Do you think this site setup enforces gender roles/stereotypes? If so, do any of them offend you and would you like to see them changed?

Girls have pink for everything and boys have blue. Girls are "social butterflies" while boys are "social beasts" (because girls like butterflies or should liken themselves to beautiful fragile creatures while boys like beasts or should liken themselves to strong aggressive thing, right?) There are other things like this under Choose Your personality Type. I understand that girls and boys have grown up very differently a lot of the time due to the gender roles that our society already enforces as we are growing up but to what extent are the two genders different exactly to where it is okay to draw a defining line between them and say that they should have very different takes on everything? And what about the exceptions, which of course there will always be? Is it really okay for this site to completely ignore this people and keep such strict boundaries for girls and boys? Are you sure that girls and boys don't already know way more about each other than you'd think and we are just needlessly overfeeding the illusion of us being so completely different? Are the behaviors and mannerisms of the opposite gender actually so lost on us?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I agree.

I think it'd be more enlightening to have people ask and answer questions as people unless it specifically is something you need a woman or man to answer. so people are not biased with how " different" we all are before they even ask the question.

Also " girls" is not at all the grammatical equivalent to " guys". Girls is what you call children. And a lot if guys here already define the difference between women and men as that of children and adult. A lot.

Even the name girls ask guys... As if girls ask questions and guys have answers. Girls are ignorant and guys are knowledgable and girls are obsessive and guys just help calm them down.

And the personality options are pretty sexist as well as the behavior categories. Thre should be a "behavior section" in itself.

I could say more but I have to go... Maybe later. Thanks for asking:)

• Thank you very much for commenting I agree with every point you've mad and you've put in to words some things that I was trying to make sense of earlier!

What Guys Said 12

• All good points, I agree that people should be able to define themselves as they wish.. They could use default categories, but those should be updated to reflect gender equality, I agree. I haven't heard anyone describe THEMSELVES as a 'social butterfly' since my mother did when I was a little kid.

And ;social beast?' I have never heard anyone say that about themselves! And I haven't ever heard of that term before!

• Me either! Thank you for your comment. I agree.

• YES! i don't want everything in blue! my fav color is pink! well no... it's purple. but that's close to pink.. anyways there are a lot of things on this site that annoy me. shall i write them down?

-you can't edit posts (Questions and opinions)
    -'this opinion is too short' bull.
    -can't delete insulting opinions on your questions.
    -can't delete your opinions.

• I completely agree with everything you said thank you for commenting

• How can anyone tell if you're going out of your way to insult someone with your opinion? What if your opinion just so happens to offend or insult someone? Should it be silenced then?

• IDC IDC IDC IDC IDC IDC IDC LEAVE ME ALONE GO AWAY

• Maybe if everyone wasn't so sensitive after 9/11 we wouldn't care about this shit.

Truth be told, there are still gender roles that will likely never go away because THESE ROLES WORK TOO OFTEN.

This site is so that you know what the opposite gender is thinking. Because again, TRUTH BE TOLD, girls and guys THINK DIFFERENTLY.

• You're upset that there are stereotypical gender identifiers on a website that is purposefully devoted to the division of gender?

No offense... but that seems a bit silly.

• No, I don't think that this site enforces gender roles or stereotypes; no one ever said that girls had to be social butterflies or that guys have to be social "beasts". People enforce gender roles and stereotypes, not websites. If you're offended because girls names are pink and guys names are blue, then I feel sorry for you, most of us are here to have fun. Most of us don't specifically target one sex or the other and everyone can reply to everything. As far as exceptions go, I'd figured that it was assumed that, by girl or guy, it was referring to your biological sex, not gender identity. Aside from colors and showing girls and guys together, there are no "strict boundaries between the sexes", or actually any at all. If someone identifies as gender fluid, genderqueer or anything else, there's nothing stopping them from doing so. Sex is a biological thing, that's the only distinction that this site makes.

• 1 Do you know what a gender roles are?
      2 No one ever said "girls have to be social butterflies... etc" but the site does only provide the option for a girl to be a "butterfly" if she wants to choose "social" and for a boy to be a "beast" if he does.
      3 enforce means "to compel observance of or compliance with (a law, rule, or obligation)." so yes a site can enforce a rule or a gender role
      4 I don't understand why you feel sorry for me because I am offended by this, can you elaborate?
      5 Who would you be referring to when you stated that most of "you" were here to have fun? You must know and have spoken with majority of the people on this website then, yes? And read all of their questions to know that they all don't target one sex in them specifically?
      6 So apparently you assumed that by saying "exceptions" I was referring only to people that do not identify with one gender or the other? Yes, they are among the exceptions but I was also referring to people who do indeed recognize sex as

• If you were to campaign for change I wouldn't stand in your way at all, I was merely stating my opinion.

