Should you have to give a reason for blocking someone?

nuf said.

I hate it when I give a legitimate argument against an opinion in response to someone else's opinion and they just block you because you weren't like "yes master you are always right master"

example

http://www.girlsaskguys.com/other/q1387676-what-phone-shall-i-get

It's happened three times. I wish that you weren't allowed to block someone for anything less then a legitimate reason.

The first time was with a certain popular female gager who is 21.

:/

Really pisses me off because this is a site that encourages a healthy debate and sharing opinions and agreeing or disagreeing with those opinions. Then you get people that are too immature or everyone has to agree with them or they block them.

If someone is name calling or whatever yeah go ahead but for fucks sakes don't block someone who gives a good argument that doesn't agree with yours for that reason only.

• Yes you should have to give a reason for blocking someone and a decision should be made with admin or mods
  • Maybe
  • No it should stay the same and block whoever for whatever reason
  • Other (please specific)

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel ya. At the same time, is a person who's willing to block you over something stupid really the kind of person you wanna converse with anyway?

There's a few people here that have blocked me for ridiculous reasons, and I just see it as them doing me a favor.

What Guys Said 11

• I think you should have a good reason but the mod stuff is a bit crazy. Honestly I think this is just a rule for life. I see no reason people can not be at least civil after little spats anywhere in life. Shutting people out before of something small like this is just crazy.

• there's always a reason by default basically..

how can we block someone without a reason? you mut be crazy to block someone with no reason :-P

• I personally wish they had to legitimately specify the reason behind why they blocked you. I get blocked by random Level 4 people on a regular basis, most possibly because I tend to disagree with their religion. Or at least that's what I think, as I have no idea why they actually block me. I had never talked to them, after all.

• Yeah like have different categories like they do for flagging posts.

• I've been blocked by so many random people that I've never even talked to, I only figure it out when I try to post on a question and it tells me I'm blocked!

Isn't "I don't like them" a valid reason?

• I'm for the freedom of blocking whenever, whoever and for what-so-ever I want.

Basically I use the block function to sort out the so called trolls, idiots, nonsense users, offenders and spammers.

No such reason for me to block because of disagreement, bitter truth etc. that's just blind and a loss.

• No, you don't need a reason. You can do it just by someone pissing you off

• Yeah but there is a certain female gager who is very popular most likely because anytime someone gives a legitimate argument against her opinion she blocks them so she has minimal down votes because she blocks everyone else.

• P. I don't want to say anything else because I don't want my post taken down for talking shit about a gager (even though it's true)

• hm ok. I'll keep an eye on her

• This has happened to me more than you... But I don't give the shit to the blockers... I block them too... But I wish admin should introduce the hide features of the blockers so that we don't see their face... :'"!

• I block people who block me, even if they piss me off i never block em but that hasn't happened so far

• The cases I'm referring to each time a made a valid point that they couldn't argue against and I did not make a an insult against them.

The popular female gager I know at least 2 other people who she blocked for the same reason. One just said I don't agree with you and she blocked them.

• I know it's just a piss off.

• Just ignore, you're never gonna meet the losers anyway

• If you wanna block someone it's because they're annoying (atleast to you) and you don't wanna interact with them by any possible means whatsoever so I'd say No you don't need to justify your action :)

• Consider being blocked a gift by such people a gift.

• If a person blocks me then he wasn't worth my time anyway.

So it doesn't matter to me.

What Girls Said 7

• No. You should be able to block whoever without having to give a reason. If you can't handle being blocked, don't use the internet. People are allowed to block those they don't want to listen to, even if that person is being reasonable and honest.

• But the point of this site is to debate and share your opinion if people can't handle the point of this site then they shouldn't be on it.

• But it would reduce illegitimate blocking. ex. you don't agree with me so I block you.

• That's a legitimate reason to block someone though, whether you like it or not. While this site encourages debates, it also encourages people to be free to block whoever they want. Might as well get rid of the entire feature, if you're only allowed to block certain people. It would take too much time for the mods/admins/whoever to filter through the "legitimate" and "illegitimate" reasons for people blocking each other. There's no point.

• My internet. My rules. If I decide I don't want to talk with someone anymore I don't have to. I don't need to justify myself to anyone. I don't need to prove that I block for the "right" reasons.

Just like you deserve respect for your decisions so do other people. If you were in a room full of people and someone you talked with in the past was giving you a dirty look or talking about something you really didn't like, would you talk to them? Or would you just ignore them and enjoy yourself with nicer people?

That's the same thing blocking is.

• No, I like the fact I can block whoever I like. The list of blocked people is far far smaller than the number of those who have blocked me, but who cares... Not me!

• The issue is the reason for blocking. They should have to pick a category like they do for flagging posts

• There are arseholes everywhere, especially here and there are many GaG ers who are stupid popular but seem so incredibly stupid, rude, narrow minded and just full as shit... but fuck it, I don't care who blocks me... unless it's someone I like then it would suck. But the others? Pfft. Let them get on with it, only hurting themselves as they will continue with their tiny minded attitude.

• I've been blocked twice. And once I don't even know why, I don't even think I talked to her! And by the way one was dumpingprincess I think. I went to up vote her opinion and it said I was blocked! And the other was cipher42 but we got in a fight so I understand that one. But why dumpingprincess?

• I regularly block people for the reason that they gave me a bad vibe/unnerved me. Sometimes I'll see them around, and figure, 'Actually they're alright, maybe I'm just paranoid' and unblock them.

See, you can unblock someone but you can't--idk, what's going to happen on the Internet? Fuck knows. That's the scary thing. They could hack you, doxx you, murder your friends and family--I mean, they could.. you never know.

I vote for keeping a no-reason blocking policy.

• There's only one reason why I block people here. Idc how stupid or retarded or offensive the question or the opinion is, I only block people for one reason,

Sexting me when it is written on my profile that I'm not doing any sexting😬😬😬

• Yes... Hopefully I don't try to block a mod!

• What happens if you do block a mod anyways?

• Beats me. If your suggestion were in effect, the last guy who blocked a mod would probably have the worst time on here. x)

• lol yeah.

I kind of want to try it and see what happens but that seems like a bad idea.

The only people I have ever blocked were complete creeps who were like "hey want to see my dick?" or they started messaging me and lying about thing about themselves I'm like nope if you are lying you have something to hide.