Why is my ex texting me?

Been a month since my ex boyfriend broke up with me because he didn't want the relationship anymore and wanted to be on his own for a bit. It was sad for me cos it was on new years eve and we had exchanged presents a week before and i didn't see it coming. But I've been dealing with it well, keeping myself occupied and been out with my friends which has done me good! But for the last few days he's been sending me messages on Facebook saying "Im so sorry for everything and how it ended! xx" I've not responded to him cos im still gettig over the breakup! But he's also been sending me messages asking "So what have you been doing with yourself? xx" I dont know what it all means, I dont understand why he is messaging me now after he broke up with me for having space and its only been 3/4 weeks? Should i respond to him or let it go and forget him for good? This is really unfair for me as its just brought all my emotions back up onto the surface and I've been doing better without having contact with him. And im not sure if i should respond as i dont know where its going!

Most Helpful Guy

• Explicitly tell him, "Don't contact me unless you want to get back together," then you know that if he sends messages other than anything about getting back together, that he is just pulling your heartstrings and therefore you know he doesn't and can continue to move on.

What Guys Said 1

• Clearly, he's having second thoughts... regret.

What Girls Said 1

• Don't respond, I had a guy that did that. He would text me be really sweet and for a week I would be all tore up wondering if he wanted me back but never did. If it's going to cause you any bit of sadness and negative emotion ignore it. He broke up with you. The only one who should contact anyone is you. He lost the right to make you feel anything when he needed"space" in my opinion don't give him any power over your emotions ignore him

• Thank you for your advice, im not going to respond to him because he hasn't said that he misses me or wants me back and i dont want to put myself at risk of getting hurt. I don't understand why he thinks he can have a friendly chat with me after the way he treated me! :L