When did this become a dating website? Does it annoy anyone else?

I get a lot of messages on here from men asking me inappropiate questions or asking me or I'm single or telling me they think we should get together. I counted it up. 59 people.

Now, I've been on this website for a long time, and I remember when it was about advice. I rarely got messages from people asking me to be their betrothed, or whatever. I can't be the only person on here who gets these sort of messages.

So really, when did this become a dating website? And why? How do you deal with these people? I get annoyed because I want to give people quality advice, not talk about whether "you suck dick like a vacuum" or whatever.

• Yes it annoys me
  • No I'm fine with it
  • Doesn't make a difference to me
  • Other; please explain

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes it bothers me. I don't like men (sometimes a lot older) from around the world asking if I'm single and getting genuinely sad when I tell them I'm not interested in them. I want people to appreciate my contribution and posts, not try to date me! If I want to date, I will use a dating site but until then, leave me alone!

I recommend you ignore them, be blunt and tell them how it is or just block them if they're a nuisance. This makes me want to write a myTake about it, telling people not to treat it like a dating site!

• Don't worry, I do ignore them or tell them to leave me alone, but I was just wondering if anyone else gets the same treatment and stuff. Sounds like other people get borderline harrassed!
      Thing is, I've done as users suggested and restricted who can message me but what upsets me is that I do like random people messaging me for advice - say they've read a response and come and asked me to help them, I feel quite special. But now I won't be able to do that because of others ruining it for everyone.

• Same thing happens too me, but I have also have had some genuinely nice convos with guys around my age too, so I guess it just depends on the person... but I have gotten some freaky ones that are just like... not in a million years, but I try to be polite about it and if it gets excessive or I find it too creepy I block

• Thanks for MHO!

What Guys Said 23

• I've been here a long time, and it seems to be the more popular this site becomes, the more thirsty guys there are.

Also this site has become more internationally known outside of the USA... and maybe those other cultures are so sexually repressed that guys of those cultures use sites like GaG to release that built up sexual energy.

• The main people I get is us and Indian. I'm uk. So I'm not sure that works!! I get the odd Chinese one too, but it's mostly the larger nations

• I heard about a guy who got a message like that but this is pretty much exclusive to GAG girls

Usually I get the automated message telling me that my comment has been removed, I wrote a comment in German and it got removed for grammar and I was just like

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't spent that much time learning German but I didn't think it was that bad

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

A while back I did have some random girl ask for my e-mail address. I almost fell for it. . . almost but it takes more than a nice/random message to fool DooMguy

• Honestly, you have comments removed for grammar? I mean, I admit I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, but I just comment the correction and I don't report it. It's an advice site, not an exam situation...

• Hey. . . you know that's a good point, I never thought about it like that

I give you MHQA (it's my new award)

• Haha thanks. But yeah unless the grammar is the point where it's offensive, then I leave it alone. There are many people here who's first language is not English , so...

• I'd be fine with this being a dating website, but how the heck do you find someone near by? I don't want to try "dating" someone 700 miles away.

• I think that thus is mainly a girl problem, as guys don't get these messages. There are stupid males everywhere that just flirt with any girl that is a real person. I have never had a girl do that to me, so I'm guessing hat the girls on this site are fairly normal. Also, i do not message girls on thus site unless they have become my friend. But even so

I'd we do become friends there is no flirting... So just block the guys that do that stuff

• C'mon? You have had 59 guys ask if you were single or wanted to get together? I just can't believe that. I can't imagine every saying such things to some total stranger on a website like this. ?

• Read again. I didn't say they all wanted to be my boyfriend. I said inappropriate comments, etc etc.

• Yes, I've gotten a few, where I'll get an e-mail with a photo attached (never anyone I remotely attractive, NOT that is would make a difference), and a message that has a quote of one of my replies, regarding something I prefer in a woman, and then pointing out that that describes her, and to please contact her for such and such. I am always taken a back when I see these things, thinking, can this be for real?

