Should there be an "other" gender option on this site?

I'm genderqueer but go as female since thats what I am biologically. Its really uncomfortable though. What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Guy

• No thats dumb.

• how?

• As a trigender back hand spring back twist living in this cis gender world of heteronormativity you saying that we do not need to redefine the binary to a more open place is opressing my microwave.

• see what I mean -.-

What Guys Said 26

• Lean against because I think it would be misused.

The basic premise of the site is that males and females may have different perspectives on things. the traditional focus areas (less obvious now since the new topics aren't as clear as the old ones) were always dating, relationships and sex.

I do think it would sometimes be interesting to breakout the views of those who are not cis-hetero-whatever.

But I suspect if we had an 'other' category it would primarily be used by trolls or by people taking some staunch view that their sex-gender shouldn't color how we interpret their answer. Yet the whole point of the site is to categorize answers by sex/gender.

Maybe we could add a flag that would show up beside your age etc when posing indicating non-cis-hetero an then they could describe on their profile?

• With all these variations out there , maybe the only way to do it is with XX XY lol
    www.testmygenes.info/.../..._XX-XY-01-1024x486.jpg

• This site is based on your sex, not your gender. The only sexes are male and female. I think it's just fine the way it's set up.

• Even if it's good for some users and I have no problems with it but no we literally can't because it basically it'd affect the motto of the site.
    "'GirlsAskGuys. com' is a site, whose
    purpose is to close the gap between genders by bringing them together to help each other."

• Eh, I think going with biological sex is what makes the most sense, so I see no purpose behind it.

• Surely you of all people should see how this would be useful. I for one see no purpose in using biological sex to define people in the first place. Why is what chromosomes you have more important than what color eyes, or what race you are, in the end? Allowing a gender neutral option would be a step towards recognizing the fact that biological sex is not all-important and can't be used to define a person. Things like male/female themed websites like this reinforce the idea that biological sex is a major trait defining who a person is. Adding a "other" option would at least recognize those people who refuse to categorize themselves via such honestly arbitrary traits. That can go a long way toward promoting that whole "gender neutrality" thing.

• @cipher42 I don't see why using sex as a means of identification implies that it will result in "strict stereotyping", or at least anything stricter than 'gender'. In fact, that's what gender already is!

I think our problem here is that our definitions don't match. There are about 3 different aspects of gender. And you're talking about gender identity, while I'm talking about social gender. And you claim gender identity is harmless (which I partly disagree with as it is influenced by sexist stereotypes, that's what femininity and masculinity are a result of as descriptive terms), and I claim social gender is nothing BUT sexism in its purest form.

• No, it's not. Gender is identity, sex is biology. Using only sex discounts the existence of transgender people or people who don't fit the stereotypes of their sex. Gender is identity, so it's possible for transgender people to exist or for people to just not conform to any of the set roles.

Yeah. We're talking gender identity, sex, and gender roles. While I do agree that current perceptions of gender identity are very entiwined with gender roles in society, I don't think it has to be that way, so I don't think gender in and of itself is a bad way to identify oneself. In fact, were society able to get to a place where gender is detached from sex, that would be great, because I don't think you would have nearly as many people saying "I am (this sex), therefore I am x, y, and z as well because that's what (this sex) is."

• Then it wouldn't be guys ask girls anymore it would be.

guys ask girls ask ( insert whatever you are ) ]

Besides the site is referring to your Sex as in what you are born as and no amount of surgery will change the fact that you are either Male or Female. It's fine the way it is set up and I seriously doubt it will change.

• I have three friends born as both. What about them?

• You can't be born with both genders even if a boy was born without a penis he'd still be a boy. The closet thing you would have to being both both genders is a brother and sister conjoined at birth.

• Even if a person was born without any male or female parts their biology, genetics all that would still learn either towards male or female.

• It wouldn't bother me at all, personally. Perhaps they could add a "decline to state" or something just to keep the non-binary people organized (I know that they don't BELONG grouped together, but it's unlikely that there'd be like nine gender options).

• I'd personally be okay with an "other" option. I wouldn't let your biological sex pigeonhole you either way; in some cases it could be legally necessary to acknowledge it throughout your life. But you should never let that affect your "identity", that's all you.

• thanks, I agree with that but it feels awkward checking off the "female" box on legal forms.

• You're welcome, I hope that I could help! :)

• you did, thanks so much!

• oh hell no. girls and guys here. you were born a girl, so you're female. we don't need 20 bs made up terms...

• i guess it would be good, since i'm confused when i see transgender people, selecting males or females... so i cannot define what they are.

