Should gag get rid of the block button?

People abuse it way too much. Some of the people on here are highly immature, and only block people because they don't like hearing the truth or just because they don't like somebody. They even block to be hotheaded jerks and to have the last word, and block so they can't reply. Really? I mean, I don't like people either, but I at leader give them the benefit of the doubt.

I realize that there are perverts on here, and maybe you don't want them to contact them. But, I think they should have a mute button instead. That way, if you want to mute a question or person, you will stop getting notifications from that person.

What do you think?

• Yes.
    13% (6)22% (9)17% (15)Vote
  • No.
    87% (41)78% (31)83% (72)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I didn't mean that they should get rid of it all together. I mean they should have an option to block someone for a period of time. Anywhere from 10 minutes to a year... Also, they should allow you to mute questions and people so you can stop getting notified of them. That's what I'm saying.
For the last time people... -_- I don't mean completely ridding the block button. Read my last update to understand please. I'm tired of explaining my logic.

0|0
19|26

Most Helpful Guy

• Not completely get rid of it, but I think GAG should add a feature where every time you want to block someone, you have to explain why and GAG would review it.

So like if you try to block a person on here without giving a reasonable explanation (or any explanation at all), then GAG would deny your block request.

3|1
    0|0
    • That would require a lot of man-hours.

• Yeah! I was thinking of asking that too

What Guys Said 25

• You can't expect everyone to be objective and reasonable. Take me, for example, I've been blocked almost entirely by fembots. I don't really miss them (they never answer my questions, even though I don't have THEM blocked) since you can't expect such people to be sensible on ANY issue.

Taking away the block would mean I'd no doubt get constant whining, down votes, and nasty comments from fembots on many of my questions, instead of the blessed silence that reigns now.

0|1
    0|0
    • Of course, but I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. They may not agree with me, but that doesn't mean I will block them and censor them from expressing their opinion. I feel empathy.

• But some people have zero empathy except for themselves and their cothinkers.

• 3|1
    0|1
  • noooooooo... never... fights will occur all da time then 8)

1|2
    0|0
  • Seems like the block button is the glue keeping this sites drama from exploding out. I don't have any beef so I'd just sit back and lowkey watch people go at it like how they do on Facebook.
    I hear the block feature on here is pretty weak though so I don't know

1|0
    0|0
  • I think that the Block feature is important on any site requiring accounts to use. There are plenty of people out there that would simply spam you all day with stupid shit just because they can. You proposing to "mute" people would still allow them to send things to you through comments and messages, which defeats the purpose of muting them since they are still free to communicate with you.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes, because it doesn't do a good enough job. If a person is abusing the privilege of using this site then they should be banned/blocked from using this site again permanently so. :).

1|0
    0|0
  • People have the right to chose who they want to deal with.

1|1
    0|0
  • To be honest, I agree with @watermelonoma. It's annoying though when someone blocks you when the discussion gets heated because it's like that chance of ever seeing eye to eye with that person again especially when you weren't really trying to be uncivil. Not mentioning anyone in particular *cough* *cough* @nert73... *cough* *cough*

0|0
    0|0
  • I block people that are disrespectful and/or are incapable of having a civil discussion.

It also keeps me from commenting on every stupid thing they say...

1|1
    1|1
  • No they shouldn't get rid of it. at the end of the day, as much as people abuse it sometimes... these people are only hurting themselves in the long run anyways. People should have the personal freedom to block whoever they please

1|0
    0|1
    • If only it worked like that in real life

• Show All
    • You can't block people in real life. :p

• asker... gag is not real life... Real life is a killer

• Yes because its freedom of speech and its rear for me to use unlike the 16 girls and 17 boys whom voted no as I'm typing this.

0|1
    1|0
    • I agree with you 100%

• The only reason I voted yes is because people on here abuse it, people whom want the last word, or u don't like the way they look, or there age.

• Yes everyone who blocked me please unblock me!

0|1
    0|0
  • "i realize that there are perverts on here, and maybe you don't want them to contact them."

hence why there's a block feature.

its not going away

0|0
    0|1
    • I know. :P I just wish there was a way to mute people instead without blocking them.

