What do you think the reasons are for people not taking this site seriously?

I wrote a take about this yesterday, stating why I think people don't take it seriously and how to possibly make it better. www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a8919-the-little-boy-who-cried-wolf-why-people-can-t-take-this-site

Unfortunately, no one read that take and I was hoping to get people's opinions and see what they thought was the problem. So, I thought I'd write a question instead.

Why do you think people don't take this site seriously? How do you think they can make it better for everyone?

Most Helpful Guy

• I take this site very seriously and try to give great answers every single time. But nobody appreciates that, and one begins to wonder whether the effort is worth it, when it mostly goes unnoticed.

Should I even bother requesting a lime wedge for my beverage on the rocks? Will girls even acknowledge the style and sophistication it adds to my appearance overall?

Sometimes I wonder if lime wedges even matter to anyone anymore. These are sad times.

• fuck your lime wedge!
      we don't like your kind 'round here. grr!

• @thewanderingme But nothing adds more sophistication and style to a beverage on the rocks.

• Without the lime, a cuba libre is just a rum and coke, and that's a sad thing.

What Guys Said 6

• If it was all serious, I'd spend 15 minutes a day here, and actually answer less questions seriously. The light hearted stuff and the feel of community gives it the balance.

Trolling is more annoying. I've started removing q more then i used to where it's just obvious trolling or where it's obviously a baiting question.

I wonder if things would be better if there were limits on how much you could use anonymous.

• It's a free website. Sites I belong to with membership fees and no anonymity don't have that problem. You get what you pay for.

That said, you can use GaG pretty much how you want. If you want to fool around, you can. If you want to ask and answer serious questions, you can. I think simply ignoring what you don't want to deal with on a free website is best.

• I'll admit that these things annoy me. Trolling and such. But it is a free website so people can do whatever they want. Just be thankful that its not as bad as Yahoo Answers.

But what bothers me more than trolling is how much Christians are criticized on this website because about 75% of the people on here are atheists. Mind that some i that manority are respectful, but most are Chrsitian bashing and that annoys me even worse than anything else.

• My attitude depends on the asker's attitude.

• It's the Internet. Like its "serious business" lol

• You have to understand that there is no website where people's issues are actually taken seriously. The places where the forums are dedicated to taking issues seriously are usually support groups (not general aid) or filled with people who feed off of the misery of others and "in return" grant empathetic advice.

The lack of a niche creates the disparity you experience.

What Girls Said 5

• - The site becoming more and more similar to social media
    - "Answers" renamed as "opinions"
    - Opinions no longer able to be removed as nonsense
    - Many long-time users who've "seen it all" and get bored easily

Those are the major issues I think. There are smaller things to blame, some people enjoy trolling, some are just here to pass the time and aren't worried about being too serious or involved, then there's the "it's just the internet mentality" you mentioned...

Lately I've had users tell me that sometimes I'm too serious or my answers are too long / stuffy / whatever. Some people don't think this site has changed much but I'd have to disagree, it feels a lot more casual now, which is fine I guess, but it is a shame when the people who do need help and support aren't taken seriously.

• I have a rule on GaG where I give answers with seriousness that matches the questions.

If someone asks an obviously stupid question I will give an obviously stupid answer, if someone seems to really need advice I'll answer to the best of my ability.

WAY too many people on here feed the trolls.

• Hi - we just posted. We value your opinion and you can see our comment on your take itself. I think a lot of people do take the site seriously and get valuable answers to pressing questions, but there is always room to make it better. Thanks for taking the time to be so involved in the GaG community. Looking forward to more of your questions and takes.

• I find you get out of it what you put in. Basically it's garbage in garbage out.

• I have weirdos messaging me ridiculous questions. I just ignore them. Guess it's just like real life, you choose who you want to talk to/write to, as for the freaks, you just ignore them lol