Have you ever met a Native American? Or are you a Native American?

I am curious to see if anyone knows/is a native american!
i don't think i have ever met someone with any native American ancestry

So GAG do you native Americans or are a Native American yourself?

Do you mind being called Native American?
so many questions! lol

Most Helpful Girl

• I am only a small part of Native American. My Fiance is more Native American than me. His mom is black and his dad is Lumbee. Whereas my great great grandma was Seminole. There are a lot of Lumbee here in North Carolina, I have met a few more Lumbee and a lot of them have Lumbee meetings or pow wows. My Fiance's dad has only gone to a few pow wows

• that sounds amazing!
      do you know what they do at pow wows?
      it would be awesome if they all danced! can non native americans enter a pow wow?

• lol I have no idea what they do in the meetings. Last year I went to the Native American Museum at the Smithsonian in Washington DC and I saw a video there and in the video the native American people dressed like regualr people but they said they want to pass their culture down to their children and that particualar native American community would gather together so they can share native American songs and storeis with their children. In the video the older people were talking about how the young people do not know how to appreciate their culture sinse they are so influenced by pop culture america. They said that the young people couldnt even speak their language so the older people try to teach the language in the gatherings.

• oh well its good that they are trying to keep their culture alive!
      i love dancing so i though it would be cool to learn some traditional native American dances!
      Thanks for answering my questions!

What Girls Said 17

• Yes I know two, well I know more because it's a family and they all party together. But the ones I see most are twin brothers (REALLY HOT) and they are freaking awesome people.

My friend (the one I met first) is really nice, fun, and a total animal when it comes to partying.

• I have an eighth of Native American in me. My grandmother was half and my mother is a Quarter. Cree Tribe.

• Some of my survival trainers were Native American. All my survival teachers have been native people, around the world continents: Native American, Asian, African, Aboriginal...

• Wow that sounds amazing!
      i often associate native americans as being very in touch with nature,
      i would love to take a survival course!

• You'll learn how to cut your dependence from technology, and how to value life.

• I have a 1/8 my mom's a quarter , I have friends who are native American. . I can't stand when people say Indians. . and correct them it's native American.. ps they still are mistreated, people still use racial slurs against them I realize I'm the white girl to them, but it is part of my history and I find it highly offensive...

• I've met a couple.

• Not a 100 percent native but i ve met a few Americans who are the fourth generation living there have a tint of n. a. They tend to have a larger built and frame.

• Yes, I have. A couple of them. I am Native American but a tiny percentage.

• Well my ex is Native American, my paternal great parents are too. I'm quite sure on my mothers side I have Native American I don't really know them well.

• Yeah there are a lot of people who have some sort of native American ancestry, if they live in the USA

my friend says he is part cherokee to everyone but, told me he lied about it lol
      thats why i asked this question

if you ever get the chance you should ask your relatives about your ancestry =)

• Everyone is part Cherokee lol. I know more about my dad's side though, I have seen pics and they tell stories. I remember my great grandmother she died when I was 9 but I can remember her accent was thick is she spoke some derivative of a language. I wish my dad and aunts would have learned it.

• Lol thats what he said! "idk if i am Cherokee, probably am though " lol
      yeah someone else mentioned how They are still trying to keep their culture alive through teaching the old languages

i am sorry to hear about you Gma...
      thanks for answering my questions!

• I have a small percentage of Native American heritage. My paternal grandmother's mother was 100% Cherokee.

• Wow! are you close with her?

• Well, her mother died when I was little, but no, I am not close with that grandmother at all. She lives all the way across the country. In Nevada and I am in Ohio. I choose not to keep in contact with her due to some things that she put our family through. Not a very nice woman.

• oh well who needs her then! =P
      sometimes its better to not speak to family with negative energy!

Thanks for answering!

• Yes, i knew this Navajo girl who was extremely gorgeous! Loved her high cheek bones!

• A lot of people have mentioned the Native Americans they knew were good looking lol!
      too bad i haven't met any...

• I am part cherokee and Blackfoot native American. Have native American ancestry on both sides.

