person under 18. Obviously I'm more okay answering a sex question from someone 17 than 13.

• yes i think so

• Yes, it should. It makes no sense being anonymous if you know their age.

• No
    anyway there are many people here , especially those within under 18 and 18 to 24 age cat. people won't know

• I agree. You'll never figure our who someone is just based on their age group, and people would end up asking the asker their age every time they asked for advice anyhow.

• No, if the genders being shown it would just be right if the age is shown also, a lot of time anons leave rude things, so now we know the age and gender of them.

• No, it gives the remarks context.

• I don't care actually, but why should they get their ages hidden? How secret can you be? They're just numbers.

• Anonymous posts annoy me all together.

• It looks like the younger crowd don't want to show their age and us older ones don't really care.

• FFS WHY u even caree "?

• I like the old format before. Not the new one. Haha but the people who want everybit of info about everybody are nosy fbi-ers. The anons who troll are a very small minority. I don't take it personally because it's just words here... It's not they wield a knife in my back for real.

• More from Girls
    1

What Guys Said 20

• its easier to figure them out hahaa. im mot entertained looking at age now before reading a question.

• i don't care since i never go anonymous.

but this feature won't benefit anonymous users, because we can guess a little bit easier who he/she is XD

• Hell NO! Those are the people we need to see ages of because of some of the outlandish questions and answers I see

• Yes! Excellent suggestion! Then those complaining about being "judged for their age" will have a way out of it!

• I vote yes as now it could possibly become obvious at times who the anon is.
    Yeah you don't know 100% but if you have only seen 1 age 17 male anon trolling you and just 10 minutes ago a non anon age 17 and male got defensive on a opinion you gave on his question then chances are its him right?

• I would say not hidden but changed to "under 18". And "over 18". That way you are not inadvertently talking sex with an underage person

• I personally like having the ages shown.

I guess it's POSSIBLE that 58 year old dude, for example, might stand out from the rest and lose certain aspects of his anonymity, but it's a small price to pay in order to protect the young kids here.

Also, a heavy user's age being displayed when they go anon isn't the only thing that can give them away. People usually have very distinct writing styles that are easy to pick up on, and I'm sure many people can use that to deduce the identity of some posts authored by Anonymous.

• Look at all those keyboard warriors voting yes.

• No. This will be very entertaining. Hahahahahahaha

• I see a bunch of questions on here asked anonymously where the age isn't hidden. Is it optional? Is it only for anonymous opinions?

• I have no idea, but I picked yes. Even though now I'm thinking no.

I agree with Prettykangaroos, it gives the answers a bit of context

• I think the age should be displayed, even for anonymous. I mean how would you know if its not a 12 year old?

• yeah but wouldn't a 12 year old put a different age when entering an account?

• @nikiroxs Stop giving them ideas. :) I think Some people claiming to be 18-22 years old are most probably underaged. But there is nothing we can do about that. Obviously G@G can't ask users to submit ID proofs. But genuinely, If the ages are there, its easy for us to modify our opinions to your liking.

• No, their age should not be hidden, It allows us opinion (ers) to make of how this question is being stated in a sort of tone & allows us to answer within reason of his' or her's age group.

in my opinion.

xoxo ( No one should be swearing to those of 15 of age or less. )

• Yeah, bring back the range like it used to be.. at least for the anon

• No! Someone who posts anonymously should display it's gender as usual

and the age based on it's life experience and opinion.

• It'll be nice to know the actual ages.

• It should go back to the age range. Better that way

• Yeah the age should not be displayed

• yeah i mean, knowing the adge make me pre-judge somebody question

• yes i do... or at the very least put them back into categories when they go anon