• if they wanna be immature then let them.

• no..

many have blocked me, but only because they lack social skills/social reality... lolol.. fuck with me, and i'll do so in kind.

0|1
    1|0
  • It does more good than bad.

0|0
    0|0
  • Would be nice.

0|0
    0|0
  • It should only be temporary I think. As in, you block the person for 4 months?

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, you should be able to choose how long you want then blocked

• Nope no no nonoononno

0|0
    0|1
  • no they should not, what about the girls getting secually harrased in private messages? not bueno

0|0
    0|0
  • true but i would rather women had protection from pervs that not

0|0
    0|0
    • As many guys as girls want to block. Guys aren't perved, or are those who want to block perved?
      The "perv protection for poor girls" is just an excuse. A pervert can be reported and completely banned by an admin. A reported and banned pervert will not creep other girls.

• Its helpful for the gurls mostly, to block em creeps

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe replace it with freezing ones account instead of blocking them
    this way they can't harass others on here but they need something
    just too many people like to come on others Opinions, or message
    people with harassment..

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh yes then I hate see the comments of people I have blocked

0|0
    0|0
  • The story is , the block button was introduced to protect girls from creeps. Look at the poll: guys like it just as much. Would they be creeped too on Gag? Or are they just using the block button for their own unrelated aims?

0|0
    0|0
  • No but they should get rid of the block anonymous button

0|0
    0|0
    • It works only on that question, not on the whole site.

• Yeah nobody should be able to block anonymous opinions, the anonymous feature is one of the best things about GaG

What Girls Said 19

• NO! I've had to block a lot of people for good reasons.

2|1
    0|1
  • People are allowed to decide when to end a conversation. Of course it's annoying sometimes, but just because you want to force "the truth" on someone or continue a conversation, doesn't mean gag should get rid of the block button in my opinion.

1|0
    0|1
    • I didn't mean like get rid of it all together. I meant that there should be a more lenient version of it.

• Show All
    • Like muting people so you stop getting notified of them.

• Lenient versions of the block button are the mute button or the temporary block: blocked on just that question or for a day or a week.

• People may abuse it but it's still necessary. People do genuinely get harassed here so they need it. People could still abuse a mute button or a temporary block button. I think it's all fine as it is. Muting notifications from particular questions would be a good idea though.

0|0
    0|0
    • I get harassed too, but blocking only does so much. Sometimes the accounts need to be removed.

• I agree with you about how people use it, i've had people block me because they didn't agree with an opinion I posted and i've never had a single conversation with that person and i'm pretty sure my opinion wasn't that out there lol. But some people are just wacko with that button, not sure how they function in real life if they can't even handle a difference of opinion on an opinion site.

They can't really get rid of the feature though because there are so many creeps on this site that it would make it intolerable to be on here.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah. I believe they should ask us WHY we want to block a person, so they can't block for no reason whatsoever.

• The block button is really helpful. I'm allowed to use the block button regardless of the reason why I used it.
    " They even block to be hotheaded jerks and to have the last word, and block so they can't reply."
    ^ Yes, that's a good reason for me to block someone. Of course I'm going to block someone who continues to give rude replies to my questions or constantly argues with me. I see no point of blocking someone for just a short period of time. It just doesn't make any sense. So, you block them for just a short period of time? But then, they'll bother you again once they're unblocked. Your concept doesn't have any logic, I'm sorry.

0|0
    0|0
    • Uh, yes it does. What if that person kept spamming you on a question? You can block them for ten or so minutes so they can get the message. What if the person was your friend? also, it's stupid to block someone for not agreeing with you. Sometimes it's good to feel empathy.

• Well, I'm not one of those people who block someone just for disagreeing with me. I block them for a good reason which is, they bothered me.
      Completely blocking someone is better. Why would I bother myself blocking someone every ten minutes if they continuously harass me? There is no reason to assume that the person harassing me will stop what they're doing just by constantly blocking them. I mean, they're users who create new accounts just so they could harass people, so making the block button "less strict" won't do any good.

