What is the point of posting anonymously?

Doesn't the internet provide it's own sort of anonymity in the first place? What are some positives and negatives about having the ability to post namelessly, in your opinion?

• I link my questions through Facebook and many of my friends IRL visit my page to look at my questions, so the anonymous feature is nice to have for more embarassing questions.
  • I like to be able to post anonymously so I can get away with saying whatever I want without being flamed through my wall or through PMs.
  • I always post anonymously because I enjoy being an anomaly. There is always intrigue in mystery.
  • I never post anonymously. I don't see the point either.
  • I post anonymously so that my other GaG friends won't know it's me.

Most Helpful Guy

• For me it's just that you can look at someones past answers to questions and there are some questions that I see and would like to answer honestly but don't feel like having it attached to me. So I have answered a couple of questions anonymously.

• It makes some sense to be, but at the same time does not (not that I'm criticizing, it's something I really want to understand). Is it that you do not want the information in your answer to be linked back to you? Or is it that you do not wish for others to see that you are answering a particular type of question? Both? And is it out of shame/guilt or something else? Or is it more about the general need for privacy?

• *it makes sense to me (there really needs to be an edit/delete feature for things like that)

• It's that there are some questions that I don't mind answering, but the answers are so private that I don't necessarily want people that know me on here or elsewhere on the internet to know whatever it is I'm revealing specifically about me.

I don't mind revealing the information anonymously if it helps someone, but it might be something embarrasing for instance that I wouldn't want people to know.

What Guys Said 6

• We'll for one thing, to make it private. To avoid the embarrassment of having strangers know about your live struggles and personal decisions that you feel only a few people or none at all should know about. But by being anonymous, you can get advice and opinions. It's a great feature to also avoid online predators.

• I guess for me it is easier not being anonymous since I don't have any information/pictures on here that you can really link back to me. If I post about life experiences on a website like this, it is because I am okay with strangers knowing about it (in fact... I hope they learn from my mistakes). I'm not perfect, nor will ever claim to me. I fall to the same things most every one else does - so there is no shame in them knowing imo. I can see though how others may want to share anonymously.

• If there are unresolved feelings over something they are giving advice on, but feel they have been introspective enough about whatever it was to give good advice, I can definitely see the use in being anonymous.

• Thats what I'm sayinn!.. its like.. if you make a commitment and make an account, you don't have to put up a real name and real pictures!..

but you know what.. people have commitment issues.. lol or they are just here for one quick question or something.. but even if they do that, they don't actually search for that kind of question because MOST LIKELY, it has been asked before!..

Ive seen so many of the same questions!.. 'wat do I say to her'.. 'how to talk to him'.. -__- that's why people ignore those questions because we have answered them before.

But I definitely answer questions that sound similar but are unique.

• Haha Thanks for the answer :D I do think a lot of the anonymous questions are very similar... and I've heard from many that they don't receive as much advice as questions with an identity attached to them. I definitely think it can be to a person's advantage to post with their identity known :)

I can see both sides really :D

• Very rarely do I post anonymously or ask a question as such. I really don't care whether people know it's 'stevo' or not. That's just me.

• A disproportionately high number of troll questions come from anonymous accounts

• I don`t need to post anonymously, the anonymity of my account is good enough. Given what`s been posted on here the majority of my friends wouldn`t be able to piece together that it`s me, and those who did would have to read through a fair amount before they`re certain.

• There are MANY upsides to doing it anonymously, however, one down side is tha someone can post an answer anonymously just to say something rude or off the wall and get away with it : (

• Yeah... I've seen that happen way too much. And honestly, a couple of weeks after posting this, I did post anonymously. I doubt I will do it again, but I can see how it may have its use :)

What Girls Said 8

• because there are creeps on this site who can stalk you online by finding your ISP address. it's easy to stalk people or hack people's account if you know how to do it. but also, people don't want to be judged.

• And by finding your ISP address, they can also somehow track down social security numbers, bank accounts, credit cards, and where you actually live. it's so scary how UNSAFE the internet is.

• I'm not that concerned about being hacked. I don't download crap and I don't give out my passwords, but I was under the impression that it's easier to steal people's info than it seems. but it's more likely that people are posting anonymously to save themselves embarrassment and/or harassment from other users.

