Why is there now an option to report a question because of "suicidal tendencies"?

I've just seen the option to report a question because of "suicidal tendencies". Why shoudl we report questions that have suicidal tendencies? If a person seems to be suicidal, shouldn't we try to help them with some advice, instead of deleting their questions?

Most Helpful Girl

• I asked the admins about it also because they actually never informed us (the mods) about that new removal option. They told me it was because some people on here ask questions that "glorify" suicide, so they don't want questions about that topic on here at all. So, when the question gets taken down, the person who asked the question will receive a message from the admins with support and help information.

*Note: this is just what the admins told me. Personally speaking, I don't think they really should be removed because I don't think questions about that topic are always necessarily "glorifying" suicide but that's just my opinion.*

What Guys Said 11

• We should but I suppose the moderators are thinking that it might have to chance to start a suicide chain.
    Kinda... kindling the thoughts of other depressed people perhaps.

It's a bit of a... empirical way to governing a community I suppose.
    I'd like to think MAYBE just... MAYBE the moderators who deleted the question followed up but then it just might be wishful thinking.

• I would hope that if such a case happened the site would directly contact the user with links to professional organisations who would be more expert in giving advice rather than a mixed bag of well intentioned advice from us with some trolls abusing from the side.
    If questions were removed quickly it removes the allure for the attention seekers and hoaxers and as they lessen off , only the truly vunerable will use this forum for suicide advice and they will be contacted to be given the correct help as quickly as possible.

• Because questions regarding HOW to commit suicide or to self-harm... now have a designated option for reporting/removal.

I understand questions of "Why should I continue living anymore?"... I highly doubt those will be removed.

But questions about HOW TO self-harm, or HOW to hide self-harm scars or hide the evidence, or HOW to commit suicide? This site doesn't want to be liable for that on their website.

• Because it's completely unfair to drop a legitimate threat of suicide on someone. They never asked to have some unstable persons life in their hands. If someone killed themselves based off a comment someone made even though they meant it for the best of intentions the kooky suicide person might take it the wrong way and kill themselves because of it. That could cause the other person to feel extreme guilt.

• I believe thats an option to choose for when one wants to report an idiot trying to argue for a lost cause.

• Lot of websites are doing that now if one says their going to self harm
    they will remove your question.. I know some sites will contact local
    authorities but no one should be ignored whose crying out for help and
    are suicidal.

• I messaged an admin from what I understand they are given resources when the question is removed.

• I would hope they put that on here. I saw a question a few days ago about a girl who asked how to commit suicide. Good ways to do it because she wanted to do it

• I don't know what the owners of this site are doing anymore.

• Some people do it for atention but some people are serious I always tend to answer those questions in PM since I've been there I got chronic depression but it's better to ask for help in a way that doesn't make others feel you are being too dramatic

• I'm fine with it.

What Girls Said 10

• From what I understand, the Admins don't want posts that encourage, condone, or even glorify suicide, and when the question is removed, the QA is given resources for help that they can use instead.

I kind of agree with it, honestly. I really hate to say it but unfortunately I think it's too difficult to determine if those people are being serious or just looking for attention. Not to mention we users may not exactly be the best help they can get, if they really are in need of it...

• I'm pretty sure that's what the report button is for - so instead of getting the random and largely unhelpful (if well-intended) advice of a bunch of strangers, that the admins can reach out with assistance information for each case pertinent to their particular area.

• Many people ask for advice on how to kill themselves.

That itself is contributing to the problem

• well if it's like that, then yes. That should be removed. But cries for help shouldn't be ignored.

• Well that is what the reporting it is referring to.
      that's what I would typically delete

• Yeah, I kind of don't understand it either. I think it's because some people are trolling when they do it and it spams up the site.

• I'm not sure why this is but I'm assuming is because when your posting about commiting suicide it means they probably need help. I'm sure gag probably gets the report and will report it to the appropriate person. I don't think they would put that option just to delete the post I think Its more for helping that person with further investigation. etc. I mean I hope that's the case.

• I think that's the point. Alerting the admins so that they can step in and possibly help.

• Except that if I were close to jumping off the roof of a building and going on GAG was my last resort, and then I had to find out that my question had been hidden, I would just not wait around until the admins can step in, I'd just jump off the roof.

• @Crocodilo-aranha holy cow is your name annoying to write lol. But why do you think it's useless?

• Because I don't live in America and I don't even have any suicidal tendency, although I do encourage it when I see some dumb questions here.

• I guess so admins can reach out to the person?

While we're discussing this, what does 'member post" and "no sexuality topic" mean?

• I think "member post" means when you talk badly about another member in your post.
      "no sexuality topic"... I don't know. Check out the FAQs

• No problem :)

• I agree with you, I think they should stay up.

• I haven't noticed that.

• I guess maybe the website doesn't want it to look like every on it is going to kill themselves. I agree with you though. We should help the people on here who are about to commit suicide rather than act like they don't exist