Do you think GAG should get rid of the anonymous button?

I personally think we need to abolish the anonymous button. The ironic thing is, this site is obsessed with eliminating troll but almost every troll posts anonymously. By eliminating the anonymous button, we would reduce the number of trolls.

Plus, I feel this button gives people an excuse to talk "tough" over a keyboard. I don't understand why people feel then need to remain anonymous. Even if you're embarrassed, there is a very unlikely chance you know these people in real life or will ever meet up with them.

• Yes
  • No
  • Undecided
@hourglass17 You were able to see both sides of the argument, so you get Most Helpful Answer.
@arj92 You made some fair points. Maybe BANNING the button is too extreme.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• It's obvious to spot an anonymous troll. All you have to do from there is ignore the post.

Sometimes it's easier to share or discuss something anonymously, despite not knowing people personally on the site. The option to go anonymous could (when people are being genuine) could make it much easier for them to get something off their chest.

People are different; and it's an advice website - if someone would rather stay anonymous, why would you want to take their opportunity to discuss something personal, with peace of mind that they won't be found out, away from them?

What Girls Said 15

• No I don't think GaG should get rid of the anonymous feature.
    Anonymous posters have their own voice and they contribute in the forum. There are multiple reasons why people use the feature. Some people don't want their opinions being attached to their online persona. They have built a... reputation to the site and they don't want a negative stigma when they want to give a... political incorrect opinion or when they want to answer a sexuality question.
    Others feel way more comfortable sharing details anonymously because they are concerned with their privacy. They don't want to be "found".
    Plus, there are people who use this site in order to simply ask & answer questions and they do not want to form interpersonal relationships by messaging other people or getting "known" in the community.
    Of course there are people who enjoy trolling behind the anonymous feature. Like there are people who troll with their identities being shown.
    And.. what's wrong with harmless trolling? Personally speaking, I have nothing against trolling if the purpose of it is to bring laughter or amusement.
    Then again, some people may disagree.

• No. One thing that I like about this site over other forums is that there IS an anonymous option. There are people who abuse it and troll and all that crap, but now we have the option of blocking that anon person on that single post, so I don't see why the entire option should be taken away just because of some trolls.

The anonymous option is what initially enticed me to join the site and ask a question, way back when. I still use it occasionally when I'm asking or posting something I feel is personal and private to me.

• Asker, I know what you're saying about all of us being pretty much anonymous to each other just by our usernames. But since I've formed some personal friendships here and the fact that some of my real life friends know my name on here, there is just some information about me and my relationship that I don't want anyone to know. So that's why the Anonymous option is useful for me. I can get the advice I need without the potential risk of all my friends knowing my private business.

• I would rather some teen girl ask about how to have safe sex on anon than not ask anyone at all. Some people are shy and that's okay, we should all feel comfortable. And if we want to get rid of trolls we can just report their question and mods will fix it

• But if you do not know these people PERSONALLY, then why does it matter? That's what I can't understand.

• Some people are still shy about it though. Social platforms connect us all in some way. Someone posts a comment and people get crazy on them, next thing they know everyone on the site is freaking on them and it was a genuine mistake. But if they had just been on anon they wouldn't have to be judged by that one mistake on this site all the time

• hmm.

i dont believe so. some people to heavily rely on it on this site. not everyone likes to reveal who they are and that's ok.
    sure it's more likely to lead to trolling, but they'll still get reported or kicked off like anyone else.

• No, I don't mind the anons. I personally never go anon and I harass them relentlessly ;) but I don't mind their choice to stay hidden.

• You're sensitive...

• I'm nowhere even close to sensitive, is that a joke? Lol. How do you figure?

• The only reason you now claim Virgos don't cry is because I said I didn't cry.

Horoscopes can be proven wrong, right now. If I read a a Virgo likes to eat veggies, and a Virgo tells me they don't like veggies, that obviously proves it wrong.

