Did Catfish make you paranoid?

It made me paranoid, now I can't tell who is real and who is just a big fat faker! Maybe thats just me...

Im bored. It was the first random question off the top of my head. Dont judge me...

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 12

• No, Catfish is old news to me.

I lived through the MSN Chat/Pre-Myspace Era, where almost everyone was full of bologna and girls on the internet were in fact, too good to be true. It hardened me in a way, because I experimented with catfishing seeing as how every feminized username with pink text would get the nerds all riled up. Female chat bots were a viable marketing ploy to get naïve users to join their sites, which we laugh at nowadays. It was too easy.

The experience as a catfish gave me a unique, hypersensitive ability to read behind text. I learned the mind of a creep. It was fairly evident that femininity was not an easy pattern of behavior to consistently replicate, so I understood the shortcomings of these men pretending to be girls. They compensated through excess charm and an outward plea that they are so wonderfully feminine with emoticons and cliché references. This act cannot go on forever, and that's one busted catfish.

The ugly females pretending to be models are harder to pinpoint because they are in fact females. Just not THOSE females. I say, if she's a good student and plays on the varsity team, why are you chatting with me for 5 hours on a Friday night? Seems strange, these are the habits of Jabba the Hut! Certainly I looked the part at the time.

Pictures and names are just smoke and mirrors. You have to read and understand the text and not be distracted by the shiny things. If you master that, Catfishing isn't an issue.

Of course, Video Chat anyways.

• Yes I am paranoid. It tried to eat my family.

4.bp.blogspot.com/.../...o+italy+IGFA+lb+pound.png

• was that a movie? because just for internet slang in general, no they do not make me paranoid hahaa :D

• per your update, i would never judge! :)

• It was a documentary first, then the same people made it a TV show on MTV years later. The term was popularized by the documentary, it's a great one actually.

• @CommieDearest ahh, it sounded a little familiar. that makes sense.

• basically i don't care who's a catfsh or not :-P

• not really. i was kind of catfished once and we had a date... well of course it didn´t work out, because she looked way different (not in a pleasing way) but we still had a nice day ^^

• at least you found the silver lining

• yeah i mean i won´t date an online acquaintance, if i´m not sure she´s fine character wise ^^ so worst that can happen is that i find a new friend :)

• Yeah tinder scares me now. I get skeptical when hot girls actually talk to me XD

• I'm not real

• *reads update* well now i'm judging you

• It's pretty obvious who is fake to be honest.

• Of course it did.

• I never watched the show. I'm skeptical and genuine with everyone either way. I wouldn't catch feelings for someone I've never met, but wouldn't have a problem meeting someone I thought was interesting over the internet.

• It's just you.

What Girls Said 12

• nope, not at all. I'm here mostly for the points, amazon giftcards, and as a way to kill time after class or before bed. I do have some people I talk to regularly on here but they're more online friends. I wouldn't be too devastated if they did end up catfishing me because it doesn't really concern me who it is behind the screen, so long as the conversation is good.

(I don't give any personal info like Instagram, FB, etc. so that none of the info here can be linked to me in real life through friends and whatnot. I'm super careful not too disclose too much info/pictures that someone could have taken off my personal FB as well so... paranoia is at a minimum. :) )

• Hell yes Lol
    I will NEVER date online and if I do then they have to get on webcam and draw something specific I say or something so that I know they're not playing some twisted little game

• hahah nahhh whatever i mean you definitely have to be careful because theyre are some crazy people outnthere. I've never been the paranoid type though... careful maybe but mot paranoid. you should watch undercover boss its hilarious... it kinda reminds me of work because i work at a resteraunt and i actually see that stuff everyday. i mean you can never be too careful but i dont believe someone is out to get me

• Nah, I've met so many people from the internet in person without like video chatting etc. with them prior. Doesn't bother me. I can be a pretty trusting individual.

• I can too, maybe thats why Im worried. Im not gonna meet anyone though. I did when I was younger wehn there were only chat rooms. Kinda dangerous now that I reflect

• I'm always paranoid of people on the net.

• basically if they can't video chat but they can take pics with their iphone 5, they're full of shit and a catfish

• Nope not really

• I liked Catfish a lot when it first aired now its beginning to turn into a counseling session. I watch it from time to time but not like I use to. Just my opinion.

• makes me paranoid sometimes. :)

• Is it? Good thing I'm not watching it then. And I'm already paranoid so why make it worse by watching it lol
      my mom was watching it the other day, got me thinking lately

• Eating food past best-before-date makes me paranoid.

• Nah, I don't really care.

• No, it didn't. I would never fall in love online, and certainly not with a guy who wouldn't meet me in real life.

• Who or what is catfish?

• they live in rivers, jk
      a person pretending to be someone else on the internet