I get the impression a big percentage of new Gag members are choosing a private profile. Do you notice the same thing?

It means we have NO idea about the person--their background, ethnicity, relationship history, or life experiences.. aside from what they might say in a question, and that's usually not too much.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 6

• To be fair, it's the internet so you can never truly be sure. But i think people are a lot more careful and really want to come on here for advice or to share their experiences as opposed to like a dating site, so they prefer to keep private so as to not get random messages.

• No one can give them solid advice if we know nothing about them.. They may as well be anonymous if they have a private profile.,

• It's their choice and you can't never be sure if what they're saying it's true.
    By the way, I don't think it's important to know a person's ethnicity, why this should matter

I guess their thoughts and questions are way more important than that. And they also can reveal more about them.

• I don't see what difference does it make.
    Most people don't really complete their profiles and I don't really check them anyway.

Relationship history and life experiences... Lol.

• Wouldn't it be great if they DID complete them? I think it should be required when you sign up.

• We can't give good advice without knowing something about the person asking. Think a professional counselor tries to tell a patient what to do without asking enough questions to determine what kind of person he or she is dealing with?

• Hopefully they will leave enough information in the question itself! Which rarely happens, but usually the profile doesn't help much either...
      Still, I guess it's very nice of you to try and help them as much as you can by reading the profile and everything =)

• So? Why does it matter?

• Explained in the question! But while we are at it, do you notice the same thing? Answer the #$#$#$ question already instead of wising off about 'what does it matter?'

• You are hiding the ball, refusing to answer the question. So why even say ANYTHING? Darn right it annoys me.

• Oh I am so sorry! How rude of me to want some extra information in order to answer your pointless question.

I have no idea about your background but why does it matter? (apart from the weird messages you kept sending me despite my obvious lack of interest, now that's annoying! PM'ing someone about your weird experiences despite me not asking you to)

• They are not here to mingle. Just here for an answer.

• If they want good advice, we need to know SOMETHING about them!!! Defeats the purpose of an advice site.

• We shouldn't have to.. we ought to know a little something. No professional counselor would try to give an opinion about someone without knowing anything about them!

• Dont worry they won't nuke you for real.

• Everyone here is a stranger to me so I don't care if they go anonymous or have a private profile. I'm not here to meet people, I'm here out of curiosity and to answer some random questions.

• WE can't give meaningful advice if we know nothing about the person asking... that's the issue

• Bien, on tombe d'acord

• You lost me?

What Guys Said 7

• I had to make mine private I have real troll on me that wants to get at me from another web site I was a mod on. I kept kicking him out because he would put up nude dirty pics of people and write peoples work in real life and try to get them in trouble plus on some he would dig up nudes and try to send then to there church. I have been dealing with this hater for a year now.

• I've got nothing to hide and don't really give a shit what people think about me, so I have no reason to put it at private, I would imagine the newer members are probably younger or have issues with trolls hence why they put it as private while others even older members simply like their privacy.

• OOOOOHHHH YOU SAID A BADWORD!!!

• @XNicholeMariex3 lol my grandfather was an actual navy sailor lol and yes I know you cuss a lot, but that's who you are lol.

• No it wasn't a bad word. when he said private he meant hidden. He wasn't talking about his privates.

JK

• I never pay attention. Too many anon people as it is.

• I think there was a lot of questions about creepers and the big flare up about Virgin Hunter that didn't help in last month - All the advice was go private and tick only accept messages from people I know box.

• It doesn't matter to me.. they can protect their profile if they want to and also for perverts that randomly message or comments on them inappropriately..

• You can easily protect against messages from unknown people on Gag, there's no need to go private.

• Just like the private REvenge above, this seems to have hit a nerve with you. I didn't ASK you if you thought it matters, I asked if you noticed that a really big percentage of new users go private.

WHY don't you answer the @@## question instead of mouthing off about whether it matters?

We all three KNOW It matters, so you and REvenge are just wasting our time. Shows you have a guilty conscience, imao.

• It didn't hit a nerve and yes I have a conscious, but yours must be dead already. I was simply answering why people might put their account as private. In any case, it is increasing in a way for those reasons that I have provided.. see it's all related...

• in a few years i would rather not have a girl stalk me and stumble upon a web account on this website

• I don't, I'll barely use anon. If at all, I might have used it... Once? Maybe twice?