• That's good

• The block feature is there for a reason. I have 61 people blocked. I don't care if you find think that I'm abusing it, it's my choice.

If someone banned the block button I would get really angry and leave this website because that's just a violation to be honest.

1|0
    0|0
  • i agree with you that people abuse the block button too much like a week ago (i think?) a girl blocked me because A. i told her the truth B. so i could not defend myself against her opinon C. so she can get the last word.
    she then went on to say if i slightly disobeyed the guidelines here, she would report me and that she would check me regularly. she obviously has no life if she spends what life she does not have obsessing over mine.

I love to argue so i would never block someone unless they have super ignorant or offensive opinions but maybe we can block someone from messaging someone else but allow them to give opinions on the other persons posts?

0|0
    1|0
  • The block button is there for people who feel they are being harrassed, abused or insulted by other users. I think the block button should be permanent, so when you block someone you can't unblock them ever again. That way people will probably think more carefully about who they block, and stop the immature people abusing it.

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh... I dunno about that.

• Show All
    • Permanent block button. What if the person was your friend, and you had a little argument? You wouldn't be able to unblock them.

• That's the point, it will make you think more carefully about who you block. So only people who are seriously harassing or insulting you persistently can be blocked permanently.

• No, that's an essential feature. Dudes kept asking me to shit/piss on them. Super not into that. Super not into being sent creepy messages in general.

0|0
    0|0
  • Omg that would do me so much justice... I never block anyone no natter what and frankly I think it's so immature that people can't deal with their problems or other people.

0|0
    1|0
    • Exactly. You can't block people in real life, so why should you be able to on the Internet? It's dumb to me.

• No. Some people are legitimate stalkers! I would leave if I couldn't block some of the pervs that contact me :/

0|1
    0|0
    • Same with me.

• Show All
    • Why would I block my girl for.
      @asker we understand I think yes mute them so you don't see them in the feed or on questions and comments.

• No. I want to outright block some people. Muting just doesn't do justice for some ;)

• Nooooooo! That's other people's problems. If they want to be cry babies and go around blocking everyone who shares an opinion they should just get off GaG entirely. I kind of see where you're coming from though, but I don't really think they should alter anything about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like no... I don't get in their faces and drop stupid comments in their threads, to bait them for a fight... so why should they? If they can't respect that I don't want to argue and have their oopinions forced on to me... so it's the BLOCK

0|0
    0|0
    • haha I see some trolls here answering your questions.. and they are all in my B list.

• Show All
    • You know what people do in real life when others don't leave them alone? they kill 'em or they get killed.

Only in GAG i have power over these bullies or control freaks who can't handle people with different opinions.

• Haha, yeah.

• I understand what your saying but I think it's a necessity especailly here. People go to harrassing levels on here and it's the only way to put a stop to it and reporting. But I only use it if I really need to.

0|0
    0|0
    • I know I know I'm harassed constantly too, but I can deal with it. It may get gag to be more aware of perverted activity too.

• Yea the same day they get rid of the anon button.

0|1
    0|0
  • Okay but muting them would be the exact same thing as blocking them. Where is your logic?

0|0
    0|0
    • No it wouldn't. They would still be able to contact you, but you wouldn't get a notification for it. 😕

• You wouldn't get a notification for it, so you wouldn't see it, so you wouldn't read it. Just as you don't read anything from them when they're blocked...

• I hate the people that try to get the last word. It's so immature.

0|1
    1|0
  • Hella no please don't do that!! D:<

0|0
    0|0
    • Why?

• Show All
    • /)_< I don't mean getting rid of it all the way for the last time. Did you read my update?

• Ohh okay but I think it should be like it is now.

• then again you have others who are highly immature who just troll an send rude messages. I don't have the time for that nonsense. And, that is like people asking to rid the block on FB or on your phone.

this is a retarded question. I guess you're just on a rant.

1|0
    0|0
    • Did you even read the update? I don't want it all the way gone.

• Show All
    • They should give penalties out for abusing it.

• but they can never really prove they are abusing it