Could someone explain to me why people use fake profiles pictures and ask to be rated?

This confuses the hell out of me. I've been noticing it a lot. Why would people do that?

Most Helpful Girl

• I talked to some people who did this some time ago because my friends and I had to write a paper for school. They have low self esteem and try to find a way to feel better. They use other people's pictures and even if they know it's not them, when they get compliments, they believe them. It does help their ego, even if it might not make sense for others, but the person they're creating kind of becomes a part of them so yup, the compliments they get have an effect on them.

• Think of it as a fantasy world where everything's perfect and even if they know it's all fantasy, in a way they also think it's real, mostly because that's the person they want to be so when you give compliments to that fake person, you're complimenting the person they want to be.

• Yeah it's like a moment of feeling satisfaction even though it's not really logical since it's not them. The mind can still feel being desired.

• Thanks for mho :)

What Guys Said 17

• I think because they feel a sense of being desired through the person they're using. Like some of the guys have said, I think your pic does look fake from a first impression.

• How does it look fake? These people I'm talking about are taking pictures off of Google.

• I hate my smile in pics, so I always make the kissy face. Also there are plenty of people who are half naked in their profile pics. Showing my legs shouldn't be such a big deal.

• There's nothing wrong with showing your legs. I haven't noticed many half naked women. I bet you got a lot of attention though.

• It's really a dumb thing to do. They wanna sell an image of themselves that doesn't exist. In the end, they're lying to themselves and not to us. Well, people do crazy stuff to get attention...

• Why do people rob gas stations only to make off with $34?

I can not even begin to understand people's crazy

• It's because they live in a fantasy world, and they think that people like them.

• I think they want attention.

Apparently women with attractive pics get a lot.

• The irony is that you're fake

• perhaps because they use that as their alter ego... an alternate world where they get to choose what they look like and be rated high to feel good. I don't know just a thought on the table

• Because its fun?

• I always assumed yours was fake when i see it..

• I guess to achieve some kind of acknowledgement.

• easy. for acceptance and favouritism.

thses things are scarce for a unattractive fat girl... which is why they can appreciate things

• It's sad...

• That's pathetic. This is why I don't do the 'meeting on the internet' thing.

• even now, I've never met anyone off the net. even dating sites dont interest me. but a lot of people are turning to internet dating since going out is too expensive.

• I wish I could, but sorry, I can't explain crazy.

• I've never done that. But there are some people say I'm not real I don't know why. I just think made it black and white since I think I look better with it.

• Could just be to get some attention on GaG. What makes you think they're fake?

• Attention.

• you should know better

• Probably want to feel like what it would be like to be good looking or something. Even if it is a total lie and pointless

What Girls Said 8

• Attention... it's all... it creeps me out how people go from profile to profile for hours looking at peoples photos... thus why i don't have one up lol you'd think they could do something better, i mean these days a lot of younger people are without jobs but you can watch DIY or cool life hacks or go on a hunting spree for a new programme or something lol that's what i do.

• I have no idea. I guess they like being rated and don't care that it's someone else people are actually rating. It's kind of pathetic in my honest opinion.

• I agree. How do they get any validation from that?

• @cavmanier that's interesting... and kind of weird. Lol personally, if I were to get compliments through someone elses pic, that would just make me feel worse.

• Yeah I understand what you mean about feeling worse but I don't see another motivation to spend the time having a catfish account with a beautiful person. They probably like the experience of being treated like a hot piece of meat. If it were possible to wear a fake picture or costume to a bar I bet since would do it too lol.

• Attention and fishing for compliments, but honestly who really cares, they still aren't that person in real life and we know that so if it makes them feel good about themselves for a bit let 'em do it. I'd rather rate someone's fake pic and make them feel good about themselves even if only over the computer, then allow them to feel so bad about themselves that they end up doing something stupid... just saying.

• I agree. I was just curious as to why they would do that.

• Oh, well they would like to feel good about themselves is what I'm assuming because, they do not feel good about themselves in real life or maybe they're just trolling lol.

• Several reasons, catfish, a guy posing as a girl, attention seeking to name a few..

• Was wondering the same thing lol

• Because it's a game to them.

• Mmm no clue. To get compliments? Or, I guess fake comments? Considering it's not really them...

• There probably bored... I just know I'm not fake