Will you stick around if gag adds a filter to block certain age groups from questions?

if the next update includes the ability to block gagers of certain age groups from answering your questions, what will you do?

• I would be happy about it. use it regularly.
  • I would be disappointed. never use it.
  • I'll leave/deactivate.
  • other.
I'm just curious if people would feel as strongly as they do about the new gender block.

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, I'd take leaving as a serious option if they added more restrictions. At first I'd check to see if anyone really uses it for a week or two. But if it becomes a popular feature and almost every question is restricted in some way (gender, age or both) I'd leave. To me, GaG is a time waster. I come here to answer questions or to talk with people when I don't have anything better to do. But if I constantly find myself looking at questions I want to answer, but can't, then I see no purpose in using this site. I'm not here to just read, I'm here to interact too. If you take out the interacting part, I might as well just go read a book instead. It would be far more satisfying anyway.

What Guys Said 32

• Down with these stupid filter blocks! It's ridiculous and its starting to get worse than Yahoo Answers!

• No. Nothing can stop me. I have set up some targets and without achieving them, I won't leave.

I don't give a carrot if somebody uses it. I think gag will revert back its recent changes because of the backlash.

I won't use it. I didn't even use Anon feature. Gender block and age block is out of question.

• "Nothing can stop me"
      That's the spirit lol

I'd like to block everyone without a selfie up ;) ;) ;)

• what are your targets?

• GURU - UberMod - 30 Promoted myTakes - At least $75 donation - 100 'true' followers - Saving around 10 lives.

• The gender blocking is already way too much.

historyofjournalism.onmason.com/.../...h-zone.jpeg

• lol, it's not exactly a free speech issue. you can still voice your opinions about whatever you choose, just can't post it in certain places.

• it's not exactly the same.

if we weren't able to complain about it, then it would be.

• @thewanderingme
      First amendment.

• I wouldn't care. I do think the age group that would be majorly impacted by this would be "under 18" though.

• With that, people will either just leave or make fake accounts where they lie and claim they are 30 years old, so that nobody would question them.

I voted B).

• Personally, I think they need to stop changing things. Or simply offer an option to run GaG in vanilla w/o all the needless updates.

• I agree completely. the updates are never useful.

is 'vanilla' mode a thing a lot of sites do?

• User Interface. They are the parts of the site or program that the user directly interacts with, things like display screen, keyboard, mouse, the appearance of a desktop, illuminated characters, help messages, and how an application program or a Web site invites interaction and responds to it.

• most people won't leave if they made such an update. People here are more addicted to GaG than they think they are. After almost every update, there has been huge community shock, followed by backlash, yet still people stay. I remember when the site got its complete overhaul and people were complaining about it left right and center, with calls of activity dropping all over the place. And where are we today? Activity survived, and quite a few of the regulars are still here. So despite what people say about leaving, I'll only believe it when i see it

• yea.. though, I think the current updates are pretty big and not just aesthetic like the older ones.

• Kinda sucks though. Sometimes people can have a really good opinion or something important to say but can't due to the filter or even no they might not be taken seriously due to their age in my opinion.

• Absolutely B... GAG is a "caring community"... in a community you don't block entire groups of people. You coach people to give useful, helpful opinions and try to engage the entire community to report (not just block) creepy members to the admin team so they can be taken care of.
    Moreover, by doing that you motivate the community to get involved in the management of the site, while just as today it's the admins who will make the end decisions. Which is fine.

• I agree, although I've flagged the creeps many times and nothing was done.

• If you encounter an example make me aware... I'll tell you if I would have hidden it and why.
      And, if appropriate, hide it right away.

• in Gin Rummy's voice:

You know god damn well i wont! cause i just dont give a fuck!

• Sorry kiddos but I think a filter for age is very appropriate considering the crazy things GAG has regularly.

If I had children I would not want them exposed to such BS... So I must assume their parents feel the same... so YES for age filter if needed for some questions

• hmm.. it does creep me out when kids answer on very sexual questions. or worse, creepy old folks give them tips on their own questions, but I do think they should still be able to get good honest advice on things they probably have no one in person to talk about with

• They could get honest advice. The questioned you asked was for age filter to be placed on people responding to question. These younger folks can still ask questions and get advice

I wouldn't want my daughter (if I had one) being exposed to some of this non sense here

• Not only would l stay but I welcone it it's about time I don't need under age children replying to my posts or commenting on my replies on here.