• I totally get how you feel, I identify as hot bread but I have yet to find a site that could let me be myself :/

I'm just kidding. I'm sure there are other websites that provide an option to not state your gender, but this particular website IS called "GirlsAskGuys", so it would be contradictive to have "Other" as an option.

• "Genderqueer?" Where does that fit into the whole LGBTQWERTYUIOP thing? It's like there's a new one every year.

• I don't know, I definitely identify as male and I am comfortable being male. however if I could trade places with a girl, weather I know her in real life or just on here for a day or week or so a gladly would do so.

so not really sure where that puts me

• Off course we should all be open to it if not, at least have the courtesy to keep our opinions to ourselves.

:D

• I support this, but a relationship site so entrenched in gender roles probably isn't going to implement it.

• No, I think that they should keep genders as a biological thing here.

• how would biology be relevant?

• I think it is offensive when another person, born with a vagina, says "I don't dress or act like a woman." I'm sorry, are you telling me that I have to dress or act a certain way because I was born with a vagina? I have the right to dress and act as I like and still be a WOMAN! All "woman" means is your biological makeup, and I am not going to deny my body, my temple, because I have issues with projected gender roles/expectations/stereotypes. "Genderqueer" sounds like disassociating with your natural sex because you don't want to be held to the roles/expectations/stereotypes of that sex, which sounds like "gender-cowardice". Women shouldn't be denouncing their sex, but fighting for the betterment of their sex. Maybe you have a vagina, you shop in men's clothing stores, you make love to people of both sexes, you have more guy than girl friends, you are not afraid of the dark, and you cry during Bambi - whatever unique manifestation you are, born with a vagina = WOMAN! Be proud.

• @jesi723 - you're absolutely right. Plenty of people who identify as men and women act in ways that don't fit their traditional stereotypes, that's why all these extra labels are retarded. It's the same with sexuality. Some women asked how many people are sapiosexual the other day, a sapiosexual being someone who finds intelligence attractive - who doesn't find intelligence attractive? What's the point in all these extra confusing labels?

• What does "genderqueer" mean?

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer

Thats a pretty good description

• Well I just knew I was an "oddball". I was reading stuff on LGBTQ and that and I read about the concept of being "genderqueer" then just thought "Oh my god thats me!". Did more research and found I identified with it.

• Hmmm. Kewl. I've learned something.

• There are two genders. Male and female.

• no there's not

• Claiming to be "genderqueer" contributes to the chaos. Why acknowledge gender associations at all? Why be gender-anything? You are born XX or XY, but who you become is unique. Why let others label you for it or in retaliation label yourself? Why do I need to know that you feel both masculine and feminine? To some degree, don't we all? It is fantasy to think those who don't claim to be "genderqueer" are actually different than those who do. Duality is everything. Masculine and Feminine & Male and Female are 2 different things, and both are perfect in their harmonious balance.

• Lets just stick to biological genders. Not these make-believe societal gender-constructs that people use to define their personality.

• Why don't you make a male account too so you can post under whichever one you feel matches up with the question you want to answer?

• Wow being a genderqueer must be confusing. XD
    Well I guess it'd be a good thing for those who are transgender and genderqueer, but what color would it be though? :/

• it is but I'm happy with who I am. I don't know. lol

• I don't like the idea. You're either female or male that's it. There is no in between.

• That would be awesome!!! I could FINALLY label myself as a unicorn.

• Except "unicorn" isn't a gender, nice try moron.

• @MishaMikado ever hear of "otherkin"?

• Sorry @FlyingTurtle, but those people are strange. We cannot have the brain or body of an animal/object other than human, for instance a mother has given birth to her human boy and human girl, however a human mother has never given birth to a tomato or a unicorn.

That's pretty much the distinct difference between what is acceptable and isn't - it is literally impossible to have a pig's DNA, body, brain makeup, etc... basically, species isn't a gender, and 14-year-old girls on tumblr who say they're a fox are just pretending for "fun". And they piss me off because they make people think the REAL gender identities such as genderqueer/genderfluid/agender are fake or a joke.

• It wouldn't follow anyone whose not male/ female gender

• No, you're either male or female. You can't choose your gender based on your feelings, you are what you are. It's like me saying I'm black when I'm white, and saying that I don't believe I should be defined as the colour I was born with, I should get to choose. Makes no sense.

• Hmm. Noticed you're staying anonymous with bigoted view. Interesting.

• @sheomadgod - it isn't that interesting really

• What "other"? Human species has no third gender... we are not like some Aliens is Star Trek :-P

• What about people actually born as both? Also, many cultures recognize the third gender. Nice try.

