On GAG do you tell people what they like to hear or what they need to hear?

Are you honest or do you tell the plain truth?

• I like to be honest, even if it hurts
  • I like to tell the person what they want to hear, because it will help them get their goals and build confidence

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't handle the truth!

What Girls Said 14

• I prefer to try to tell people what they need to hear.
    The way I see it, they're here because they want fresh opinions and advice. We're completely removed from their situations, it's an opportunity to tell them the way things are, and say things that people in their life would probably just sugarcoat.

It can depend on the question though. Some people are simply seeking reassurance and I see nothing wrong with offering some supportive words and telling them what they want to hear.

• When people ask questions I like to answer with what truly answers the question. I always try to make it as realistic but just like how I believe everyone should communicate, there should be respect and compassion. To truly help someone you have to give them what they need to hear not what they want to hear. Or else that could just be reassuring them with lies.

• I have to admit that I avoid doing the first thing even though sometimes I do so subconsciously ;_;.
    Most of the times I answer for the sake of it and I try to be honest.
    I rarely put an effort in my answers though.

• I'm the latter BUT sometimes I'm brutally honest, and other times i express my honesty with consideration of others' feelings, especially on sensitive topics, because i think people deserve that decency.

• I like to be honest, even if it hurts. That's why people think I'm rude and don't like me on here. Because of my bluntness

• You get the truth from me. Whether it's put in a nice or mean way... That depends on who you are and how I'm feeling that day haha.

• I just joined so I've only commented on a couple of posts. I always tell the truth but if it's something that could hurt someone's feelings I would try to be careful how I phrase my reply so it can be more constructive than hurtful.

• Nah, you get the truth from me, but the truth in a nice way.

• I well them what they need to hear.

• It's my downfall I'm known to be brutally honest most of the time.

• i am honest or i don't comment at all

• I like to be honest, even if it hurts

• I'm honest all the time, which leads to some askers (mostly the female ones) going mental and blocking me afterwards. I don't quite get it, if they don't wanna hear some honest answers they should not ask at all.

• Personally, I tell the truth, but I dont make it brutal. I try to be kind, yet realistic.

What Guys Said 11

• Sometimes if I sense that person is really insecure, I may tell them something they wanna hear. Still trying to be as honest as possible without hurting them.
    Other times I'm honest but I use my words differently, again, to try not to hurt them.
    Other times I'm brutally honest, especially with conceited people.

• I'm always brutally honest, although I try my best to put across the message in the nicest possible way.

• I wouldn't be here if I told people what they wanted to hear. I say what I think about the questions I read.

• i give them polite honesty
    sometimes i will boost the Rate me questions a bit, but only because, i want to build their self esteem

• i give advice that best suits their issues. if it's honest, then all the better.

being truthful is good, and i never believed in this "tell peope what they want to hear.." crap. people generally are reasonable, and would accept a bad thing if they can see or know it's bad.

• I say what i want and when i want!

• I am trying to learn how to tell people what they want to hear. I am not very good at it. :(

• What they need to hear or how I feel

• If you've seen my responses to fat acceptance questions, you know I'm honest lol.

• Honesty is king. I'm always honest. (or try to be :P)

• No or else I'll get blocked.