Just a question about this website, why should someone who is 30 take advice from 17 year olds?

I'm just wondering, it seems a lot like somone with real experience asking a complete rookie.

To 17 year olds: That number was chosen because it is directly before legal adulthood, not as some kind of underhanded personal attack.

Most Helpful Girl

• I couldn't see myself asking for serious advice on this site. There are some users that I do think give great, intelligent, mature, informed advice/insight, but the fact that the age demographic skews so young here does make me feel like a lot of people don't have the life experience to answer a lot of questions that someone older would be asking (asking for marriage or divorce advice, for example---if I wanted advice on something like that, I'd want it from someone in my own peer group).

I guess it helps that the person's age (or age range) is displayed, so you can decide how much weight you should give to someone's answer. Just because someone gives advice doesn't mean you have to take it.

What Girls Said 15

• Age is not always related to maturity. I know people in their 50's who are less mature than people in their 10's or 20's.

• Because sometimes a younger person can give a perspective that the older person hasn't thought of.

As an example. Divorce.

So your 17 year old hasn't been through a divorce. Maybe the 30 year old is going through one or thinking about one.

Often they'll go on about what their partner has done wrong, how unhappy they are etc etc. And then they don't know if they should stick with it or go.
    You have a 17 year old who's parents have recently divorced. They might describe a story of yelling, misery, home hopping, court cases, court statements, etc etc. Although you might not think it's useful, maybe the Asker hasn't even thought of how it will effect his/her kids.

I think the younger ones have their place - especially for asking for advice on here. Just because of their age you shouldn't poo-poo their advice. Some of them even have helpful work advice!

• Perspective. Some people aren't looking for answers per se, or definitives, just different view points. And whilst not all the users might not have a wealth of experience to back up their opinions, they can certainly, in some cases anyway, draw something from somewhere that may be of use - even if it is just looking at something in a different way. Older doesn't always mean wiser.

• Just because we haven't been around long doesn't mean we are stupid. Divorce, cancer, and lgbt questions tend to be my specialty. I can have more insight about relationships than a 25 year old who has never been in one or maybe there is an adult about to have sex for the first time... I can help with their questions. A rookie depends on what you know and have experienced and that is about the cards life deals you not about age.

• Because teenagers half a different mindset. Just because they may be young, it does not mean they half less experience (in some cases) or aren't as intelligent. It just gives a different perspective. I see many younger people give more intelligent and thoughtful, hourough advice than some 40 year olds. It just really gives you a variety of answers and opinions too.

• Because so much has changed that a 30 year old may not realize that what they know may be outdated. A 17 year old is younger and grew up in an entirely different generation that has an entirely different perspective of the world. It's a fresh view point that may enlighten the 30 year old in ways that they didn't realize.

• age is just a number you can't connect age with experiences. Some people go through much more then you think at a young age. I say read the advice because maybe they are seeing something you don't or someone who is older. Personally I find it helpful to see opinions/advice for all ages and genders.

• It's their opinion, not advice you have to take! :P

• Is anyone forcing you to take their advice? I don't think so.

• The OP is asking what makes a 17 year old's advice justified. Your attitude scares people away.

• I get exactly what the asker is trying to ask. My initial comment still stands.
      I've always wondered why people are scared of me. Shit -_-
      @throwaway_001993

• Yeah. Fashion advice. Some underage people give all around good advice I've seen some 32 year olds give the worst advice ever.

• We mature with the damage, not the years.

• Well some might have good advice

• Anyone that ignores someone's opinion based purely on their age is an ass.

• They don't.

• 17 year olds are adults.

What Guys Said 19

• It depends on the subject. There are always those rare 17 year olds who are geniuses. Generally, 17 year olds have very limited life experience, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Sadly, many 30 year olds lack the wisdom I've seen in many younger people. True, one gains life experience as one ages, but many people don't process the experience very well. I think the ability to process experience and learn from it is something of an innate talent. I've encountered my share of teens who can learn from experience much better than older people, hence even though they have less life experience, they are sometimes wiser because they can process the experience more intelligently.

• what's so bad about it?

and many 60 year old people take advice from 20 year olds about mobiles gadgets and stuff like that basicallt

• One of the early friends I made here was 17.

She also was married with kids.

Age is loosely linked to experience and wisdom and not at all to Intelligence. some teens give good advice some older people give terrible advice.

• Any 17 year old who bothered to sign up for this site probably has some lick of maturity and/or intelligence. We're already concerned about our knowledge of the world of love. Most of the things we say/believe are a result of analyzing many different opinions and stories of experienced adults and then conglomerating the pieces of the puzzle together. We're still learning, but we like to give advice because... subconsciously we're testing our theories. We wait for someone with experience to either approve of our theory or object to it and enlighten us.
    The databases need constant updating.

• I am 46 and I had a very informative discussion about mental health with a 14 year old on this site which I learnt the most from - So basically age is just a number nothing else.

• Then only listen to them when it's not based on experience or something that they could already have experience with. While the amount of people of any age on the internet that you should listen to is already incredibly minute sometimes the planets align in such a way. It's your job to tell when it happens. Stay vigilant.

• they aren't being forced lol. i mean we're on the internet. On any website, you can have kids giving advice to older people. You think people know the age of the person telling them how to do something on reddit? Some people know a lot for their age, so i wouldn't automatically discount them

• Aye you never know, some young ones are wise lol
    I don't think the adults on here even take teens seriously though

• Maybe because some people aren't idiots who think that anybody under 20 can't have any life experience.

• People lead different lives. Being older doesn't make someone more experienced. It simply makes you older. I'm 17 ik but over been through a whole lot in that time

• Many of us do research on things. I know I spend a lot of my time, for example, researching and asking things online regarding social situations. So I'd say i know enough to give sound advice.

• People no matter what age have different perspectives on different situations. Age isn't the factor here. Being older doesn't necessarily give you more knowledge, I'm sure you know that.

• But there is a clear difference between knowledge and wisdom. Some people regardless of age will never have knowledge, and I can admit that. But age does have a direct affect on how much general life experience you have, and experience is the backing factor of wisdom.

• I don't take their advice

• I had to figure. Looking at most of the responses I've gotten, instead of answering they're all just taking personal offense as if I was intentionally asking to spite them.

• Depends if the answer is logical and unbiased.

• Just because someone gives you advice doesn't me that you have to take it

• It depends on what advice and experience level. It has little to do with age.

• I just like to talk out of my ass. Dont take it personally.

• They generally don't have any life experience, they have poor judgment, I wouldn't listen to them. I don't know why you'd take advice from a kid. I'm glad someone dusted off the word "rookie".. people just say noob these days and it's not as good.