Why do people ask questions if they don't want honest answers?

This is something I've been wondering about for a long time. I see it happen more and more. As soon as someone gives their honest opinion, whether that is critisism, well-meant advice or just something the asker doesn't agree with, the asker downvotes, blocks or gets really butthurt. Now, you can downvote or block me all you want, that's not the problem. However, why do people even bother asking questions if they can't handle honest opinions? What's the point of telling somebody exactly what they want to hear if that doesn't help them in any way?

Most Helpful Guy

• Very few people want the honest answer. The honest answer usually makes them face the fact that they have an issue, often, the issue is with themselves. They seek answers that suit their personal reality because it's a defence mechanism. They'd rather ignore or attack differing opinions because it's easier than accepting that their opinion is stupid or that other people have different, equally valid opinions.

What Girls Said 1

• Some people are just weird like that. They want to hear what they want. They want to be told the things that they agree with. Maybe their just asking the questions for attention.

What Guys Said 2

• sometimes i want to hear what i want too... i admit it :-P

• I've been wondering the same thing.