Do you feel opinions in GAG represent real life?

Or this place is just a magnet for toxic people to come together and spew negativity and can't change?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think the negativity here or any part of the internet is an accurate representation of what usually happens in reality. Sometimes people have a really shitty day and they just want to vent somewhere and they feel safe venting here because no actual repercussions will happen because of it. But that goes for the positives as well. We talk about what we think of each other here but that's what we THINK not what we visibly show other people in reality.

What Guys Said 12

• Sort of. People here seem to genuinely want to help. Or at least, most of them do. But with any community, especially a community with a very large user base that is under 20, you are going to have some maturity issues, and some people are going to have a hard time keeping it constructive. Not saying all people under 20 are immature, or that only the under 20 crowd is guilty of being immature... just that with the demographics here, there are going to be a lot of immature people. And that shows in some of the answers and opinions. The other thing that shows is that a lot of the people providing the opinions, don't actually know. They are clearly very inexperienced, and are providing advice based on supposition, not practical experience. So a lot of things get skewed a bit because of that. But as a whole, the people here are trying to help, and it is a reasonable representation of real life... albeit a real life full of people having relationship problems (which will also skew a lot of the advice...)

• GaG represents the repressed inner thoughts people have unhindered by "social expectations".

People seem to mistaken not hearing something as it not existing.

• Are you a repressed being?

• I have an honesty setting set to 75% and a discretion setting for most of the time.
      They come off when I think the other person can take it.

• Yes, I think on the whole people are telling us real life situations. It's a lot less negative than, say, feminist conclaves.

• I don't think they're particularly more angry or toxic that the general population. As a group GaGers are somewhat high sex drive though imho, and probably smarter than average.

• Yes and no.

Yes, because society these days is very PC and esoteric. And many opinions are such.

No, because people say shit like "looks don't matter" or "people dig confidence" or "I don't mind if a person is shy, it's cute!" when in reality most with a brain know they're not true.

I think most people here tell the truth, but then it doesn't matter if they don't, they're strangers. Even still, things have to be taken with a pinch of salt, people often say things they won't or don't in real life out of fear of reprisal, mockery or what have you. So if a girl says she doesn't mind shy guys, she may be telling the truth, but then her innermost thoughts she won't tell her friends or school or uni buddies. People are complex, I guess.

• Not real life but also not the toxic stew you depict either.

• Are you kidding? Everyone is super nice here. If you think people are toxic, play some online video games like counter strike, league of legends or dota. Those people are toxic.

• Really nice? you sure about that? :)

• Yes, compared to other online communities, very much so.

• Well the people on here are part of real life, so in some way they represent it. Thing is, we live in a nuanced world where people like to hide how they're really thinking... so in some respects, gag can be more real than the real world

• Yes all these hidden desires... unveiled. Black women lusting after white men...

• A lot of them do want white men, but will only use sites like gag to express that

• I'd say it's in between. You'll get a lot of people who can't interact with normal people well, and so they come here with their past hurtful experiences and they can be pretty messed up because of it.

• I'm confused.

Yes?

• 90% of the questions are real situations in real life

• i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-add-text_15.gif HAHA hell naw since most of the stuff that i see on here would never work in real life because the advice is so BORING and or GENERIC -_-.

• like what advice are not usable? Please tell.

• Some of the advice that i see guys give girls/boys on here make me think this " if __ APPROACHED a girls/guy like that she'd/he'd DISS his/her ass in a moment because it's no secret that starting a convo with HI or HEY usually leads to a GENERIC/boring CONVO that leads nowhere, RIGHT?" -_-. So I try to give them REAL LIFE adivce that'll make that guy/girl say hey he's DIFFERENT from the rest of these jokers ^_^ etc

I haven't refreshed the page yet before I sent this by the way

• Nice I just answered you question with my previous message so i don't have to retype because I think that it covers this ^_^

Most of their advice would leave ___ on an ISLAND IRL when it comes to approaching/talking to a girl/guy that they don't know basically LOL

What Girls Said 11

• Well, of course.
    People spew negative shit outside of GaG as well. People lie outside of GaG as well. People form cliques outside of GaG as well... etc...
    It's not that different...

• If you mean that people's opinions are the same in real life, or at least the ones that people do voice, I think that's a no.

A lot of advice is easier said than done or said just to make someone feel better as opposed to the piece of advice that would seem like the actual best option.

The negativity? I don't think it represents most people's behaviour in real life. If it does then I'd assume that the big majority of GAG's adult population is unemployed since employers don't really tolerate such attitudes. That being said, they would never say such things in real life so I guess the internet is the place to act all high and mighty.

All in all, most people on here are decent. Thing is, though, negative opinions tend to be noticed more since we respond more emotionally to them. Hundreds of people can call you beautiful, but then one asshole calls you ugly and then you question everything about yourself and ignore the hundred people's opinions.

• Gag opinions do not represent the real life completely. It gives chance to see inner thoughts of people.
    I do not find this place as toxic. It is just like real life. There are some people who complain , who do not want to accept the truth. There are also some people who are more open.

• I think it's a somewhat good representation.

• I believe that some opinions really express what people think. They just can't say it in real life.
    But other things are not true.

• A think people tend to be more open about things here than in real life. I know I am.
    I do think gag attracts people who are extreme in certain areas. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just take some advice with a grain of salt.

• Most of them are just generic answers, but it does apply for the most part

• The anonymity aspect means people feel freer to express their true opinions.

• Let's say if people did reveal themselves as racist, does that mean most people in real life are RACIST?

• If this is hypothetical, then yes.

• Not my life but these opinions represent must some ones life.

• i think so yes

• some are real enough