Why is "suicidal tendencies" an option to report a question for?

This has always confused me, why exactly is it an option? If someone is feeling depressed or suicidal I don't think they should be reported for it. This is an advice column after all. We should probably try our best to talk to them and help them feel better, right? Why exactly is this an option if you wanted to report a question?

Most Helpful Girl

• So the reason we remove posts that have suicidal tendencies are not for punishing or reporting that user but it's actually the opposite: because we care about our members.

When we remove such a post that member gets an important message. That GaG is concerned about them and that we would like to help them. We refer them to trained counselors at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline who are available 24/7 by giving them a number to call: 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The call is free and confidential. We want our members to remain safe and continue to reach out so we also ask them to please not to do anything to hurt themselves, and give them more resources such as Lifeline, http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org so they can get the assistance they need.

So that's why it's an important option to have, so we can do our best to prevent a tragedy from happening and let them know we're listening.

Thanks for asking such a relevant question.

What Guys Said 8

• Well besides being a great punk Rock band out of the skate /surfing/ punk Rocking/Rappers/ stars ghetto itself "dOg TwN" Venice Beach California. Its also a sign someone maybe to that point of just ending their Lifes. It might be your bff or mom or daddy but whoever it is we don't want them to not finish 🏁 this life it's. Part of the gift of having been giving one... does anybody not understand that... it has to be a given thing by something greater than ourselves, otherwise it would be a mistake.
    And anybody with half a mind can tell you that one thing about all this universe and the operations there of all work perfect as according to that in which it has been for as long as it has been... duh? How many time has the sun broke? The moon said sorry cow no jumping my bones... Saturn's said it's over take back these rings...
    Nothing! Nothing! Nothing! Happens by mistake except of course we make em daliy as humans... why? Because that's how we learn and through pain we grow so you don't grow through Joy sorry that's why we must suffer then we get the Joy of all the experience that have taught us so much through sufferings... soon it we be done and we won't have anymore tears just Love... Sic with it! Good cheering you!

• If you report a question for suicidal tendencies, gag sends them a message with counseling options and the suicide hotline

• yeah that's werd as well... but who knows if they r real, or they just want 2 draw attention? note dat many people ask such questions 2 draw some attention basically ;-)

• Because they might just get fucked up seeing answers from people on the internet. They should really just call a suicide hotline or something.

• When did that _happen?

• i have mjlonir to my head i'm going to end my life so gagers can stop bullying me.

• Because Suicidal is a badass band!!!

• People on here have asked how to kill themselves. Not a very appropriate thing to ask

Also, why not? I mean, hell we elected George Bush as president. Anything is possible in America

What Girls Said 8

• I believe they get sent a message which gives them a suicide hot line and websites they can go to for help. It's not to punish them at all, but to send them help just in case they're actually on the verge of committing suicide. It also protects impressionable people from taking an interest or being encouraged to commit suicide.

• I also thought about it. I think there are just too many trolls on here who would comment mean things like "Just kill yourself" which would probably make the suicidal person feel worse.
    But the good thing is that as soon as the question gets deleted, the user gets help (website/suicide hotline).

• It's just not what this site is for, I guess.

• I've noticed this too. I don't know all the policies of this website. I also feel like we should rally around this person and try to help them out. The thing is that not everyone on here knows what they're talking about, and some actually continue to bully the OPs. That's what I've noticed about those posts.

If someone is feeling depressed or suicidal, they need to call a suicide hotline where they can receive more professional and critical help.

• Yeah people can be immature about it and will say things to make them feel worse. Also sometimes people troll suicide for attention.

• I like that admins do help out these posters when their questions are flagged/deleted. That makes me feel better whenever those questions disappear from the site.

• That's true.

• They're reported so the admins can help them. That option was just recently added.

• Because GAG helps those people through supporting them

• I agree and people are immature for reporting it.

• Imagine you're chandler bing, while giving answers...😉