Why block people?

What is the point of blocking people just because their opinion differs from your own? It doesn't make you any better, or really give you the last word, it just makes you look weak.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm pretty sure I've mostly been blocked only by religious people. Mostly for saying that religion is technically just a mass delusion.

It is! That's exactly what it is! But I'm pretty sure those 6 low level people I've seen who blocked me without me ever talking to them, that's why they blocked me. There is no other explanation, haha.

No idea, by the way. Some people are just immature. They don't like hearing a differing opinion because otherwise they'd have to consider that they might actually be wrong, so they block you instead. That is why we are not making progress as a society in some regards.

• Indeed. You have earned most helpful there sir.

• I blocked you for your open anti-semitic and anti-Rromani views

• @LauraMarx you blocked me for telling you that biological sex is important from the perspective of reproduction, and that it isn't just a government conspiracy

You liar

What Guys Said 10

• I want to say i don't block anyone because I have no problem with other peoples opinions and I even enjoy a bit of debate because it often leads to me rethinking things and learning something new.

The thing is though I have 1 user blocked and this user is a real piece of work in my opinion, serious bigot that I have 0 desire to waste energy on, it took a long time for me to block them but eventually it was what needed to be done.

• It has happened to me a bunch. I'll be discussing something then suddenly the mention feature don't work on them anymore. Or pre-update I'll keep getting "questions" that are rants and I can't respond. I find the people just get way too heated over a slight disagreement.

• I don't like blocking people but when they come on my Opinion
    harassing me than I will block them.

• Of course, harassment is a good reason to block.

• That makes sense! I don't understand the point of being rude to a stranger.

• Only if they get confrontational.

• I have never blocked one person and i will never block someone!

People who block are usually chicks who want the last word on your page Lol

By the way, JESUS is Lord almighty. Get off the bullshit man.

• No idea, i block no one! People block me!

• I don't like blocking people. Sometimes I block people when I get angry but I feel bad about it later and unblock them. The only person I don't feel bad blocking is someone who kept harrasing me out of the blue for my ethnicity... Even still I'd rather not block anyone, it's too reactionary I think...

• you shouldn't feel obligated not to block people who harass you for your ethnicity, comrade :(

• Blocking people because their opinion differs? I thought blocking was for those you hate. Lol.

• That's what I thought too!!! Apparently not

• But if they don't share their opinion, kinda hard to find them, no?

• Indeed

• I guess if it is downright offensive, then you could. But agree with you, different opinion based on fact, isn't being rude.

Some people could be more polite tho!

Good thread! Could you help me on mine pls?

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1370383-is-this-flirty-female-friend-into-me-am-i-into-her-why-do-i

• I block only persistantly annoying and very rude people.

What Girls Said 11

• yeah those kinds of people i call the silly blockers.

BUT i will block a person who displays their disagreement in absolutely offensive ways. I'm all for people disagreeing with me. i respect diversity, but if someone doesn't give me that same acknowledgment then they are blocked.

i also block creeps, bitches and just rude people who r rude for no reason in general.

• All very good reasons!!! Thanks!

• Honestly? I have a REALLY low tolerance for idiocy. And if you are being stupid and just continue to be stupid I'll block you to save myself from having to deal with further idiocy from you in the future.

And yes, I know, GAG is not the place to go and expect intelligence, but I'm here and I'm addicted.

• That does make total sense, but I'm asking due to opinions, not stupidity. Like for example if you're having a conversation who is intelligent, but has a different opinion, why block them? What is the point?

• I see. That's a good reason as well.

• "I'm here and I'm addicted"
      I found it incredibly funny. :p

• I've gotten harassed for my age a lot. People don't take my opinions seriously a lot of times.
    There are also people that creep in my opinions (by that I mean they comment on a few of my opinions) and say rude and nonsensical things about me and/or my opinion.
    There are people messaging me crazy and rude and creepy things.
    There are people that attack me for no good reason.
    There are people that I happen to see giving lots of people crap for their opinions and so I block that person to save myself some trouble.

I have lots of people blocked simply because I have little patience with people on this site.

• I never Block anyone on here, dear, unless I find it absolutely Necessary to do so. I have had to press a button om my end when a perverted Gager hits my inbox and is rude and crude. I also press a button when someone goes on my turf here after I have answered a very important question, and instead of Answering the Question themselves, they take up my space and do this and I feel it is rude and crude and therefore, I cannot trust them to continue to do it again and again. xx

• Good reasoning.

• Why, thank you... I don't see why when they have a chance to Answer for themselves, Why they feel it necessary to come on my turf? I didn't get to be a Guru by being rude and crude and apparently they don't care if they are. lol:)) xx

• I agree. It pisses me off.

• Some people block people because they won't stop harassing them. So if a guy keeps messaging you and doesn't stop you just block him

• That is totally different from what I asked. I understand that reason completely. I asked why due to difference in opinions.

• Hope they don't mess with you!

• I'm not sure why people do it. It can seem a big petty if it is just because of a difference in opinion, but if someone is harassing you then blocking would help solve the problem. I have never blocked anyone before. I never felt the need and plus it is easy for the other person to just make multiple accounts.

• I block, because they are either rude, immature or can't take a hint. I don't care to argue as well.

• The number of stars one can see in the sky is no more even than odd. Pyrrho says we should avoid vexatious people. I've blocked around 70 of them so far :)

• its not the fact that people get blocked cause they have a diffrent opnion from yours. the biggest reason i block someone is cause they cannot tell me their opnion without having to be rude or call me stuff cause i dont have a similiar opnion to theirs. I've blocked 30+ people on this site and i will go on doing so. everyone are entitled to their own opnion. but if they are going to tell me their opion and bash down on me while they are doing so they are getting blocked.

• That is of course a great reason to block people.

• I block people cause there are creepo's out there.