What is your take on this new gender blocking GAG has come up with for questions?

It's all in the question. Oh yes check the poll.

• Gender blocking questions is a great idea.
  • Gender blocking on questions BAD idea
@GirlsAskGuys are you listening? Members are saying this gender blocking is a bad idea. Please reconsider this update.
I just skimmed through the last 1/2 hr of questions. 17 of 41 questions were gender blocked. @GirlsAskGuys what's your take on this?

Most Helpful Girl

• Just ignore the opinions from the gender you don't want if it's such a big deal!! Shouldn't be a gender block in place though!

What Guys Said 40

• Most times people ask for answers from one gender, the gender they are trying to exclude is all telling them the correct answer and they don't want to hear it.

Maybe they should leave it in but I'd like to remove all questions that only allow one sex to answer from my feed, because it shows the question asker doesn't actually want the real answers anyway.

• If tGAG insists on leaving it in place you have a good idea

• One of the worst changes I've ever seen.

• Terrible fucking idea. Really hope GAG takes notice of the feedback here.

• While I see both sexes occasionally bash the other , I don't think the people here need an option to exclude the opposite sex from chiming in on a subject / question. Most here that prefer a gender specific answer/ reply state it plainly in the question. So I totally feel this option in useless. But I have already experienced it a couple times today. If GAG feel this is the new way to go , they need to set it up so that sex discriminating questions DO NOT APPEAR in the discriminated againsts feed

• Eg. If girls/Ladies want to ask an only girls? Then it should not even show in the guys feed and visa versa

• That's what I'm expecting as well. If someone get offended now it won't remain in the one post , it will spawn many more.. So the soap opra will get worse

• It dumb founds me that GAG doesn't ask the users what they feel are benificial options , they just throw it in the mix. I am well aware that they own the site and can do damn well what they wish , but with out a user population they don't have squat

• this thing will benefit only those people who want only onegender to answer their question basically... and those people belong to the minority as it seems...

oh welll anyway... :-P

• I don't see how it could last.

Blocking genders = less opinions = less ad clicks.

• Bingo! I'm just posting to keep this going.

• I totally agree. And yeah, I was more so referring to other users being pissed. :)

• This is the worst implemented feature ever! I can't be rebellious with the feature!

• I gotta say while I'm not one to normally complain.. I dislike the direction this site is going.

• I think it's horrible, and I'm actually debating if I should just leave.

• I agree with @kheserthorpe, this will just be used for the people who don't want the whole truth.

It's just for the people who want a bunch of "yeah, you're absolutely right" answers.

• If they are blocking genders, they'd better make topics I can't answer not show up in my feed. It's already clogged up enough with featured questions and takes and pictures that I don't want to see.

• Maybe come out with age blocking so as we don't have to put up with the teeny boppers too?
      PLEASE NOTE THIS IS INTENDED TO BE SARCASM ON MY PART.

• yeah... now that I can only answer some questions its just bullshit and boring. I have to filter through this shit. im almost on par with @thewanderingme

• I just see this as a way for genders to take pot shots at the other with out reprisals from each other

• Never thought of it that way. Hope GAG is paying attention.

• I've always seen complaints about how the other gender voting is ruining the percentile but just because they are not smart enough to see that 8 women out of 10 voted for A and figure out the percent by going 8/10 times 100 doesn't mean we should change the whole system this website is more worried on petty complaints like "he said something i don't like" or "he said something raunchy" or "he has a penis and he voted i don't like that" to realize that it's discriminatory and makes the users feel like they can't even be candid without being considered antagonistic it almost makes me think Yahoo answers would be a better option.

• @girlsaskguys
    It's a bad idea.

• I am firmly against it. It promotes bigotry, sexism, and prevents the asker from getting the answer they really need. As @kheserthorpe said, the gender the person is blocking is most often the one with correct answer.

• Voted B... in the end even if a question is directed to girls or guys only, who cares that someone from the other gender posts an opinion?
    I don't like the idea of blocking people. If they misbehave report them and if not, let them post their opinion.

• That about says it all.

• I also like the opinion of @herserthorpe: they don't want to hear the truth. So true!
      It may be my or our problem but... I like to hear the truth :-)

• I would rather hear the truth then a bunch of BS & yea yea yea.

• OMG! not another G@G change, no wonder where losing G@G elders. I doubt it will last very long like the tab update.

• Bad idea
    -
    -
    -

• I see how some people like it, but I dislikes this change. By selecting that option on our questions, we are subscribing to gender stereotypes, and assuming only one gender will have worthwhile opinions on a certain topic. Everyone can have something important to say, and I want to hear them.

• I think that questions should be open for everyone but i think polls should be allowed to be gender specific. There are a lot of cases where it would be nice to only allow one gender to vote on a poll.

• Why polls are split by gender it easy to see who voted how.

