I often see poll questions that are along the lines of "do most guys like..." or "do all girls want..." and then the poll options are "yes" and "no". My question is how do you expect answer that? Should I click "yes" if I like whatever it is, or should I click "yes" if (and only if) I think most guys like whatever it is? How do you answer such polls and how do you expect people to answer them?
- I vote "yes" if the criteria apply to me.Vote A
- I vote "yes" if I think the criteria apply in general to the relevant group (e. g. to most/all guys/girls)Vote B
- I vote "yes" if it applies to me or I think it applies in general.Vote C
- I vote inconsistentlyVote D
- I don't vote / See answersVote E
Would you vote "yes" simply because you happen to wash your hair with beer, or would you only vote "yes" if you thought most guys washed their hair with beer?
For those voting C, you're making those poll results of limited use, even if everyone voted with same mindset.
If people stuck with A then the poll asker would see what proportion of people like/want/prefer whatever it is, on the other hand if people stuck to B the poll asker would get an idea of how sure people are that it applies to all or to most girls/guys. However voting C means the poll asker can do neither of those two things.