• I DONT CARE LEAVE ME ALONE

• the site certainly does embrace traditional gender roles. It also doesn't make any effort to embrace any sexualities apart from heterosexual. Both of these should be given some attention, because from what I can tell, it's being ignored.

• No the point is so that you can ask people for gender-specific viewpoints. So that you can understand what people of the opposite gender think, if that's what you need.

• But can you be sure that the viewpoints you're referring to are so gender-specific? And do you actually think people use this site thinking to only ask those rare questions that are extremely gender-specific with no room for challenge that they are not only specific to one gender/that one gender only can answer them? Are you sure this site is meant for that and has made it clear (and encourages people) that that's exactly what is should be used for?

• I don't think you understand the purpose of this site and if you don't already get it from what I and others have written then you're not going to get it.

• You know the "purpose"? Did the site creator specifically pull you aside and tell you there was one purpose and one purpose only and that was it? I'd love to know.. then I might "get it" ;)

• It's not strict boundaries
    it's just pink for girls and blue for boys lol its not pigeon holing and the such.
    The site is called GirlsAskGuys. .. so it displays from the get go, the black and white of it.

Relax

• Pink for girls and blue for boys isn't something that just dropped out of the sky. It's been used to enforce gender roles for a long while and there are meanings put behind the colors specifically for that reason. And is "the black and white of it" necessarily something that should't be challenged simply because it was addressed as being so in the beginning?

• people aren't going around saying black text is for this human because they are associated with this while white text is for this human because they are associated with this. Again, we do not live in this past as of today those colors being assigned to different genders has a new meaning. And the color red should be assigned to boys because of passion? As in, boys were considered passionate, as opposed to girls, and were given a color to represent this? Well there you go color as a representation of something enforcing a role of something in the minds of all who see it. That's kind of what symbols are for. these colors have become symbols.. that's all I'm really saying about the whole color thing. Different colors are often associated with different things and for a lot of people they choose their favorite or pick one based off of that and they should be allowed a choice of what they want to be represented by. You're focusing too much on the colors and you are actually the one ignoring

• and skipping over the more important parts of my argument which really contain the entire point. you're over-analyzing one aspects. The color thing is one bit of a big picture. And really u think I'm skipping govern stuff? Because i carefully made sure to read through and address every point you mentioned. As i said it really seems like you're here solely for argument and I'm not exactly up to it. goodbye.

• You're thinking too much in to it.

• I don't believe I am. I think that you are not thinking enough about it actually.

• @leaonardchurch @opinionowner IDC I"M SO TIRED OF ALL OF YOU ON THIS SITE HONESTLY JUST SHUT UP YOU ARE SO FREAKING IGNORANT IM 16 AND I RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE MORE THAN YOU SOUNDS LIKE A SAD SAD WORLD IM HEADING ITNO BUT LUCKILY I won't GET DISCOURAGED AND KEEP WORKING TOWARDS A BETTER ONE HOPEFULLY WHERE you'll ALL BE LEFT BEHIDN OUT OF AND DONT MAKE ANY STUPID FREAKING SLY REMARKS ABOUT HOW IM BUTTHURT BECAUSE I AM OKAY HAHAHAHAAH FINE IM FREAKING ANGRY WOW DONE WITH YOUR WHOLE STUPID JOKE? I DONT CARE LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

• :/ Why are you so angry? It makes me kinda sad that you freak out over a calm conversation... Do you need someone to talk to? Because I think there is more to it than this conversation.

• GOD DAMMIT THIS SITE MAKES ME POOP MYSELF IN RAGE

• AND AS YOU MAKE ME!!! GO AWAY DONT COME BACK OR COMMENT LEAVE ME ALONE

• are you a troll? first with the races questions and now yet another sort of controversial issue with the design of the website? come on, you must be joking it must be terrible being inside of your head. also, you keep arguing with anyone who disagrees with you is very obnoxious tbh.
    in regards to all of your questions>
    1- no, i don't love black girls they are just people. and i dont even feel attracted to them in the slightest.
    2-there is not a big deal about interracial people, guy pregs on black.. hispanic... or chinese women and bam a mix baby so what? you can feel proud all you want though, but no one cares
    3-this site is not stereotypical in the slightest, at least not in the design as you imply it is ridiculous to even read that much between lines. the logo is just design to make it obvious and match the sites name thats it, you crazy paranoid little person

• I probably disagree with your entire existence lol. And I don't have to reply to this, yes? As I'm sure you've already stalked my page and know exactly what I would say to all of your bullshit. You just want a fight you dope... too bad you're not that important, get lost.

• yeah im not that important thats why you took the time to reply my comments right?
      "As I'm sure you've already stalked my page and know exactly what I would say to all of your bullshit." immaturity and paranoia confirmed, good to know ;)

• ;) you bet. now disappear. go on now.