• Littletad:

"Very unlikely a hacker can find your IP address through a website." I've had once a guy doing a surface scan on my HD on a (Frenc) website, so even if unlikely, it still is possible

• i dunno. I'm always worried the guy I'm talking about is going to be on here too, recognize the situation and be like "I KNOW YOU"

• Hahahh ! I did that once!.. but hey she didn't reply so whatever that's that.. no harm no nothing.. -__- a big deal? nope. peece

• Some people might not feel comfortable letting others know what type of problems or questions they have so it's a lot easier to do that with the Anonymous label.

Privacy is very important to a lot of people.

• I remember reading on a similar question that Americans in particular enjoy their privacy. I wonder if there is anything to that.

• I like to post anonymous sometimes.

• i don't know why I do post anonymously, just subconsciously.

• ... some how I don't think you do it subconsciously since it takes a conscious effort to click the anonymous box to post anonymously. Maybe you are saying you do it but don't understand why?

• Oh okay - lol I needed that missing bit of information to connect the dots. lol - It reminds me of those t-shirts "the penguins tell me to do (xyz)" "the voices tell me to post anonymously!" It's like I'm compelled to do it and can't stop >_< It's a cute answer.

• Lol,

Thank you =D

• Haha :D Yay some one who posted that. Sometimes I think people enjoy being mysterious... and anonymity definitely does add a lot to a person's mystery

• I know who you are ms. anonymous.. I know where you live.. and I know what you did last summer.. not so mysterious are we?

• I post anonymously sometimes because GaG does keep a record of what you ask/answer and some IRL friends know I come to this site and if you read up on everything I said you could probably figure out it's me based on how I type and what I say. It's a bit paranoid, but I do prefer not to have some of it collected. I will sometimes also do it because I'm being brutally honest and don't feel like getting messages about it just because it's not the answer someone wanted.

• That is one that I think is sad, but have heard a couple of times. I don't think some one should have to post anonymously out of fear of flames/hate. That sort of thing should be reportable/stoppable and if it isn't then the people managing the site aren't doing their job. I can see how some one might want to subside the hassle all together though. I just wish they didn't have to :)

• It probably is reportable, but I honestly can't be bothered to deal with that. It's easier to use the option to post anonymously. I'm not here to make a name for myself or get the most points. If I can help someone then that's good enough for me. I don't mind posting anonymously and don't see it as something to take pity on tbh.

• I think maybe you misunderstood me - I don't really pity people who post anonymously. I just think it isn't very fair - but life isn't fair, so I guess that is the way of it. It stinks that there are people who abuse the anonymous feature and people who feel the need to abuse others (on the internet and irl). I'm glad that you are on here for the main reason of helping people though... this website lacks a lot of that I think.

• No one can judge you is the point. There are some people on here who will critisize you or call you names and be mean to you base off of your questions. They study into you and when they see your name on here a lot and may not agree with your questions or form opinions about you, some will use your past questions you posted long ago or something you did a long time ago against you and no one likes to be judged especially by people on here who sometimes act like they know you. When you are anonymous, no one knows who you are and it keeps away those who said mean things before to them cause now they have a cover so those people won't recongnize who they are and comment on there question anymore. oh and yeah you can just block but you never know who else has been studying you or keeping up with your questions so its best to be anonymous if you want to get away with asking questions you know you might get judged on.

• Perhaps it is just the way I view things. I was always an outcast growing up. I have a husband who loves me and many loving friends and family as well. I also have people who don't really like me and could care less about me and what happens in my life. That's just... life. If some one is being overly abusive on here, I know several moderators and always have the opportunity of blocking and reporting them. I hope if some one is stalking/flaming you regularly you do the same. You shouldn't have

• I'm sorry you had to go through that :( I really wish it was easier to ban certain people from this website... but there isn't a whole lot to stop some one from making a new email address and a new account.

• Yep. he kept re-signing up under different names that resembled mine so I'll know its him and he would only do it to say something to me mean then I would block him and like a week or month later, he'll come back under a different one. it was physcho