• I was going to say something, then I glanced at your username and forgot... no, you probably don't. lol ;)

• Thank you for seeing it from my point if view and yes my user name has everything to do with communication with adults

• I would never use the age blocking feature

I voted B.

• I wish gag would stop working on updates like they've been doing, and come up with an app that works.

• I'm sorry, to answer your original question; yes, I'll probably stick around, unless all my favorite people clear out. They're the only ones keeping me here anyway.

• Like your favorite stalker ;) but there is so many glitches on this. It keeps kicking me out of my browser & the new updates aren't great. They should let us post pictures without links in opinions.

• @Littlett25
      You're right.
      It's like, come on guys, we appreciate you trying to make it better, but everything was just fine a week ago haha

• Yes, they have it fixed on here where you can follow a certain age now
    and i wouldn't stick around for the age group block cause i think older
    people would suffer cause the majority of the age on here is 18-24

• I'm actually considering leaving as we speak. If that happens I'll bail in a heartbeat. All of these limitations are really irritating and conflicting, something like this would make matters worse.

• I doubt that will happen. I'm pretty sure that within 2 weeks they'll undo the gender blocking.

• haha no I'd leave that would be the red line for me its already bad enough doing the gender blocking thing.

• A lot of people would ban us under 18s then. I wouldn't leave, but I would hate it.

• That would be the last straw for me. Goodbye GAG

• I even would block ages but it would be nice to have a feature where you can have your same gender only be able to see your questions. . some subjects are too personal and the opposite gender does not even need to view the subject.

• If that person is so narrow minded to block an age group, I wouldn't care.

• Choice B here. I hope they eventually remove the gender block.

If you don't like / want an opinion from a particular sex, be mature enough to just not read it / just ignore it.

• I haven't come across that many, but yea. it's silly and odd for a site like this.

• Wouldn't care, most sites like this are predominantly ageist any way. With it being predominantly for young people, and most mature people excluded, or scorned upon

• huh, really? honestly, I've never noticed ages displayed on other q&a/forum type sites.

• I am referring more to peoples opinions on the sites, rather than the sites

• It wouldn't make a differents I would still use GAG

• I would be very disapointed

• I think I'd just not use it, but if people leave, then it'll become boring on here.

• Honestly I feel there are some things asked on here that people that are under 18 shouldn't be giving their opinions on (like the 14 year old's trying to give dating advice to adutls)

• It is even useful? People can register multiple accounts!

• This question should be for minors, not adults. Why do we care? We're adults.

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 14

• I'd stay but I'd probably log in less.

... Who am I kidding?
    I'd still use that shit even though I'd be a little disappointed :p.
    At least they pay attention to what we say so I doubt that would ever happen. ^_^

• I'd be really annoyed. I hate how they have put the gender filter. Everybody should have their right to share their opinion/ experiences.

• agreed. it's funny too because every question that is blocking a gender is being mostly ignored.

• I wouldn't use it

• I don't know honestly. I haven't been on for 3 days and a mate of mine (off here) told me about the gender blocking thing. I was like in no rush to coming back. I hope GaG stops trying to improve the site. The whole gender blocking thing defeats the whole purpose of the site and it's disappointing to see a fantastic site like this, take a turn for the worst.

• their improvements always make things worse. lol

• @misscoffeehead, well the feedback you usually read from admin team is that they do take into account the feedback from users... so I hope the result of the poll will be taken into account.
      Most small changes from the past did not really bother me but closing questions off for 1 gender is not my thing!

• @Hans222 fingers cross they do something about it, sooner then later!

• I would not use that feature but I wouldn't leave the site because of it.

• cool, I was just curious what people would do with even more restrictions.

• Yeah, I kind of think there are already too many restrictions, I don't like the "gender block" option.

• I think I would end up not being on here as much. But if everyone or most ends up banning under 18s im leaving no doubt about it.

• I would leave most likely. I bet my age range would be blocked a lot.

• I'd find it hard to stick around since I mostly answer questions I'm not supposed to answer.

• I wouldn't care.

• The only thing like that that should be implemented in my honest opinion is GaG sets a standars of how can post in sexual health vs sexual behavior. Not a new option that we can chose ourselves.

• I would never use it same as this gender block thing.

• If that happened then I mine as well leave because everyone would block the U18 group

• Yeah, I'd still stick around.

• No I wouldn't stick around I feel like the majority would have a "under 18 block" >:I