Why is it so difficult or impossible for some people to humbly accept and understand that they are not entitled to your time, energy, and thoughts?

There have been several times where I've noticed users getting upset and riled up when someone blocks them and even suggesting that person is a coward for not inviting and including their thoughts. I simply disagree.
If you do not know how to speak to others, have piss poor communication skills, are argumentative, antagonistic, pushy, dramatic, or cannot express yourself without being emotional, then a total stranger is not obligated to patiently put up with your personality. You do not have a right to occupy someone's time and energy if you do not display respect, courtesy, or a productive presense that contributes in an ultimately healthy, positive way.

Maybe it's just me and the fact that in my life, I have reached my maximum capacity for nonsense and bullshit therefore I refuse to put up with anyone's sh*t. The way I see it is I'm not your paid, licensed therapist, your mother, your friend, or anyone who has any moral obligation to give you the time of day so if you are acting a fool or displaying traits that rub me the wrong way then I'm not going to deal with you.

What do you think? What's your overall view on this topic?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think their either conceited or their lonely, as in they think they are great so everyone else should to, or they crave attention/acceptance and denial of it causes them to throw a tantrum, either way their immature.

What Guys Said 4

• Possibly because the blocked person doesn't perceive himself/herself as not knowing how to speak to others, having piss poor communication skills, or is argumentative, antagonistic, pushy dramatic and unable to express himself/herself without being emotional.

I agree that you aren't obligated to interact with anyone. That being said, I do think blocking is often done by intellectual cowards. I've never blocked anyone. If someone irritates me, I just don't read his/her comments. Although frankly this hasn't happened either.

• "Intellectual coward". The idea that blocking someone online with a block feature that wasn't created to be unused doesn't make sense to me. I'll never get that narrow-minded perspective where people truly label a stranger as a coward for making the active decision to never have to deal with their mouth again. There are so many infinite acts of courage that people display every single day so to dismiss someone as an 'intellectual coward' for not giving a stranger online the opportunity to be heard just seems like a butt-hurt, defensive conclusion to me.

• I am speaking of specific cases where an individual blocks someone simply because he/she has an opposing viewpoint that makes someone uncomfortable. I agree there are times when it's appropriate to block someone.

In cases where the person blocks someone simply because that person has an opposing viewpoint that is uncomfortable to the blocker, then I think that's intellectual cowardice. I don't particularly care if you find that a narrow minded perspective. Suffice it to say I disagree. I find people who block opposing viewpoints to have arrived at narrow minded, butthurt, and defensive conclusions.

• Hey that about the size of it. period! no further questions your Honor...😁

• well said...

• I litterally give zero fucks if someone blocks me.

What Girls Said 2

• I think your general sentiment is correct. Blocking someone is for your benefit not anyone else's. It's your choice that doesn't hurt anyone else. If someone doesn't like that, it's their problem not yours. You have the right to control your online environment.

• Very much agreed!