Girls, guys, how do you feel about being unable to comment anything on this question?

I don't really like this new change which now allows sexist mentality to claim that exclusively only a particular sex is capable of providing useful information on a particular question. Just because one has a particular set of genitals, it doesn't mean they are less qualified to answer, unless it's like "how did you feel when you gave birth" in which case I would still be able to mention how it went for my mother.

Whatever. How do you feel about this new sex-based limitation? @cipher42 ?

• I think this is amazing
    9% (10)
  • I think this is horrible
    46% (49)
  • I am neutral like Switzerland...
    45% (48)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll
I wonder if this is visible.

42

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't like it. People may think that they only want opinions from one gender, but I also think that it limits them to different perspectives. I would never use this option. And honestly was kind of offended when I went to comment on a question earlier, had a legitimate answer and was unable to. Oh, well... their loss, I suppose.

What Girls Said 41

• Girls, guys, how do you feel about being unable to comment anything on this question?
    A. I think this is amazing

Now there will likely far less irrelevant answers on a question.

"now allows sexist mentality to claim that exclusively only a particular sex is capable of providing useful information on a particular question."
    Egh the mindset seems to be more of directing a question exclusively to a particular sex. Sometimes people want a male or female perspective on a matter.

Though the mindset you're talking about Is not necessarily sexist say a question asking gals how they would react to something and the asker wants first-hand accounts nit hearsay. It's not sexist to me if the view is 'gals are more useful on finding out about gals'/'guys are more useful in finding out about guys'. I'd imagine it'd be a bit more sexist for a guy to speak for gals and a gal to speak for guys.

• ""I'd imagine it'd be a bit more sexist for a guy to speak for gals and a gal to speak for guys.""

I don't see how that is sexist. That's actually the least sexist thing I can think of considering the sex of the person is partly irrelevant.

• It can be sexist as it often slippery slopes into ignoring what gals say because 'gals don't know what they want listen to guys tell you want gals want'. It also often results in guys mansplaining and telling a gal how she feels/thinks instead of him listening to her

Why do you think it's is it the least sexist thing to ignore what gals say and have a guy speak for gals?

If it's a gender question seeking a particular gender perspective how is the gender of the person partly irrelevant? Can you answer: how do periods feel to you? I'm not asking how periods feel... but how do they feel to you... and likely you don't get periods unless you're a pre-FTM.

• im fine with it, its not sexist at all. everyones opinions are not always useful. you may just want a certain genders perspective on things.

I hate when I ask a question that is obviously geared toward girls (ie something about makeup) a guy will butt in and give a stupid answer that shows he doesn't know what he's talking about. there are not that many male makeup enthusiasts for me to justify leaving a question like that open for male answers so yea

• 3 times now I've gone to answer a freakin question and have been denied because I just so happen to have boobs!!! Not. Fair.

• I think it's bad. No matter who you are you can give an opinion on a question.

• I wonder how many people will make a second account to overcome this limitation :p

• Yeah, I don't really like that change either. The answers are already separated by gender, it isn't that hard to just ignore the reaponses if an asker doesn't care for a particular gender's input. But honestly, that only limits the possibilities for advice for the asker.

• this is not sexist. it just that some people might need opinions from ONLY men\women. i mean many times i wanted answers from MEN ONLY and when i would finally get a notification i would realize it was a very unhelpful opinion from the POV of a woman.
    i mean sometimes i only need the POV of men

• How is their POV different? They are all just people.

• well even though i was like this, there are still few differences between those two sexes. i believe we are all equal and the same, but at the same time there are few things that make each sex a bit more special.

• I hate it. If you don't want to see the other gender's opinion, don't look at it. But some people might actually want insight on the question from the other gender..

• I don't like it. If anything it is bringing people away/distancing people rather than bringing us all closer together. That feeling of unity is no longer there. This is a community. We should all feel comfortable here and feel like a family.

• I don't think it's the greatest change to the page. If people block out an entire gender, then they most likely have a preconceived notion of the answers they WANT to hear, and will fashion their question to get just that.

• It's there, don't have to use it. I hope the majority of askers dont; it will severely limit their advice options.