• I never witnessed them crying. Horrible bullies in corporate world.

• No, people should have the right to be private about things if they wanted to.

• But why? Do people on here actually KNOW each other? Most of us have nicknames anyway, so it's not like people would recognize us by name anyway.

• No. The anonymous button exists for a reason. And there always be trolls.

• But it would REDUCE the number of trolls. If trolls are forced to come out on their accounts, they will be deleted or less likely to anyway.

• Maybe. But I guess there are trolls who don't post anonymously.

• Most of the comments I see are anonymous, so if that feature was taken away less people would comment and there would be less interaction on the site.

I personally don't like the anonymous feature, because people think it gives them the right to be mean to each other.

• no I don't think they should get rid of the anonymous button because people need that so that they don't get judged or hate

• Asked questions would go wayyyy down, & false accounts would skyrocket.

• Asked questions wouldn't be too big of a problem. If there is an increase of false accounts, then the moderator would DELETE them.

• I don't think so because then how the hell am I supposed to troll people? ! :(

• No I think they should encourage the anonymous button!
    encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images

• I go Anon to ask troll questions , not to fight over the internet but to find out the genuine nice hearted GaGers. It truly does work too. For example , i asked a question to make myself seem quite naive. A guy who i thought seemed nice, started calling me stupid and he was really awful. So i blocked him, because after i saw his true colours. I knew i couldn't value any opinion he ever had.

• I must say, this is one of the FEW times I've asked an anonymous question: To find out people's true colors.

That is one huge benefit to the anonymous button.

• Yes it is, that's why i appreciate it so much. I treat everyone with respect, so going anon asking troll questions helps me to determine the gagers who are respectful to others, regardless of a person's own abilities etc. If that makes sense. Some GaGers are very disrespectful to people who they believe are below them in intelligence. I block people like that

What Guys Said 26

• It's weird; I don't take the responses from Anonymous people as seriously. I feel they're hiding. Why are you hiding? Own up to who you are and how you feel.

• All we need to do to get rid of trolls is for there to be a report option for "troll" or "not sensitive information" and give a mod the option to reveal that person's identity after reading the post.

At the very least, there should be some way to block anonymous people.

• There is. If you post on a question by an anonymous asker, and they start harassing you or trolling, you can just click on the word "anonymous" at the top of the question and it will ask if you want to block that person just for that post. I'm not sure if it can be done with anon answers though.

• True that, @martyfellow

Thanks for the tip! @musicbrain5

• You're welcome.

• All you have to do is not post a picture and you are already anonymous to the outside world, assuikng your user name isn't your real name, right?

I agree that Gag is just giving a license to troll by allowing everyone not to even have to give their user name.

And it's hard to respond often when you're faced with the blank silhouette, you don't have a way to relate to who they are...

At the minimum, people should have a daily limit, no more than 2, for anonymous messages and questions.

How often are you saying or asking anything really controversial or sensitive, really?

• Voted no, because askers have the means to force people into not being anonymous, but ignore it. It isn't hidden or hard to find. People just choose to ignore it.

Now, I wouldn't mind an option to remember your decision, so that you only have to select it once to make it the new default for that particular profile, but anonymity is important, especially since G@G rewards people for revealing their identities on social media.

• I think that some things that must be said are very embarassing for some people to show who they really are. The ones who need this button shouldn't pay because there are trolls. It's better to remove trolling posts instead.

• No, they shouldn't. While trolls are annoying, I think of the people who would be too embarrassed to ask a legitimate question without it. Some people are very shy about asking a sexual health question, for example, and if pressing the anonymous button is enough for them to ask rather than not, I have no problem with it. Legitimate uses shouldn't be penalized by a handful of rotten apples.

• there are more reasons people go anon than trolling and keyboard warrior

• Post on any website long enough with an avatar and username, and people come to know who you are - your persona. Get in private conversations where you let out more detail, and a growing number of people will come to "know" you on here. Hence the value of the "anonymous" feature - if you have a question which may be embarrassing, you can ask it without it being linked back to you.