• Its called girls ask guys not girls ask girls or guys ask guys... G@G I repeat

• I actually just did a myTake on the subject, check it out :)

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a9052-limiting-genders-my-opinion-on-gag-s-new-update

• I didn't quite get if your for or against this new blocking. Next GAG is coming with age blocking whats with that?

• Didn't even notice it cause didn't pay attention to the site all that much recently but it sounds asinine.

• I don't mind it... if someone wants their question only answered by a certain gender then so be it! Its what we call freedom of choice and speech.

They may very well lose out on some great views/feedback, but it's there choice!

• the worst implementation ever.

• Pointless. Come up with sumthing better next time >.>
    Like a profile theme song.

• It's good because sometimes I really want to get responses only from one gender and not troll responses from the same sex

• Its a good idea, because I have some questions for girls only, and guys think they need to answer them...

• i'm on the fence about it. I see the positives and negatives of giving people the option, but i predict that a lot of men specifically will find themselves unable to answer quite a few questions going forward

• Isn't the point of this site to get opinions from BOTH genders?

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 25

• I don't like it. As I have said on another thread about this, the answers are already separated by gender so if a QA is only interested in opinions from one gender, they can easily just ignore the other. I mean, there's no reason to just completely block an entire group of people from answering a question simply because they are men or women. It's just a little ridiculous to me and unnecessary.

• No matter what blocking seems unfriendly to me.
    I liked all opinions being allowed It strikes me more as a peoples friendly site that way.

• It defeats the purpose of the site.

Girls asks guys ask girls.
    *except for when you feel like leaving a gender out*

• This is one update that I strongly disagree with. It has the potential to defeat the entire purpose of the site, for example if I ask a question and I only want girls' answers. It's not called Girls Ask Girls. I've already seen a few good questions that I wanted to answer but I can't because I'm not a dude. If people only want to hear opinions from their own gender, they should go to a forum that caters to that gender. What's the point in being here if you don't want to hear opinions from everybody?

I can just see this becoming a little playground for the people who hate the opposite gender.

• I find it to be epically stupid.

• Well I can't really see myself ever using it. I appreciate advice from both genders. However, I guess if someone wants to use it it's there. I can definitely see the cons to it though. I just remember a girl asked an opinion for guys only. If any girl answered (myself included) she got mad at all the girls for answering when she didn't want there answers. She basically said something along the lines of: Can't you read? I said guys only. I don't care about your opinion. So I guess that option is good for rude people like that. However, the gender that person is excluding might have someone who can put in good input for the asker.

• Exactly. Just ignore the posts from the gender you didn't want answers from..

• Bad idea.

Okay, there are some questions where you want to have more male input than female or visa versa. But people specify. And people can tell very good stories with helpful advice. Eg, a story of a friend who has been through something similar.

Gender blocking is asking for trouble

• I'm actually thinking of leaving because of this. This site already accentuates the differences between the gender, but blocking them? This site has become even more sexist. I hate it.

• It's annoying. I wanted to comment on someone's opinion and I couldn't because of the gender blocking. Like maybe for POLLS it's a good idea but for answers? People want to say their opinions. If you don't want another gender's opinion, don't read their answers or discredit them. They can still be helpful to other people.

• Nah I'm not a fan

• I was surprised by it ytd when I wantes to comment.
    I think it is okay as some people just post irrelevant comments and the asker just want one gender to answer. But asker gotta be prep that the no. Of responses would be reduced.

• I wouldn't say it's a BAD idea, but it definitely isn't a great one. Can't say I like it... nor do I see the point in it.

• I don't like it, it makes me feel sad because sometimes I really have good opinions.

• Not good. Not good. Not good.

• Horrible horrible idea.

• Its a good idea.

• I don't care. I only read the answers I am interested in in detail. Usually the amount of opinions on a question is not that large.

• well some questions u only require one genders opinion , the other can give hurtful and perverted opinions soooooo , in that case i think it's really useful :)

• The gender you don't ban can & do give hurtful unhelpful perverted opinions to.

• aaa they can but dont mind this but guy's tend to give more perverted opinions to some serious question than girls
      i'm really sorry i don't mean to be rude

• No offence taken. Thanks for your input.

• I didn't even know that was an option now, wow. So how does this work? You aren't even able to click on a question if you aren't that gender or you just don't have the option to answer it?

• Dislike.. Bad decision..

• wasn't aware of this. not sure what to think

• now we can't call people out on their bs when their trying to get attention from the opposite sex like the penis and race questions Lol

• I haven't even noticed the change o_O

• I think its unnecessary if you want mainly a girls opinion then state that in the question or if you want mainly a guys opinion then do the same and state it in the question or title there's no need to completely block a gender from sharing their thoughts/opinions

• I wasn't aware it was a new thing but I think it's dumb. It's called girls ask guys not girls ask girls or guys ask guys. It's not fair to limit a gender to questions. Both have good input.