• Wow that is... quite extremely thought out...

• Voted D. Srsly who cares if other people use it like that? As long as it doesn't effect you negatively then what's the problem? You do you, @QA. Don't waste ur time worrying about other peoples lives, it may not seem like it, but it IS just that simple... (:

• Oh my goodness, that's sad. I've heard it from other girls as well. I get like one weird message every 2 to 3 months or so. All other messages are from fellow members I appreciate. Like you :D

• i mean why would you want to stop people finding a partner or a date or whatever... but i hate it when people try to use this as a sexting site.

• I'm not stopping anyone but I joined this site for a different reason. If I wanted to online date, I would have joined a dating website.

• I mean it's not like you can't use the site for it's original purpose anymore. But you're right it slightly annoys me too.

• Hahaha you are at the point where compliments bounce off you and it just becomes something annoying, personally I would like it but unfortunately no one likes an ocean:(

• No. The opposite. I don't find myself attractive, I am flattered by compliments. However. I don't think "do you do anal" is a compliment.

• Well no I get other messages as well, like "your beautiful" which If I reply to become filth. Or I get "be my girlfriend" with no warning.
      I have some examples which if recorded from a girl you wouldn't like either!

• Well guys are just testing themselves on you. As you know guys are always the ones to initiate things so they practice or are just bored. I see nothing wrong

• lots of horny old men on here, you should just change your profile picture and you won't be bothered probably

• Wish I was asked inappropriate questions by women.
    -.-

• *Says inappropriate things*

• Well, I don't feel it becomes a dating site and I never or almost never heard anyone complaining the same problem.

• Voted C

I don't take this site that seriously, just come here when I really don't have anything to do. ..
    and i don't make any difference to me.

Yeah you being a girl may annoy you.

• Being a girl may annoy me? Hasn't annoyed me so far in my life.

• @asker

You didn't get what i wrote.
      it was like guys don't have to face such problems.

I am not those kind of person who easily get offended by any unknown online pervs.

U seriously never thought this site could be creepy then welcome to real world, it's far away from being desirable and perfect.

And i don't think we can change someone's life through GAG, even i talk nicely to someone sometimes when i genuinely feel someone is hurt but except that it's just reading comments and doing funny things here.

• @lesbobutch818

Hahaha i see many people are annoyed here on...

The only thing I can do for you is to try not to annoy you, although I am not too sure. Lol

change that name man its quite difficult to tag u and write your name.

• i'll admit I troll, but i don't take that far... Many humans just don't know how to think. They have no manners and they don't know from their wrongs from their rights.

• Us guys are just horny please forgive us.

• I think it's only beautiful girls curse.
    Nova days you can use everything for dating, cause we all too much stuck to technologies. And there you can find people who are curious about same things.

• I think with some of these men even the unattractive ones are victims.

• 59 people in Girls ask guys? wow girl!
    But I can't answer because not a single ladies ever asked me before.

• Do men not get these messages then? Is it just the girls?

• No, I never got such message from any ladies here, that is why I'm surprise.
      I am not sure about other men though.

Kinda sucks that most of the advice here is asking you to change your profile picture.

• My favourite is from Anon. My face is apparently so offensive I need to change it. And yet he's such a stunning charmer.

• Its not a dating but the people on here have made it one, but It doesn't bother me

• i think you are a hypocritic fuck. I think some people find it nice to hear some good comments about themselves. And its good if opposite sex likes them. Definitely weirdos would hate that. Oh yeah you do know a lot about " quality advice", when you tell a girl how to suck a dick ;). oh yes you are good with counting, why don't you count how many dicks you have blown, I bet it must be just over a million ;)

• I think you are an idiot.
      Firstly questions like "do you do anal" aren't compliments.
      Secondly, you open your mouth.
      Thirdly, no. 3. Any more personal questions or judgments you would like to throw at me? Few more insults? Or would you like to keep your mouth shut, you horny, ignorant old opinuated asshole? Oh sorry, anon, I'm just assuming. Like you.

