Am I the only one that gets annoyed by the bad grammar and spelling used on this site?

It annoys me more than I want it to. When I read a title with bad grammar, vocabulary or spelling I don't even want to read the question, let alone answer it.
Is this weird?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 26

• Haha, yeah, kinda. I don't bust balls over it so I'm not "that guy", plus English isn't everyone's first language here. The whole there/their/they're thing is the most common mistake, and I even make it in haste, even though I'm fully aware of the difference.

The one I'm seeing EVERYWHERE, not just here, and it's driving me crazy, is the use of "dominate" when it should be "dominant." Like I'm seeing questions about whether we prefer the guy or the girl to be "dominate" in bed.

Oh, and I see people saying "use to" or suppose to"... it's "useD to" and supposED to."

"Lose" and "loose" is another.

At this point I'll just be complaining, so I'll stop there, haha.

• If people are trying to communicate as clearly as possible, then that's all you can really ask for.

This is especially true for the multilingual users of the site, because if they didn't make am effort to learn "our" language (English), we wouldn't even have the chance to converse with them!

• Not really, I have more important things to worry about. (sort of not really)

• If the QA wants us to take their question seriously, you'd think they'd at least take writing their question more seriously. Some of the questions are just gibberish.

• Exactly! Those are the questions I'm talking about, if I can't understand the question, I'm not even goin to try to answer it.

• I'm with you on this one, Asker. If you can't be bothered to express yourself clearly, why bother writing a decent answer to your questions?

• English isn't everyone's native language, so for the most part it doesn't bother me. There's a difference between lazy/ignorant spelling and someone making a legitimate effort.

Also there's spell check, so most of you don't have excuses. :p

• Don't forget that people on this site are from other countries too, so it's natural to do grammar mistakes for them (I'm one of those, too), but I guess it's all right to be annoyed. Sometimes i get annoyed as well, when a person does a huge grammar mistakes almost in every word...

• I'm sorry Biracialqt I know my grammar sucks so I'm "hiding under a rock now" >>

• so if someone makes just 2 mestakes in one sentense would you get mad? :-P

(spot the mistakes)

• You're not alone, my friend.

• So what if I mispell wrods its ok y dont you just worry bout ur grammmmer insted of my grammmmmer. Like srly.

• You are not alone

• Naw, ya're nawt da only 1

• Not all the people have English the native language. For example me. and is possible to make some mistakes

• 100% agreed, won't read any answers with awful spelling and grammar, little mistakes are fine, everyone is human but "stuf like dis" is a no-go.

• Not at all.

• Yes you are

• It pizz me off. it iritetin..

• Yu nead 2 take a chiel pill fuuc fase

• N ur stoopid cuz no people do dat

• Nao it iz nit weerd, iz norm

• what do u mean?

• Thi s isn't eggsactly ediiitorializzed contentt), like like like a book or sumthing

• There should be a comma between "vocabulary" and "or".

My point being that everyone makes mistakes. It kind of makes someone look like an ass when they complain about grammar mistakes while making their own.

• I think he's talking about the obvious ones, like using ''there'' instead of ''their''

• On google it says that officially there should be a comma, but that they decided to make it optional, so we're both right, but yea I get your point.
      Not saying it's a rational thought, but I just get annoyed by it

• I love how they make grammar "optional", lol.

I concede that we are both correct, in that instance, and I sympathize with your original point. I have been a Grammar Nazi my whole life, but I've worked very hard to suppress that, because I know it's an annoying tendency.

I ignore most simple mistakes, which is reflected in my original post, because sometimes they're inevitable. Egracious errors, on the other hand, do still tend to ignore me, but in that case, I just skip the question entirely.

• No, you are not the only one, you are part of a pretentious group of popsicles...

• I think texting and abbreviations have enabled bad grammar in todays society

What Girls Said 13

• No, not really. I make some grammar mistakes, but that's because English is not my native tongue, but people who come from aan English speaking country should just take the effort to type their question well. Most grammar mistakes are made by people who just don't take the effort and my thoughts are then 'why would I take the effort to answer your question?'.

• This is just the internet not a class essay.
    I could careless.

For the most part If i can understand their message, I'm ok with a few errors.

• No, it's not weird. I get annoyed by it too. Yes, I do make grammar mistakes too, but I always try to check my spelling and see if I've made any grammatical errors. I get that people make mistakes, but at least put some effort into it when writing a question.

• Not in the slightest, unless they are too obvious. It would be hypocritical if grammar mistakes bothered me since English is my 3rd language and sometimes I make grammar mistakes too. I can't help it. My mind gets confused. I'm only human.

• I am a foreigner so even I do my best, I make mistakes. It can happen.
    Some questions are very serious problems on here. Problems > grammar mistakes in my opinion.

• I can accept not everyone writes well.

i can't stand filtery essays.

"just because he believes that does not mean he will commit the act. Not to say that is possible or impossible to determine the outcome. Blah blah."

• there's a lot of people here whose first language isn't English . it's understandable. no point getting annoyed.

• I get that and I'm not saying it's a rational feeling, if feelings can be considered rational in the first place, but I can't help it!

• sumtimez. dats why i noe anwser da questinz.

• No, but you have to take into account, that there are a lot of people here, who aren't native English speakers. And of course then there are those idiots, who use b, c, u and r as words on purpose..

• sometimes I make grammer and spelling mistakes and that dosent bother me because if I spell a word wrong I can fix the word with spell check to make it wright and it dosent annoy me if someone dosent spell a word wright it's one thing to be annoyed when someone spells a word wrong but no one should be rude or mean or insulting when u spell a word wrong

• I too hate myself for not having a good grammar!

• I make mistakes all the time, so I don't judge too much. The only time when I feel slightly annoyed is when people spell lose as loose. A lot of people seem to make that mistake for some reason. I don't point it out though because like I said, I make grammar and spelling errors as well.