A poll on polling... how would you interpret this?

I often see poll questions that are along the lines of "do most guys like..." or "do all girls want..." and then the poll options are "yes" and "no". My question is how do you expect answer that? Should I click "yes" if I like whatever it is, or should I click "yes" if (and only if) I think most guys like whatever it is? How do you answer such polls and how do you expect people to answer them?

• I vote "yes" if the criteria apply to me.
  • I vote "yes" if I think the criteria apply in general to the relevant group (e. g. to most/all guys/girls)
  • I vote "yes" if it applies to me or I think it applies in general.
  • I vote inconsistently
  • I don't vote / See answers
To clarify, suppose there was a poll question: "Do most guys wash their hair with beer?"

Would you vote "yes" simply because you happen to wash your hair with beer, or would you only vote "yes" if you thought most guys washed their hair with beer?

For those voting C, you're making those poll results of limited use, even if everyone voted with same mindset.
If you ask such a poll question how do you expect people to answer it?

If people stuck with A then the poll asker would see what proportion of people like/want/prefer whatever it is, on the other hand if people stuck to B the poll asker would get an idea of how sure people are that it applies to all or to most girls/guys. However voting C means the poll asker can do neither of those two things.

Most Helpful Girl

• I chose C. If for example it is asking if girls wash their hair with beer than I vote yes if that is what I do. If it asked if most guys do then I vote based on what my guy friends, brother, and other men in my life have done or told me.

• Okay that does actually make sense if you do it like that depending on whether or not you're part of the group. But what you're doing is A if it's about girls and B if it's about guys (for instance). That is sensible I guess, but for people who do both for something concerning them I think it's undermining the poll.

• I agree that's why I usually don't answer polls unless I can say with 100% honesty that I fit that category or all the men I know fit that category

• Yeah I guess the question askers really ought to just be more clear with how they expect people to vote.

What Girls Said 2

• I won't vote yes unless the whole question/poll is yes if there's the in between area it's either no or I don't vote.

• I vote yes if it applies to me or in general.

• If people stuck with A then the poll asker would see what proportion of people like/want/prefer whatever it is, on the other hand if people stuck to B the poll asker would get an idea of how sure people are that it applies to all or to most girls/guys. However voting C means the poll asker can do neither of those two things. I guess it's best to just ask more clearly...

What Guys Said 2

• A career in Statistical Analysis and Human Behaviour studies awaits.

• I have no idea what I'm reading. My brain switched to Vietnamese.

Giúp tôi thần

• You don't understand the question?