• Wow thats awesome!
      i just felt like i would never meet a native American and if i did i couldn't remember
      Actually i do have a native American friend! his name is Javier, but he is mexican, I don't know if he knows what nation/lineage his ancestors belonged to

• Thanks :) cool! & to answer the other part of your question yes I prefer to be referred to as native American. Indian can be offensive.

• oh geez i forgot anyone called native American people that!
      thanks for answering!

• My great grandpa is a full blood. I have Cherokee in me from him and on my mothers side so I am a good amount of Indian. My name is Indian. (Ashley is not my name) I like being Indian. I am proud of it.

• i have friends who are native yeah. But this was a strange question?

• lol i know!
      my friend said he was part cherokee and i called him on it, and then he was like "Probably am part cherokee, for all i know"

so i was wondering how many people know real native americans and how many people are native American

• Nah thats counting the indigenous people of all of the Americas

• oh ok that sounds more like it!
      there are a lot of indigenous people in south/central america

• Yes I had a friend who was

• Cool!
      i think they are probably just like any other American person, i probably have met few Native Americans and didn't even know it
      was it obvious that he/she was native american?

• I mean she was gorgeously tanned and stuff but I don't know lol

• haha
      thats cool =) i dont think there is an easy way of telling

• I'm of the Oneida nation

• Supposedly a descendant of Geronimo but I don't know I knew lots of Indians growing up like ones who actually get checks from the government & have proof of lineage

• I'm 1/32 Native American (creek). I live in oklahoma and I go to the Native American doctor. There are lots of indians. Sadly I don't know the language.

• it seems as though the language is being lost and i think thats a big blow to a lot of different native American cultures

• We'll no. Take it from someone who lives in oklahoma. I guarantee you it's not dying.

• I am happy to hear that =)

What Guys Said 11

• You know, I get a kick out of asking my students if there are still any Native Americans left. My students are 5th graders. Almost all of them think there are no more Native Americans.

Not only have I met a Native American, I am the brother of one! My sister is Cheyenne!

• Awesome!
      yeah a lot of people talk as if they are extinct
      its sad, because there seems to be quite a few people who have native American ancestry!

• an Indian? yeah!

• Two use to kick my ass in basketball on a semi regular basis

• There are 2 lacrosse players at my college who are prodigies, seems like they are nice at sports

• Yeah the two kids at my college are brothers! supposedly they are ranked pretty high!
      i go to a D1 school so those kids have to be nice

• Siblings/relatives pair in sport can be amazing. I miss being on the same soccer team with my brother and sister.

• Yes, plenty.

I've gone to a reserve in Caledon, Ontario where the six nations tribe are. Bought some cheap gas and cigars, since they aren't taxed.

I met a native that moved to Toronto from Alberta and we hung out for a while.

Yesterday a huge one, that looked like he was strung out walked by met outside my place.

I can go on and on... sadly though they seem to have a substance and alcohol abuse problem; and some have a deep hatred towards white people and will not hesitate to fight you. I'm only speaking upon my experience here, I'm sure their are plenty that good citizens and these are simply outliers.

• there are plenty more in Western Canada

@Illusive_Man has probably seen a lot more.

• I've never met a Native American and I'm not Native American. I may have some Native SOUTH American in me though.

• Well I was born in American so by definition I'm a native American. I know what you mean though. No I'm not that kind of native American. There are lots here where I live. There is even an Indian casino fairly close by.

• My wife is French Canadian her father was the son of 100%Blackfoot ancestry. Unfortunately because of racism in the 40s and 50s All of her family's documents proving their tribal association was destroyed in fear of further social persecution. The end result though is my wife and daughter tan beautifully and don't burn in the sun... lol!

• I've met a Naive American Indian if that counts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmQQQo2-hCY

• I'm a Native American at heart

• I have known a few in my life. Had a Seminole friend in HS.

• thats cool! my highschool was pretty diverse but i didn't know if we had a kid with Native American ancestry

• Of course. In terms of my personal experience with races. They are the most pleasant to be around.