• These people are hermaphrodites/androgynes, but that's not a separate gender, they just have both genders as a result of some genetic mistake. Name that so called "third gender"? It's just some mumbo jumbo term in several tribal cultures.

What Girls Said 20

• I think it would be great. Really, one of my major issues with this site is how gender-essentialist it is. As you said, creating an "other" option would serve to make people feel more comfortable and more included, which is certainly a good idea. Plus, the very principle behind such a move is a step forward for the LGBTQ rights movement in general, because public recognition of non-binary identities is highly important. But I don't really think it's a realistic goal on this site. The entire premise of this site is centered around guys vs. girls and the gender binary, so having an "other" gender would go against the very principle behind that.

• i dont mind it, but thing is tho, that would affect the entire site...
    the name of the site itself is GirlsaskGuys...

• I understand why it makes you uncomfortable. However, this entire site is built on gender stereotypes basically, what with the pink and blue and the site name etc. If they added an "other" option, they would have to make various different changes in the layout too. As you can see, the opinions under people's questions are divided into two different sections: guys' answers and girls' answers. They would have to add another section for the "other" answerers, as well as give them their own color etc.
    So while I do think that it would be great in a hypothetical sense to add an "other" gender option, I still understand why the site admins/webdesigners/coders might not want to do it because of technical reasons.

• No there shouldn't.

The whole point of this website is to get the opposing views of male and female on an issue - it's a known fact that the two think differently.

At the risk of sounding slightly offensive, regardless if you are confused you are male or female, that doesn't change your opinion on a problem. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and really, the fact you and others are confused, that's a separate issue and it's not really to do with most of the questions asked here.

Keep it simple. I mean, if we get too complex we will end up with ridiculous options like "thinks is a badger" to accommodate everyone. You said yourself you are a girl biologically, you signed up to this site as a girl, so you are female much as you don't want to be.

• like politically yes I think there should be. However I think on this website specificially the harassment would be unreal and I'm kinda glad no queers are signing up and going through that, you know what I mean :/ Like it's different to like Facebook or tumblr or even like OKCupid to a certain extent. You can control who you interact with on those websites, at least to a certain degree. But here you're entering into a community that is already, you know, I mean lets be real, blatantly fucked up.

But I'm just saying that cuz I'd be worried. I agree with you all the same <3

• You are a girl yes? Then just go with that. I honestly don't think It need a a whole plethora of sub sections for the gender confused. The GaG community already have a hard enough time warring about two genders, there's no need to add a load more.

Does it really matter that much what colour your anon name is?

• excuse me

• consider your self Blocked and Unfollowed mother fucker...

• @LauraMarx I knew it was only a matter of time!

Oh well, no big loss eh? At least now I might stop getting accused of being you!

• I think the whole genderqueer thing is pointless.. I don't get it..

• its not pointless. Its just another form of identity. Of course you don't get it cause you don't identify with it.

• No. That will override and confuse the basic the concept of this site. @girlsaskguys can always add a choice selection list for sexual orientation under gender? :P.

The majority of us are still f and m, your kind is still a very minority.

• If this change helps you to express yourself better, yeah why not. I am all for human rights.

• No because I don't agree with gender. It's a social construct and should be abolished.

Sex > gender

• Like someone said, people would troll the heck out of that option. I think putting it in your profile should be enough.

• I guess it would benefit the transgender people and it might help them while they are in transition so that they can come out smoothly.

• Yeah, You should have done a poll though so it could be seen more clearly.

• Guarantee that all males would vote no tbh. So no point.

• @MishaMikado Why would you assume that? and it would make sense either way because the point of a poll is to see what everyone says as a whole, it's not to get people to agree with you.

• Sure I'd be all for it.

• Nah, it's too much.

• Yes!!! I hate that. I am also genderqueer

• Maybe a trans option, but they definitely don't need to bow to all the newly created tumblr "genders". It's like pokemon, there are new ones every day and it's like people are trying there damnedest to label themselves a "better" option.

"I'm a robot-trans-bi-convert-ero-pop-disney-alpha-gravyboat you ignorant privileged CIS scum!"

HOW ABOUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!

• No I don't.

• I've been wondering when this question would come up.
    Most of the answers so far are surprisingly offensive and ignorant.
    I see no reason not to support this, though given the nature of the site I'm not sure how easy it would be to integrate more gender options.

• Exactly.. offensive and ignorant mostly from the males. No surprise to me. They express their idiocy on the topic and sadly there are a few sheep who follow their ignorance.

I honestly cannot believe how hateful some people can be. At least the girls on here are a LOT more rational, further proving my assumption that we as females are better as human beings on average.

• yes i think that would be great.