Should I use a picture of myself as my profile picture?

I'm kind of afraid to because creeps like to collect photos of people and stuff like that, also, I'm afraid that someone will say I'm ugly or something. I'm so insecure... any way I can get over this fear? I hate being this way. I don't want to post a rate me question because people might call me ugly or something. ;_;

Most Helpful Guy

• if you have this much concerns over it, then you shouldn't post your picture at all honestly. Someone WILL eventually call you ugly. Someone WILL eventually save one of your pictures. Those things are to be expected on the internet. The people who upload their pictures anyways tend to be people who are aware of these realities, and aren't too bothered by them, as a I am. If you are as insecure as you say, i strongly advise you not upload any. You've shown me what you look like and personally i think you look good for your age.

What Guys Said 19

• Lots of people have their picture for a profile pic, but many of them do something so they are still hidden. Such as the picture being of a part of them, such as a foot, hand, legs, that kind of thing. Many put pictures with their face hidden by their hair. All kinds of ways that it can be you while still being hidden.

What I don't understand is how you are afraid to use a picture of yourself, but you keep saying that you want to post a rate me picture. You can just put up a nice profile picture. Why do you think you should past a rate me question? That is jumping clear to the other end of the spectrum. I honestly do not understand all the people posting rate me questions, many people doing it over and over. What is the appeal of asking people to rate you?

• I dunno, I just wanted to know if people thought I was cute. I posted it though.

• Yes I did. I got good comments.

• Good. I hope you can forget about worrying about someone calling you ugly and feeling insecure about yourself. You are probably a very pretty woman who has unfounded fears about herself.

• I am in favour of people of putting their own pic in profile pic - I don't want to say it doesn't happen but any of the How Do I Look questions I seen are quite positive.
    On another note I think it is really important because I saw your take on black girls and I was really surprised to find out you were black. So your profile pic will give you a stronger identity on here.

• I don't see why not? If you're afraid of creeps like everyone keeps saying then I hope you never put your pictures up on facebook, twitter, instagram... etc... there's always gonna those people who do it? Are you going to spend the rest of your life worrying about it?

• Think of anything you post online as a secret. Once you share it with one person, it's out of your hands. The whole world could end up knowing it.

On the other hand, one of the neat things about the Internet is exactly that you can meet new people and share information about yourselves and your lives.

So you have to weigh your desire to share your face with the people on GAG with the risk of sharing your face with everyone on the Internet.

• Creeps don't collect profile pictures. Keep your clothes on and you'll be okay.

• Why would you be afraid if someone calls you ugly? They can't do anything to you and their opinion of you has absolutely no value in your life. I have a picture of me in my profile, I know I'm not good looking but whatever any one says matters not.

• Because I dunno. I'm insecure.

• But again, your insecurity has no need to exist. Let's presume I called you ugly (no ur not). So what? I mean I'm just a dude here on the internet. How and what will I do to you? My words are just that - words.

Basically you should look at it this way - do you want others to control your life? No? Then getting offended at their words is essentially like allowing them to control you. You are letting them control your emotions with their words. If you want to be free, don't take random strangers' opinions seriously.

• Haha, thanks. I might just post a rate me question.

• Don't worry about what other people think. I doubt you are ugly at all.

But you can use whatever you want as your profile picture. It is your profile after all.

• If your photo is elsewhere in the net, with your real name, don't do it.

• DO IT! I had fears of revealing da true front2back a year ago but I've only regretted it maybe twice.

• well most people on here are kind so even if they think you´re not pretty they´ll be nice.

you should probably take the pic down if the question is answered enough XD in order to keep the creeps off your profile ^^

• I post my picture all the time because it's what happens in real life so might as well do it on here too. That's my thinking at least. I'd find it draining hiding behind an image.

• If you feel comfortable and secure about it, then go ahead. Just be careful with what type of profile picture it is of yourself so online perverts don't prey on you for it.

• No people can be creepy here

• I say go for it , you should not care what other people think.

• Do what you feel comfortable doing.

• if you put a descent pictur, then why not?

• yes you should if we have too

• No because there's a lot of thirsty guys on here that are quick to overrate and boost egos.

• I suggest you not to but don't think of yourself as ugly.

What Girls Said 19

• It will bring some people out of the blue, messaging you.. I just changed my pic on here like 2 days ago and I have had multiple random people messaging me since. There is one or two that I don't mind talking to, but most of them are just looking to talk dirty or hit on me... Do whatever makes you feel better. :)

• I'm a huge opponent of posting personal pics online for exactly the reasons you listed. It squicks me out that someone could find your picture and keep it as their own. It's so damn creepy! I say keep as much of the internet as feasible.

Like if you're not sure what you want to use as a profile pic I'm sure there are tons of great sources out there. OR you could ask an artist to draw or make an icon for you for like 5 or 10 bucks.

• I really doubt your ugly... every person has beautiful qualities for example someone with bad skin might have amazing hair, or somebody who's overweight might have beautiful eyes... every bodies beautiful in their own unique ways, so if you would like to put up a picture of yourself then do it... but if it makes you uncomfortable then dont:)

• I'm not grossly overweight, I'm just chubby on my stomach, but I look thin in photos.

• Those questions asking who's hot in here just make me really, really insecure.

• Well that dosent mean you have to ask one:)

• ah if u wish. if this helps, i have since day 1. only issues iv had were people using my pics as their profile images. as for creeps, yeah theyre everywhere but at least u can control who inboxes you.

• It depends if the pro's weight out the cons. The pro's are:
    - people will remember you better
    - your opinions get more personal. People see what kind of person would react in such case they described.
    - you get compliments all the time (if you like that)
    - people don't step into conclusions too fast sometimes. Like if you say something that could offend someone, they don't have the argument like 'well, I bet you're ugly and a loser!'.

The cons:
    - creepy messages
    - hottest gagers contests
    - negative prejudices

Decide for youself

• If you want to then go ahead and do it! I can't worry about the creeps (maybe I'm too naive).
    99% of people will be positive and nice about yourppicture, I've only had a couple girls and guys say I was ugly and it's no big deal. I suggest never ask a rate me question ;)
    I for one would love to see you :)

• It will bring a lot of creepers don't do it.

• I say go for it. People downvote my pictures all the time ans guess what? I still post em! Screw people. I'm sure you're beautiful.

• We're all nice here on GAG but it's entirely up to you.

• its all up to you to decide whether you wanna use your own pic or not

• i just covered my face in my profile picture i wanted it to be personal to me and this way its me but nobody will recognise me

• Fk em all and do what you want

• If your cautious keep what you have up as a profile pic. There is no need for a selfie.

• Yeah, there's a question and this guy collected people's pictures and made a college.

• @RainbowFanGirl That guy asked as many of the girls as he could, for their permission before making that collage. If you have a Facebook with your pictures on, people can steal them from there too. It's a risk you take.

• That question was made by a guy I know. He asked me before to use my picture for his collage. I said no because I didn't like his question, but this was a really rare case. Nobody would save your picture unwillingly.

• I feel ya. I finally convinced myself to post a picture of myself, and then I had two guys message me (they weren't saying anything too bad), but hey, that's the power of the "block" button.

• Just post it in black n white

• I use my own pics, I don't worry because no one knows me lol and they don't have my permission anyways, so just makes them assholes.

• You should do it lol
    Like why not? Who cares what anyone over the internet thinks
    Plus im sure you're beaut :P

If you wanna do something then you should, dont let anyone hold you back haha

• Just do it :) I'm sure your pretty

• I thought about posting it too but I am afraid to do so. There are so many creeps over here.