Do you think we should have the option "no comments wanted" on our opinions?

Just like when you write a myTake. There is an option for "no opinions wanted", so no one can leave an opinion.

Sometimes when I'm here I just want to leave my opinion, and don't want a discussion based on my opinion. Especially if the QA constantly comments on my opinion just because he/she can't accept my honest opinion. Then it's just annoying. I don't want to have to block everyone so I don't constantly keep getting notifications, but the constant pointless back and forth is just really tiring.

Do you think GAG should add an option for "no comments wanted" when we leave an opinion on a question?

Most Helpful Guy

• You should be responsible for your words. If you can't reply them, it automatically means that you accepted that you were wrong.
    And if you accept that in front of them then they'll get silent.

Some users simply don't reply to their opinions and mark their notifications as read. I prefer a disavow option for opinions too.

Furthermore, Asker might be interested in further discussions too to clarify it.

But that "no comments wanted" thing will only entertain trolls, xper hunters and weak people.

What Guys Said 14

• I don't know. Isn't ignoring it the same thing?

• I can't ignore it if someone says "LOL this is bullshit" or "I disagree, because (insert 50 page text)". Well it's MY opinion and if people disagree they should just downvote me and move the fuck on.

I also can't ignore it if someone disrespects my opinion.

• So if I start insulting you right now, you'd keep coming back and fighting? That just seems silly. I'd ignore it.

But I understand what you're saying, I guess.

• I just don't want to leave an impression that I left the fight with my tail between my legs.

And hell, even if I ignore it, some QA would just comment again and again, until I eventually have to block them. My block list is getting full...

• It would be nice to be able to disavow opinions.

Also annoying are the posters who update their own questions for weeks later, making me wish i'd never given an opinion.

• I'm sorry :,(

• that would be another good option, yes.

• But thankfully, on the new gag, you don't receive notifications when the QA updates their questions.

• Based on your other comments, I feel similar with regards to that impression left behind when you don't back up your opinion. It's knowingly silly to feel like the last person to talk is in the right, but it's still annoying. That's the thing though, arguments online are such a huge waste of time, nobody is impressed by anyone's ability to go back and forth. I'd go so far as to say it's more of a reputation and ego thing than anything else.

The QA constantly not accepting opinions is a problem that will never go away. So while I would really love this idea, I doubt it's implemented just because I assume the site encourages discussion. What GaG should do, amongst many other things, is to hide heavily downvoted opinions.

• Not really, no. This isn't meant to be a blog site, the whole purpose of it is to get feedback from others.

• Yeah but the complication than is: what if there's a simple misunderstanding? Now you post a comment and say "sorry, I should have expressed myself differently, what I wanted to say was...".
    Plus: the GAG policy says they stimulate healthy discussions. The problem is, that some users only want to hear one type of opinion.
    I've had a discussion once regarding fossil fuels. It was the entire GAG community against 1 guy who denied that global warming existed. So frustrating.

• Considering this site is girlsASKguys the purpose would be for you to ask questions for the purpose of getting answers. If you want to just spew your ideas you are probably at the wrong site, and should look at finding a site that is geared towards rants and opinions.

• people ask questions, what do you think about this or that. I give my opinions. Some askers can't accept the opinion that I give them. That's where I have a problem. I don't mind it if the asker asks for further explanation as to why I think that way. But getting mad at me because I didn't say what they wanted to hear... now that's annoying.

• Oh, well yeah when someone asks a question and then gets ignorant to the respondent because they don't like the answer, that's different. I thought you meant before the question phase, so just posting an opinion in the question section without solicitation.

• Yes Amen i agree and support you 100 % with this
    they should be able to also only allow communication
    on Opinions restricted to the Asker and the person leaving
    the Opinion..

• another good point.
      Some people just like to butt in to other people's arguments and being rude and disrespectful.

• I just don't want to waste my time by arguing with them in the first place.
      And the admins take sometimes a day before they remove said comment. Sometimes they even don't.

• Yes so true i agree the admin need to take more control than what they do
      if he can't make stricter rules than sell the website to people who can

• Thats a good idea

• Nope because there is also the same feature like that on YouTube and trolls use that to post derogatory remarks and set it so that no one can reply to it..

• Not bad, but what if there was a misunderstanding that needs to be explained for the opinion owner?

• That's why the QA should always state their questions clearly and well-structured. So the possibility of misunderstandings are smaller.

• Good idea in theory... but that would just enforce trolling.

• I don't really like it.

If you don't want comments, then just ignore them. If people keep blowing up your notifications, ask them to stop. If that fails, block their sorry butt then.

• Oh I feel just the opposite. I hate anonymous down votes with no reason given.

• yeah I know another user who thinks the way you do.

Which is why I think it should be an OPTION to disable comments. You can have them if you want, but you can also disable them if you don't want any.

• :( I hope you are not thinking about me like "I wish I could shut this guy up. What a moron !!!" :(

• lol not at all.

And if the question or QA is so mind-numbingly dumb anyway, then I'll say whatever it is I think of her. Without regard of what other people would think of me.

• yeah, i actually would be in favour of it

What Girls Said 5

• You can make the choice to not have that conversation. You can post your opinion then not comment back if someone posts on your opinion. I don't think its necessary to have that option

• Well, you can, but you choose not to. Its okay to want to defend yourself and your opinion but if it is upsetting you, then you don't have to. You are making that choice.
      Sorry it bothers you so much :-/

• That's what I said!

• You don't have to answer, but I like to tell someone why I don't agree and if they don't want to reply they don't have to, I don't think it's a necessary feature. Notifications are so easy to ignore and so easy to get rid of.

• YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    i would love that. especially when i can't block the anon QA and he just goes ON AND ON AND ONNNNNNNNNNN

• But blocking is so much fun!

• I don't see the point of it really. Why not just post a My Take if you don't want opinions?