GAGers do you talk about "what you know" or about what you've heard/read somewhere?

Have you ever read a response on here and thought "He/she don't know what they hell they're talking about?"

Some of these opininons seem to come right out of a textbook, Now don't get me wrong somtimes that is necassary ^_^. But I wonder this "couldn't ____ have just read" that on the web somewhere?

Me peronsally, I try to talk about what I know, becuase I feel that i can give more solid advice that way. I can also tell that person how it would feel to be in this or that sitatuion because I've been there before ^_^. Could be haircutting, sports, how to fix a console/computer (Somewhat) etc y'all see where I'm going with this. But on those very same subjects, I've seen people give others way to much impratical/generic advice on here.

GAGers do you talk about

Bump

Most Helpful Guy

• Mostly about what I know or have experienced myself.
    but if it's on something I have read, I do extensive research as to offer a fair and open point ^_^

What Girls Said 11

• I look up stuff a lot. I want to be sure I'm not passing off bad advice or incorrect information. If I can reference an article or video, I'll do it because then it expands and strengthens my stance without my having to type XD

• Smart move I like it... you see me do that some of the times with MEME/GIFs though lolol

Saves me from typing this or that/ Sometimes I copy past 1 of my old answer also

• LOL! They're just classics!

• LOL not yet, but our way of thinking is ^_^

• i normally talk about what i know

• Both, but mainly what I KNOW. If I'm not sure, I make it clear that I'm not sure. If I am sure, I make clear that I am sure.

• Usually most of the advice I have is advice I hear from other people or online. But I don't say it just because an article says it, I still have to agree with it.

• 97% what I know mixed in with 3% of research, usually.

• I try to give them information on what they're asking but I don't like to use personal examples because I want to advice to be factual and not bias.

• I'm guessing you're the one who down voted me for replying to that guys question with a link. My sex life is private and I don't think I need to share my experience to give an informative reply.

• Umm I don't downvote anyone on my question ^_^ OR in general. I'm just now seeing your response for the 1st time now ^_^

@ your opinion... Hey I can't argue with you there/don't blame you. You'll still answer there question also that way ^_^

• I'll incorporate what I know and what I have learned and read.

• I refer if I don't know and when I still can't provide the answer, I open new question. I think its better to not answer then write BS.

• LOl True plus what Jwhite said " generally don't speak on what I don't know so someone can disprove what i said and make me look foolish in the process" LOL

• Exactly!

• I mostly talk about what I know or give a pointless answer :(

• I never do research on a question. Either I know, or I skip.

• I guess somewhat, some opinons can't be helpful like people being off topic for example

What Guys Said 13

• My goal is to keep that balance 50-50 in order to stay objective and truthful. If the question is out of my depth I'll either admit it or do some research. That's to my benefit as well as the QA's.

To me, being complacent with what you "know" can be positive and negative. For one, if you're specialized in a certain field (for example, a biochemist) you can answer a question on the effects of medication on our biology much better than a car enthusiast.

Where I see this mindset of what you "know" runs astray from being beneficial is that people become closed-minded to dissenting opinion, even of the dissenting opinion is factually accurate. Pride gets in the way of achieving the best possible outcome for everybody.

• "Pride gets in the way of achieving the best possible outcome for everybody."

Loved your response and true words have never been spoken

I'll do some research, then re-word it to sound more human-like if that makes sense.

• well here's a recent example of someone who i think was talking straight out of their ass, lmao
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1425630-why-do-black-people-hate-eminem

• A combination of both. If I don't know something I either don't answer or try to give the person research to find their own answer.

• I do a pretty good job of staying in my lane. But every now and then I'll answer a question in which I have little to no knowledge of the topic, and just pull some ignorant shit out of my ass.

• I usually just right "man I don't know the answer to your question"... I only made this pos for the Xper points... BUT Let get ya some help though i1127. photobucket. com/.../... f. com-add-text_12. gif then I tag a couple of GAGers lolol

then I tag a couple of GAGers lolol

• You ever just develop an opinion on a topic you have no knowledge of? Like you just form an opinion based on the information provided? That's what I do sometimes

• OH HELL YEAH ^_^ I so it all of the time LOL

Most of the time I get MHO because it, it seems

• If I ever give advice that hasn't come from actual experience then I tell the person that it's just what I think.

• Agree and some other GAGirl (Nert73) If i'm right said the same thing ^_6

• Oops shoulda read the opinions

• It's cool and a lot of people say that. When I tell them that about 5-9 other GAGers have said something similar to them. More times than not, that's how this site works anyway on most questions because they only need a linear answer LOL

• I generally don't speak on what I don't know so someone can disprove what i said and make me look foolish in the process.

• I am desperate for that always talking about stuff I read or saw somewhere but I always say it was something I read or saw. If it is an opinion I would make sure of saying it was how I felt and last but not least if it was fact or based on my expierence I would say it was.

• Thanks to the internet, mainly Google, everybody now thinks they have a PhD in everything lol

• M-H-FUCKING-O-RIGHT-HERE LOLOLOL SO FUCKING true

• Like Bro-scientists and homers? I agree.

Although SOMETIMES claims are just an exaggeration of a small but necessary piece to the puzzle. Stereotypes, basically.

• @MrScTi
      Yeah I hear ya, better than nothing

• I try to answer only questions that I know something about and when I think I can help someone.

I'm not going to write a bunch of BS that I've read somewhere and I've got no idea if it's true.

• I tend to do both to be honest but mostly talk about what I know

• I talk about my experiences and my doubts

• because some points have standard answers. if somebody asks "why do people cheat?" or "how do you make roast chicken?" what do you expect people to say?

and who says a person has to have had experienced something to offer anything of value?

• I agree and somewhere within this question, Me and another GAGer said the same thing.

• I'm sure I'm representative of the majority here when I say; I speculate and dress it up as experience, bullshit is my middle name! lol

• LOL You would have been the real MVP if you weren't anon lol

• I like a low profile, I ain't bitter but I ain't the sociable type.

• I'm the worst NINJA here because I suck at keeping a low profile. I"m also the #1 knucklehead ninja from my village (GAG) #random LOL