Your experience on GAG?

I feel like I've received some pretty mean/hurtful "advice" but I've also had some diamonds in the rough. What has been your overall experience in dealing with other posters on GAG?

Most Helpful Guy

• A lot of these people are douche bags but a handful are alright I guess

What Guys Said 11

• There are a lot of people here who do not have your best interest in mind. Rather than answering to improve and help the Asker, they answer with whatever seems amusing to them, or even outright hurtfully. Lurking (going through questions, commenting on ppl's answers, etc..) is OK and Lurking & Lurkers is something that adds a certain spice to GAG, but there are some lurkers who do this just to be confrontational. They temper it with just enough opinion and restraint to be seen as unreportable posts, but are otherwise not really contributing to the thread.

Some advice is like, "That boyfriend is a bad influence on you, leave him!" when the Asker intends to save the relationship. Even when its true, it's hurtful for them to say it so bluntly. A little couching of such opinions actually goes a long way.

GAG could grant more xper for MH, but so far it seems usage frequency is the best xper generator, which kind of rewards spamming stupid answers and stupid questions, and the people with real problems are likely to get frustrated. Add in the anonymity of the internet, and the experience could be labeled outright abysmal.

Fortunately, we have tools to combat these problems, but the most critical is on the answerer end of things. We can follow users we DO like (and refine our feeds to see just their questions) and over time build up a content feed that focuses on the subset of GAG we want to be apart of.

For the Asker its not always so nice, because all they get are blocked users and category topic. Using the block feature will help to some extent, but unless you have a lot of good answerers following you then you'll be lucky to get a single opinion that's remotely useful. Figuring out a good (website/programming) solution to this problem could go a long way to making the site better, I just can't think of such a feature right now.

And to actually answer your question, my experience is kind of "hit and miss" I think. That's the best way to describe it.

• I disagree. I think it's important to tell the whole truth, even if it's hard. I feel the same way about my real life.

And for the record, I usually only ifnore the asker's intentions when they're in some kind if danger (ie health, abuse, etc).

• Those are the diamonds in the rough she is referring to.
      @9mfeo

• There's plenty of people here who's only going to troll you while there are others that genuinely wants to help you..

• decent lol, this is the internet, expect trolls and people to call you insulting names when arguing with you instead of using logic and facts.

Better yet there was some guy saying "I'm using FACTS" and I was like "and what facts were those?"

• Its been real good for me pretty much I like it here

• Cool site but too many people on here lay down so called "facts" and are nothing but personal opinions. Personal opinions and facts should not be mixed together. I've also came across some posts where they're seeking medical help but obviously this is not the place to be doing such thing. Overall the stupidest and most annoying are...
    "He smiled, does he like me" "He/she touched my shoulder, does he like me"? "He let me use his *insert item here*, does he have a crush on me?" I doubt any of these people on here are psychics so how should we know? If they themselves that are there and don't know I doubt any of us will.

• Too many people disagreeing with my Opinions
    coming on my Opinion and some were rude, nasty
    yes i took action against them , no one should act
    that way.. I was rating some girls picture and made
    a mature , polite remark with all good intentions i got
    called something terrible.

• " I was rating some girls picture and made
      called something terrible."

Hahah I wonder what it was? Assuming this "girl" was indeed underage Umm, perhaps something along the lines of pedophilia? lol

• @RichardTX Congratulations for being blocked hater

• Today is my first day and I like it so far... but then again I always liked giving people paragraphs of advice.

• I enjoy making jokes and genuinely trying to help people with legit issues. So for me it's been good.

• The place should probably be shut down. It's a contagious mental disease that harms the world.

• Its been so far good for me ^_^

• Made a lot of friends on here and off gag as well, its fun

What Girls Said 9

• I have my moments of being nice and helpful... and then I have my moments of being a total and complete asshole... today I am an asshole.

• Overall, it's been pretty good. I'm brutally honest though, so if I think you're being dumb, I'll tell you so.

• I get pretty okay advice. The very first gager to ever help me 9 months ago is now my best friend and kinda a love interest. We started out as friends, and a few months ago started sexting and flirting. Its fun even though we don't have a chance together in the real world xD
    Yeah that basically sums up my best gag experience

• I don't deal with them. I block them before it even happens.

• they're pretty harsh sometimes. especially the guys. plus the questions sometimes are a little weird and teens just being paranoid about a seminormal situation

• There are a lot of rude guys here on GaG just cause they hit on you n you ignore them

• A lot of interesting, diverse points of views that helped me put things into perspective

• There's rude, weird and some nice people.

• Got helped and been able to help. though some questions make me laugh lol