If you "thumbs down" an opinion in order to disagree with it, do you comment you rationale within the original opinion?

It's pointless to disagree with my opinion without stating why you disagree with it. It impedes the possibility of a discussion that may help someone see their own opinion in a "whole new light" by taking someone else's defense into consideration. I feel that if one would have the need to ask quesitons on this site, they should be open to all opinions. If you're the type who is prideful and strong-willed with all of your own opinions, and only post questions to put other people's opinions down... than you're going no where in life. Because there are many of those types of people on here. And I'm saying that it's even worse when there is no justification or reasoning to your opinion as well.

AH. I hate grammar errors.

I meant "... comment your rationale..."

Most Helpful Guy

• I only down thumb if the person is being a blatant ahole. You know the type of comments where there is no discussion they are just being a bigot. If I disagree with something I won't down vote. I'll just ask them why they think their way and explain my logic. I enjoy debates as long as they don't turn hostile.

• Yeah, I've never "thumbs-downed" an opinion before.. but I have thumbs-downed an irrelevant a-hole comment that I barely even consider an opinion.

What Guys Said 4

• Some opinions just can't be changed. Also I can't always be bothered to argue. If I had to argue against all opinions I don't agree with, then the thumbs buttons essentially serve no purpose. They are meaningles either way until they have accumulated a larger number of clicks.

• most of the times i do basically

• Usually voice my opinion anyway.

• No, I don't but, I think that you should be forced to comment why you're upping or downing

What Girls Said 2

• Most of the time, I just want to leave an opinion on a question, and then move on. On some topics, I already know that there would be many who would disagree with me. I'd prefer them to just downvote me, and move on to stating their own opinions, instead of commenting and telling me "you're WRONG!!" or "what a stupid comment". Those would just make me mad.

I don't feel the need to defend my opinion to anyone. So if people disagree, let them disagree. Let them downvote me, but please don't pester me with the constant notifications and a "discussion" that would possibly lead to nowhere, especially since both sides have strong beliefs on different things. This usually happens on controversial topics, which I now avoid like the plague.

Let's just agree to disagree. I think that's the attitude I think should be on GAG.

• its really not that serious. I think a lot of people who leave comments disagreeing under your answer are just trying to start an argument. my opinion is my opinion and most of the time it won't be changed