Trolls will find a way to abuse any system, but I think the value of the feature outweighs its cost.

• How many questions really are embarrassing? Maybe 5%? People are anonymous here when asking about baseball teams!

• Yeah, I never use that, but I am still anonymous to people from real life... just don't give your last name or where you live, (or your picture), and you'll never be recognized.

• Obviously... but if you're abusive you can be recognized as a problem... that's the problem with alllowing almost all questions to be anonymous..

• let them be... after all i don't allow them in my questions :-P

• Sometimes the trolls lighten things up a bit though. I like the funny troll questions.

• Yes because over 90 percent here do and over things that dont need it

• A username and avatar being visible is not going to stop trolls. Source: the rest of the internet.

• Yes, people are already random anonymous people on this site, it's so pointless.

• No, because some people may want to hide their identity and I'm ok with it

• Hey, I don't troll people anonymously.

• No it shouldn't. Many people have legitimate reason to be anonymous.

Being anonymous =/= Being a troll
    Being unanonymous =/= Being a helpful user

That being said, I seen many anonymous users who are helpful and a lot of unanonymous who were unhelpful and rude.

• And just in case you want to know the reasons. Most of the reasons i think why it shouldn't be removed are already mentioned by other users on this question.

• so far MOST rude users i seen on GAG are unanonymous so this question is rather invalid if you ask me

• I disagree completely and that's part of why I'm posting anonymously now. Being anonymous gives people the chance to say something (could be their opinion or even a fact) that isn't popular without having their own personal lives affected or their reputation attacked.

It also facilitates more smooth communication because people feel more comfortable saying how they think and feel. So even if you got rid of the button people would make anonymous accounts to allow for that purpose. You would probably have solved nothing because being anonymous is effective for the function it serves.

• No, you can stop anonymous in your post if you like Though

• No, certainly not. They should get rid of the block anonymous button though. And they should add an anonymous option to comments

• No. You are wrong about trolls. People troll/joke around just as much non anonymously. Also what is the obsession with being so upset about people being anon? Why do some here get so terribly upset if someone is anon and is a dick to them? Christ people if we can't handle some idiot getting his jollies off by being a jerk anonymously than how could anyone survive the real world? And if someone is not anonymous and they anger you then block them and then go to their house and beat them up? If an anon is annoying you then you can now block them. Hell just block me after this. You can say something antagonizing and then block me so I cannot respond. I probably will survive the experience. Can some people just stay private?

• We should get rid of guys like you who want to get rid of the anonymous button. HAHAHA!.

• I think the easier option would just be for everyone that is so insecure about the fact that anons post on here to stop worrying so much about it.

It's just the internet, you're taking it too seriously.

• YES! UNLEASH THE HEATHENS FROM THEIR CAVES!

• No because privacy is actually a right... Checkmate motherpucker

• The website owners can make whatever rules they want. It's not our "right" under a website. Those are FEDERAL rights.

I have the legal right to post offensive things on the internet but it might get me kicked off of this website.

• Uh yes it is right. Use Google.. I live in the progressive European Union in which it is a right and not in place that is under NSA and other sort of surveillance agency there is. Furthermore Google has agreed in the order of the European court to filter and prevents searches of people to show up on Google which is in effect at this very moment. I am simply making it more safer not to be found on internet searches.

• There's no right to be anonymous on here. I would be only a few people would leave if anonymous questions were kept to some reasonable level, like no more than 2 a week or something like that.

• that would eliminate one of the main lure's to this site, to be abe to post anonymously

• I would bet we wouldn't lose anyone but trolls if the anonymous function were reduced or eliminated. And we'd have a lot more fruitful dialogue, better advice, since we'd have some feel for the person asking the question.

• @martyfellow go to another site then, cause the anon feature isn't going anywhere