Why do people have the need use pictures of OTHER people as their profile pictures, but claim it is their own?

Honestly, I shouldn't even care if people choose to feel better about themselves using 'beautiful people" as their profile picture. However, my father has once fell in to online dating, feeling he was a bit to old to find a woman. As a result, the woman he met ended up posing as another woman and did not look how he thought she would be. Yeah, looks aren't everything, but the lying and the insecurities became the main problem. In my opinion, the woman he actually met wasn't even bad looking, she just probably felt insecure.

Point that I'm getting to is that yes. You might be insecure. Good for you (well, not really). But I don't understand why you have the audacity of tricking other people with your little scheme to make yourself feel better (yeah, I'm employing my use of "you" but only figuratively).

It's one thing to use random pictures as your profile picture, such as FAMOUS celebrities (people who most people could detect), cats, food, etc. But it does not allow someone to be misled of that picture being of you.

I never really cared at first, about people making fake accounts... Because I don't encounter many in most of the social media accounts I use, since fake profiles are kind of irrelevant to most of my sites' purpose. However, I've noticed that on GaG, girls/guys who use another person's picture on their profile have the tendancy to get more opinions to their questions, followers, etc.

Selfish? Insecure? Bored? Just cause? Why?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 8

• That's why i am cautious on who i befriend on the Internet
    but i agree why do people use other peoples pictures is not good

• They put up pictures of models to the get the attention that they can't get in person.

I can't blame them either. When we see someone attractive we always talk about them to our friends. Never have I heard that oh did you see that ugly girl, yea she's so attractive.

It's wrong but it happens, it's life.

• Thank God someone pointed it out. I mean what's the big deal? Why don't people show their real face?

• Because the one in my profile picture right now is the guy who I wanted to be. I look at him in the mirror every day and say to myself "Damn I wish I was more like this person". I honestly don't know why. In any case, it's on-line, you don't really know which ones are which or whether or not the girl in this gager is an actual girl or simply crave attention.

• I don't use a pic because this isn't a dating site so it doesn't matter what I look like. I would never use a picture of someone else on a dating site, but I might choose a extremely flattering pic of myself.

• Thing is, pictures would be needed for some types of questions. And I'm not talking about those "rate me" ones. Your statement implies that those who have pictures of themselves on here may use this as a dating site.

• They got nothing better else to do, probably are really insecure about how they look so they go on the Internet posing as someone to get attention they never get in real life. It's really sad when you think about it.

• They can feel good about themselves

• Been catfished for 2 years, found out she done it because of low self esteem. still no excuse for leading me on for 2 years...

What Girls Said 12

• I've wondered that too but it's especially interesting when people post "rate me" questions with a picture of someone else. I don't even understand the point of that, it's like getting false compliments, how would that make someone feel better about themselves? Using fake pictures and claiming it's you is something I feel only insecure people do.

• THANK YOU. I commented on on of those "rate me" questions once about it being needless and unimportant... and all I received was negative feedback, such as "you're just jealous no one would want to rate you" or "that's what fat chicks say". It gets annoying because those types of questions can be asked on many other sites as opposed to this one.

• Yeah, I agree. It's pretty pointless because that's not what this site is really supposed to be about.

• Some people just like the attention I guess. They might not get much of it in real life and therefor resort to that to make themselves feel better for a while but of course that is only a illusion.

• I have absolutely no idea why people do this. Probably just for attention whoring purposes. Some people like to dream. So if they receive tons of attention by being someone else, it makes them feel good.

I also don't understand that. It would only make me feel shitty if I get tons of attention by being someone I'm not.

I've only used a random cute girl from google as an experiment on GAG. I wanted to see whether you'll actually get more creepy messages on here if you have a cute girl as your profile pic. And the result is: yes. So if someone's complaining about creepy messages, I have 1 simple tip for you: take your "cute" pic off the site.

• Honestly, I don't mind if someone thinks I'm cute/ugly on this site. It's just the fact that I don't consider this a dating/hookup site unlike many other people. At first, I didn't have a picture, but there comes a time where the type of question being asked needs a face to match with it.

• I would never use someone else's picture, but I do guard my privacy. I don't use my real name nor show my face here. In order to continue talking about very private topics and using real life experiences to help and discuss things, I want to remain that way. This stuff is potentially shared on Facebook and I for one don't want someone to come across my picture.

(Sorry, GaG, you're great and all, but the nature of this site can expose much out of a person.)

The only reason I think someone would use another picture is to bait people in to thinking that they look like that, and maybe guard their own privacy at the same time.

• Yeah, you see. I don't use my facebook anymore.. But I do use Vine and Youtube, in which showing my face is practiced. But I don't really care in regards to my reputation, since all of my opinions/questions are what I typically discuss upon in real life, based on them regarding general topics.

• Some of them just like the attention. Even if the photo isn't them, they don't care about the false compliments as long as they're getting attention.

• Because they're weirdies.

• They hide behind a fake facade because they are afraid people won't like who they really are. Or they are just psychotic.

• @worldispathetic and I had a lovely chat over this. You should ask her. Her answer last time I ask was lame but I am sure she got a good reason for using a pretty girl's picture this time!

• Yeah lol, but a lot of people aren't smart enough to use "google image search" nowadays :P

• I am. Thats how I found out she was using a fake picture! Isn't that awesome!

• Yup! What's even more awesome is when they do the same thing after they're caught!

• It's so stupid and pointless.

• Aka catfish. They do it for multiple reasons. Mostly low self esteem.

• Some people on catfish do it because they see it as a game... or to get more notoriety on what they try to advertise.

• My current job doesn't allow me to.

• Simple... they be Catfish.