• Just because I don't use it that doesn't stop the site from being extremely restrictive

• Oh, yes I agree. Was a rhetorical opening sentence, not directed at you :). I agree with you on this one.

• yeah i just found that about twenty minutes ago. i found that annoying i have gotten good opinions from girls when i expected to get them from guys and vice versa.

• Wow, that's ridiculous. I would much rather have an age range filter than a gender one.

• Wait, we can limit which gender answers our questions now?

• I think we forget that for every guy who's opinion we want, there's a girl who's experienced the exact same behaviour or situation and can provide some great insight about the potential outcomes

People don't always behave in a logical fashion that mimics their feelings, and just cause a guy can sit here and say 'yeah i do that and then i do this' it doesn't mean its always the case, and it doesn't help you understand how it might leave you feeling

• One of the truly dumbest options GAG has come up with to date.

• I'm finding the whole thing really difficult to work on my phone. It has to keep rebooting I guess and if it doesn't register as you picking both guys or girls it erases your whole question when it reboots

• Oh, it's a BRILLIANT feature. Because as we all know, thought patterns required to answer some questions are exclusive to one gender. Well, it's not like a guy is gonna know anything about getting raped EVER, for instance, and oh boy, don't even ask a woman about technical stuff! I mean, it's 1915, right?

• It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, if people don't want me answering their question, then I don't want to answer it anyway. So take that.

• It doesn't matter to me. There are questions that only wo/men can answer for their gender (for instance, I'm positively sure that no man can something that deals with menstruation/menopause pains).

• Who knows, I know a few people who use Cataflam for their period pain.

WHOOPS I KNOW SOMETHING EVEN THOUGH I AM MALE

CALL THE POLICE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• No. Because everything is first-hand (coming from my experience). I'm not saying that someone else is telling me this.

Again, common sense.

But ignore all you want. It doesn't mean that you're right or that it's necessarily a "bad" thing for people want to get only a single gender's view on particular questions.

• Essentially you claim that every second hand information is uninformative and useless. That is a bit harsh of a claim to make.

• I mean, I get why this could be helpful. Some people answer polls that are not relevant to their gender. But, I do not really care. Hahaha :)

• its just not cool at all

• I don't want someone else's two cents sometimes. If i am asking guys I want GUYS to answer. No offense to what a girls experience has taught her from friends, but yea I like the new feature.

• At the end of the day just because one gender is targeted more it doesn't mean the other can't answer at all. If I find something interesting then I will add to it and worst case scenario my answer will be deleted. Oh well. They say shit happens quite a lot these days. But it is helpful to target some questions like this. I guess it will depend a lot on the one that answers.
    I don't like brands very much and some things offend me while others don't

• I think it's horrible, ridiculous, lame... puck an adjective.

• I find it very stupid.

• It's not a big deal to me. I asked an only guy question earlier. If jealous women piss them off? Mostly I pick both to answer.

• I think it's not about gender. Society has many prejudice towards men and women. Rules on how men and women "should" be. Not everyone is going to fit into a box. Either way I'm neutral because there's so many sides to the story being pointed on the subject would be a sort of conformity in itself to me.

• Technically, people tend to claim that the prejudice and rules on how "men and women should be" IS gender.

Of course, this is a whole new phenomenon and it hasn't caught on among others than radical feminists.

• Interesting. My opinion radical feminist seems a little outdated a category with the information we all can access in this day in age. Lol maybe they need a new name

• I think that whole "gender is purely social and it is your identity and how you behave and act" is honestly kinda silly. Those people legitimately claim that it doesn't matter what is between your legs, you ARE a woman IF you "feel that you are a woman" and "you look like a woman, and act like a woman".

I think it would be easier to keep gender dysphoria as something identified as a mental disorder, rather than modify the English language so transgender people don't feel "oppressed and offended", lol.

• I think it's pretty annoying. Because sometimes I have a good opinion on something and I can't even answer because it's guys only. It gets so frustrating.

• I honestly don't care. And what's the point of voting whether or not a question is helpful

• I think this is horrible and when I can't post opinions because I am a girl it makes me sad.

• More from Girls
    11