• The only ones who enforce gender stereotypes are fucking women because they fit their stereotype perfectly. Men adapt and get manipulated... women stay the fucking same.

• And all you can do is talk crap on the internet so... women don't care ;)

What Girls Said 7

• Perhaps it does, but I don't see what's wrong with females generally being associated with the colour pink and males with the colour blue. It's not like anyone's telling you pink has to be your favourite colour... it's just used as a symbol. I don't see what in that would be offensive.

Yes, males and females are biologically different. You can't deny that one has a dick, the other a vagina. Males have a different sex hormone, resulting in them being generally stronger, females will be more expressive with their emotions. In terms of gender lines, it's natural for humans to label themselves and each other. They need something to relate to other individuals through. Genders being different is not an illusion. I could never relate to a male in the same way as I do to a female.

• Are you saying that the biological difference of genitalia and a bit of extra natural strength determines what kind of person you are? Girls are not significantly naturally more expressive with their emotions but instead this was determined to be a faulty conclusion reached on the part of scientists looking into biological differences between males and females. Society enforcing the thinking that girls are more emotional has had a significant effect on what girls and boys today feel is an okay manner in which to express their emotions throughout their lives. Most differences have been at the fault of how girls and boys are raised and taught in a gender role enforcing society.

• I don't know what "a pot calling the kettle black" means sorry. But I think you have my beliefs confused. Yes of course I believe there should be a gender option for everyone who is iffy about the actually gender they are. But i am not trying to make anyone feel like having their natural biological gender is wrong? In fact, I identify as my natural biological gender and believe that gender is solely a biological thing. Bu that is exactly the reason I have a problem with gender roles. Because I have a vagina I am a girl, yes 100% I completely believe it so... but because I have a girl I'm associated with pink which is associated with fragile, feminine, and "cutesy-ness"? because I am a girl I must liken myself to a butterfly vs a beast? I don't have a problem with it only and because it leaves out other genders.. I manly have a problem with it because it tells me my gender has a role to play... and I would not much like to play such a role at all.

• oh ok lol I get your point now. I received it more as a complaint than you seem to have meant it. I totally agree, am on the same page as you though. Sure, I'm okay with pink but it's in no way my favourite colour. &It irritates me to no end when I see many girls in real life, knowing they can get away with it, play the damsel in distress. Like of course they are fully capable of surviving a walk to their car in the cold weather, yet will act like a little bit of rain is a blizzard, leaving the poor guy freezing. Or my friends will get away with treating their boyfriend like shit, having him practically convinced it's 100% 'okay' because she's PMSing... -_-

• I don't think the people on this site do, this site is called girlsaskguys so I mean the way it's set up only makes sense.
    No idea why people would be offended by a colour, it's really not a big deal unless you want it to be.

• I think you shouldn't be offended by things that do no matter. You are only causing yourself problems and stress by being offended by something that doesn't matter.
      I mean yeah it's stereotypical, but by why are you giving yourself the heartache by caring about it?
      So explain to me, because I'm not going to understand if you don't, why are you finding this offensive? Is it just because if doesn't represent you as a girl? Being a girl doesn't define you, so a color symbol of girls shouldn't represent you. It's just stereotypical I really don't think it goes beyond that. This site is not trying to tell you who you are.

• Sorry I get it but I can't just not care about stuff that pisses me off I just can't function that way

• yeaaah absolutely it does. This website is like 100% compulsory heterosexuality. But I mean u kinda need to expect that from a website called Girls ask Guys, lmao. I don't begrudge it too much though. It's inherently bad but I expected that coming into it. And the admins are nice and I get to make a lot of dumb jokes. I go to other websites for my gender politics :P

but yeah, I agree with you, and you have said a lot of very astute things <3

• I completely agree with everything you've said thank you for commenting

• what the heck?

why so serious~

• By "what the heck" are you implying that you don't know what I said? It's all up there if you'd like to reread. Why am I serious? Well first I'd like to ask you why it's a problem for me to be?

• My point is.. just relax
      That's all

• Sorry I understand what you're saying but this is important to me so I can't relax.

• I don't see a problem with it, I honestly am fine with gender roles

• If you don't mind me asking, if the site offends you why use it?

• no I don't think that's true and I wouldn't be offended by those things

• Yes it does. I identify as genderqueer so go by my biological gender. I find it annoying and wish there was a 3rd option. Its also good cause people can get input from the other gender but it does enforce stereotypes to an extent.

• Yeah, I believe more sites like this one should include the non-binary gender identities (genderqueer, genderfluid, agender, probably missing a few) as well. It's only fair to do so, but sadly for a site that features a very discriminatory anti-gay "mytake" I really don't think it's gonna happen here anytime soon.

• yeah, its sad. I feel so uncomfortable filling out paperwork and checking off the female box. Its annoying and they need to change it. I get asked all the time why I don't shave my legs and act the way I do, I'm through it.