Creeping: Messaging Under 18s?

There has been a few questions about creepers messaging young girls of late. We advise them to block and set profile to private meaning only followers can PM. I have been on other sites that have an automatic block on messaging under 18s unless you are a follower.
Would you be in favour of GaG introducing this automatic block or not?

Just to clarify not a total block only a safeguard saying only followers can pm under 18s

Most Helpful Girl

• I would be against. Even though I get so many grown men messaging me to sext or have video sex I have had good conversations with people and wouldn't want that compromised. I've saved a life or 2 from suicide on here, and have made a couple friends and I feel like if there was an automatic block I would have been deprived of the good conversations. If I get creepy messaged I give them a piece of my mind and move on.

• Not a total block just a safeguard where only people who follow you can pm you.

• I actually saw it on another site and thought it was a good idea as an extra layer of protection in essence putting your profile to private.

• Thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Guy

• Any extra limitation to users under a certain age, will either 1) drive them away, ruining the future base of this site's existence, or 2) make users lie about their age

Let's be real; all the changes to GaG over the past two years (i've been here for five), are based around making this site feel more like a social media site, enticing the teen demographic.

Cmon... the GaG admins lowered the minimum sign in to age THIRTEEN instead of sixteen. That's all u need to know.

----

I know u want to protect the teens here, but there are creep-ass, dangerous strangers all over the real world. Plus schools and these teens' elders are doing a better job teaching them about internet safety.

This website is a business at its core, and alienating the foundation of your site's future is a stupid move (although you mean well).

What Girls Said 7

• I think as long as you're informed, creeper messages aren't much of a deal.
    Random old guy asks to see picture of you = Delete and move on.
    A person who doesn't have the sense to do that probably shouldn't have access to the internet in the first place.

• I would like to be able to set it on my own. I get lots of creepers but I also get people who genuinely just want to talk.

• No let them set it whatever way they want to.

• but if you get the kids to do that how will i kidnap them?

• Age of consent is 16 where i live so who cares its all about your attitude

• I think its a good idea

• I'm all for it.

What Guys Said 4

• Thanks for this discussion.. As you said there is the option to block messages, either totally by setting your profile private or blocking messages from users you do not follow... An auto block would be too much of a limitation.

• nice idea... but wot if i want 2 send a NON-CREEPY message 2 her, if in case she doesn't want me as a follower?

• Communicate through open q+a forum then request to follow them - If it is all above board they will accept and if they have issues with you they will probably will block you anyway.

• Why do people even do this shit. What do you expect to happen?

• I am a strong supporter of close in age relationships and close in age exemption laws. For a guy your age to message teens, yeah I would be cringing.
    But for a guy only a mere few years apart I don't see why everyone makes such a fuss.