Why doesn't GAG have counter to show the number of active users online?

Seems like a counter would already be in effect for a site like this, but then again the system would probably get jammed with people submitting questions at the same time when there's a high volume of users logged in.

Should a tracker be included?

• Yes, I want to see who & how many people are using the site when I'm logged in
  • No, there's no need for viewing who is or how many people are online when I am

Most Helpful Guy

• Well GAG is missing many things here... its not thqt flexible as facebook...
    Like editing the question or the category in which you posted the question... You can not delete your comment or edit it... you can't tag people etc etc...
    But i think its improving day by day... let's see maybe one day gag will be as good as Facebook

• Editing and deleting will increase trolling. And you can tag people by '@'mentioning them.

• Ya i know how to tag people but... suppose i have 200 followers and i want to tag them when i post a question.. So i will have to tag each of them... instead i should have an option to tab them all... or something like that...

• This is not allowed. It'd be considered as misusing the mentions and your post would be removed.

What Guys Said 9

• That'll be interesting ain't it?
    I bet GaG already have that kind of traffic information.

• I'd love it if they did, but it may reveal some things about activity levels that the Admins may not want known

• I agree, plus they may inflate the numbers or create false users during slow parts of the day/night

• There should be but GaG would never do it because they want to attract advertisers by creating the illusion that there are huge numbers on site. There was an article floating about saying that there was a million accounts set up on site but how many are active is a different matter - I say that I would be generous if I said 3,000.

• So true, I didn't take advertising into consideration and with the amount of ads on this site, I think you're on to something ;-)

• Because most of the users are them... They'd prefer to not expose that aspect of the site.

• No body cares senorita...

• Well it already shows how long ago people were active on GAG. But there are THOUSANDS of people I can imagine using this site so that would be a big list! I guess an option like that would help people who want more answers to their questions, but it can invade their privacy possibly...

• No I don't think it would make a difference or help to see who is inactive or active.

• Because there's no chat feature and if you want to message someone, you have to be following them first (and they'll answer whenever they answer). So what point would an online counter even serve?

• why do we need something like this?

What Girls Said 5

• I'm sure the admins have the ability to see that type of information but it's probably not something they feel needs to be shared with the whole community.

• That would be pretty neat, even though they won't ever do it because of reasons.

• oo that'd b pretty interesting actually!

• I like the idea of a counter.

• I guess they don't feel it will improve the site, I agree with them, I don't see the use considering someone is always on, it would be useful only if there were times when no one was on.

• Yes and people would like to post ONLY when there are large amount of people are online leaving some cold hours every day

• @YourFutureEx guess I don't think it would be worth putting a counter in though.