• oh you didn't read my comment babe, what was your count again , oh just over a million. you are already perfect girl, I hope. I am sorry you are the expert, so you can give some "quality advice" to some naive girls who want to read it. I have nothing to offer in this case ;)

• Thing is when I have a comment like "your beautiful" I will reply with a thank you. If I don't it's because I have precious bad experience with that person or I simply forgot.
      You can't deny the men on here are weirdos.

• those 59 people were all me on my different accounts :)

• Your not that hot tbh

• Thanks. But this wasn't a "rate me!" question. I think I'm ugly, so thanks for reminding me.

• Zoot is trying to get laid

• What on earth is wrong with you?

What Girls Said 18

• My profile pic will remain as it is. I'm sick of people judging me whenever I show my face online. I've received a few rude emails from random members calling me an attention whore. Wtf.

But it's even worse when you have random creepers making sexual comments after the first few messages. Like, "Hey baby, you're face would look even cuter if we were banging." Come on, are people that desperate? Light flirting is ok, but I'd rather have a meaningful conversation than read horny comments from morons around the world.

• When your a woman online your a target for men to want try get with you. This website should only be about advice. And a lot of men esspically online and dating sites get bold becuase all do send messages and don't have see face to to face. So many of these men would never have confidence to ask woman out in person.

It hard be woman online. Even I have gotten messages, and I'm a lesbain with no picture.

• Really? With a username like that and no photo? Is it men or women who contact you, out of interest? And what sort of messages?

• I have had 3 women contact me. It was on a polite level but they wanted to date me. And I had 1 man message me becuase I answered a sexual question and then he got creepy.

• It's happened to me too, and it's just bizarre. I like talking about dating, giving and receiving advice about relationships, but a random message from someone I've never spoken to is so strange. I mean, would you really expect me to commit to a relationship with a guy I don't even know? Sorry, no thanks.

• It kinda does bother me. I had someone once ask can I date him until he finds a girlfriend.. I dont think guys get messages like this. Theirs mostly perverted guys sending them.

• To a 14 year old? That is wrong. I mean it bugs me and I'm 22, but as a teen you should have the right to be left alone by creepy strangers.

• Well the dude was also 14 or 15. But, still.

• I get inappropriate messages from older men who want to get off to me. Even when I say I am taken, they don't back off. It's very annoying, but what can you do?

• Woah, 59 people is a looot. I'm not too bothered, I've only gotten a few messages and nothing too crazy.

• It annoys me way too much!

• I have been on this site since 2011 and from what I recall it becomes a dating site after 2 years or more. Now, it's worst especially when it is well known by the people around the world. I have been checked out few times by guys from different countries. Yes it's annoying.

• I don't ever think it was serious but I suspect a lot of it is just trolling you for a reaction.

• Because some guys are desperate freaks whose only change on actual female interaction is harassing girls on sites like these, and yes it annoys me.

• You should make your profile private or allow messages only from people I follow. That will limit the number of people messaging you for non-sense reasons.

• Just do what I do, have a cat for a profile pic lol. But honestly, that's why I avoid putting up personal pics in websites like these. It's already annoying enough on facebook.

• I may have to. I used to have random pictures as my profile picture, but I kind of like having my own picture on here - I've been here for such a long time it feels like my account, my opinion. But the messages really annoy me...

• Dude it's to be expected lol but yeah it's annoying as fuck

• I don't get those messages. If it bothers you, you could restrict who messages you.

• How? I'm set to private so that people couldn't see my country or anything like that, but you can restrict who messages you?

• You can. There's an option to allow only messages from users you follow.

• My block list is a mile long from that.

• Just go private, we people are not on this site to date (By we I mean all the genuine ones.)

• Honestly I ignore those 😂😂😂😂 I am not on this to date people I am here to ask questions

• Yeah, the thirst is real.