Does anyone else hate the downvote feature on here?

Like I feel like I'm not allowed to have an opinion because if anyone so much as doesn't agree, I get downvoted.

just to clarify: i'm specifically talking about the fact most people don't give an explanation. i just think downvoting is a passive and pointless way to disagree with my opinion. at least tell me why

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't like it. I don't give a shit about what people think about my opinion. Plus, it makes people not comment because they're afraid of being judged.

What Guys Said 20

• Should it be any worse than the upvote? Or is someone not allowed to disagree with your opinion. the only change I would like to see is that one needs to post a reason for downvoting so that the person receiving the downvote could know the reason.

• that's what I mean. People just passively downvote without giving a reason. They should comment instead

• Realize the upvote is often used by people just to "like" their friends, not the actual opinion, so it is meaningless also. Many people just ignor the votes they get either way.

• i only downvote if it seems that they are just posting to get bonus points. I saw someone ask a serious question about the opposite sex and a reply was "pervert". I would downvote that. But if you gave your honest opinion about something and it was sincere I would NEVER downvote that.

I admit that I post for points but I will give a real opinion not just something for points.

• Who cares. If you never offend anyone then you aren't doing something right. People are pissy and temperamental, and just existing is bound to make someone mad.

• Nope, I prefer it to Facebook, where you can only "like" stuff.

Being able to upvote or downvote reflects reality better, and doesn't perpetuate the lie that everyone is positive all the time.

The problem with Facebook's system is that some people get lots of likes and others don't. So you still feel hurt or left out when you post something that fails, but it's worse, because it feels like nobody cared.

With downvotes, at least you know someone checked out your post and has an opinion on it.

• It's either you say a lot of silly things, or you are offended by others opinions.

This site has helped me learn a lot by people down voting me. It give me a reason to try understand what their point of view is. Sometimes trying to see others perspectives can help educate your own.
    Some times peoe are just dicks lol, welcome to earth!

• Does getting upvoted / downvoted actually do anything to your profile and your xper and stuff?

Otherwise, I couldnt really care if some person didn't agree with me? xD

• It's not a big deal.
    I get a shitload of downvotes for presenting facts, that doesn't comply with the view of the narrowminded.

Quite a lot of people here are going for specific answers to justify their own crappy behaviors, to make them feel it's 'ok' and they don't have to feel guilty.

• These votes doesn't effect xpers, so not a problem.

I don't care about xpers, or even downvotes.

The more you care about downvotes, the more downvotes you will actually get.

• I usually take it as an indicator that I've said something the wrong way, and people misunderstood me, or that a lot of people just simply disagree with what I'm saying.

• Nope I could honestly care less lol.

• yes but i´d really like this feature on facebook :D

• Yes lets all agree with eachother about everything. That'll surelly solve everyone's problems

• It's good because it makes you think more carefully about your opinion. Of course, you can't always please people especially stupid people, so just try your best and ignore the down vote.

• I still state my opinions even if I'm down-voted.

• No it's okay if people don't like what I have to say.
    it's only the internet

• Nah it makes me laugh at the poor basteds

• Its a love indication for me.. :D

• No. i love it muahahaha (if you don't understand look at my username)

• Upvote this if you like black people.

• Sounds like no one else is allowed to have an opinion. We must all just agree with you

• no it's more that people tend to not justify why they downvoted they just leave me clueless as to why my opinion is wrong

What Girls Said 20

• If people disagreeing with you makes you think you're not allowed to have an opinion, what the hell are you doing on the internet?

Honestly, what an infantile attitude to have. "Waaaaah someone disagrees with me, that means I'm not allowed my preshus opinions!!"

Nobody is ever going to agree with you on everything and trying to be liked by everyone is one of the most retarded things you can do that will eventually lead you to becoming miserable.

Stop trying to please everyone and relying on some arbitrary feature on a website to validate the "correctness" of your views.

• no need to be rude! i just don't like the fact people hardly ever justify it. an explanation would be nice

• you're a prick

• What's your point?

• i don't think you should worry about it
    http://cdn.meme.am/instances/23775833.jpg

• Downvotes don't affect your xper or anything so it's nbd. Like if you post about how women should be in the workforce too, but get a bunch of male downvotes is that a bad thing? NOPE. It's def a good thing XD

You can't let little arrows upset you.

• lol I love it.
    Makes me feel like I'm doing something right hahahaha

Plus it is always hilarious knowing how many people I royally pissed off. :)

• People are allowed to disagree with you and downvote you, just as much as you're allowed to express your opinion.

However, sometimes I'd actually like it if they expressed why they disagree with me. It sometimes makes me curious to see a downvote, but no explanation.

• yeah that's what i meant, i should have phrased the question better. it's the anonymity element and the lack of explanation which irritates me

• Meh, learn how to not care so much.

• I legit get downvoted for everything. Who really cares?

• I like it. Some people don't feel like explaining why they don't agree with you or getting into an argument. Also it shows that not everyone agrees with your statement. I wish this function was on FB as well. It's on YouTube as well but I don't think it works properly.

• Downvotes ain't shit. Don't feel inhibited to express your opinion, there'll always be people who disagree.

• if you ignore those downvotes, you wouldn't mind at all.
    Try to ignore it some people just wanna stick it up to you

• Why are you getting wound up over some thing so trivial as up/down voting?

• No. I want to see the bad asses come out and do their total ownages.

• yeah but people can debate in the comments rather than passively downvote. tell me a counterargument to my opinion

• woah... who mentioned depression?

• i should change my name to MysteriousDepressionCauser ^.^

• Down voting reminds us to have quality content. U like that. Its incentive. And you don't get in trouble. So, why not?

• it's not about quality tho is it

• I generally use it for quality. But, if someone says something rude, insensitive, or perverted, I will down vote them and I don't feel like I should have to explain to them why their actions were bad.

• People are allowed to downvote if they want to.

• No, but I think that a down or upvote shouldn't happen anonymous

• Nope its my constant companion

• Who gives a shit about downvote. I get it all the time.

• No, I don't care.

• No, other people's opinions of my opinion do not matter to me, therefore do not bother me.

• I gave some opinions that weren't troll-y or offensive to anyone and this guy down voted me. But I saw he down voted everyone lol.

• I only downvote when they're being stupid, ridiculous, or extremely rude. If you use it properly, it can be helpful.