Do you think GaG allows freedom of speech without showing bias?

Plenty of questions/opinions get removed when they're not offensive, explicit or antagonistic. I think this is an example of bias, GaG admins will only allow you to express questions/opinions THEY agree with, so ultimately on this website you are not entitled to your opinion. GaG is effectively a dictatorship. It's not that serious a question becuase it is of little consequence lol, I just wondered what others' take on it will be..

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest, the guidelines given to moderators are fairly vague, which leaves a lot of room for personal interpretation and bias.

I'd like to think that we all try our best to be fair, but we're only human.

• This one is super
      I like your honesty 😊

• I can tell you use reddit: humble disclaimer followed by a totally understandable explanation of your motivation! lol

What Girls Said 7

• Well, this is a site with a very diverse user base so of course not everyone is going to agree with everything. We do our best to be as unbiased as possible though. However, the site guidelines encompass much more than just offensive, explicit, or antagonistic posts. There are other reasons for a post to be removed than just that. You can view our posting guidelines here. http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/moderators#147

Moderators simply hide posts until an admin can review them. Then, the admins make a final decision. If you feel that a post has been wrongly removed, you can always send us a message and we can review it or explain the removal in more detail. www.girlsaskguys.com/contact

• that looks like one of those slippery legal contracts open to interpretation at the convenience of 'da system'. lol. There's definite bias and poor judgment exhibited on the daily here, the fact that it's take two people (a mod and an admin) to come to what is sometimes inescapably the wrong decision just makes it worse really. But it's no biggie, s'only GaG innit? lol

• Well like I said, it's a very diverse site so we can only do the best we can. However, this is exactly why it's so important for users to contact the admins if they feel a post has been wrongly removed. All of the admins are very open to explaining removals and getting user feedback.

• I personally wouldn't bother. As I said to selfishstars I have tried to get in touch with GaG before, to no avail. It's like walking into a shop, getting short changed and the manager ignoring you rather than dealing with the problem. Next time you go in there you buy one item so you don't bother taking the receipt, then you get accused of stealing, so it's one rule for them and another for you, blatant bias and bad customer service. The receipt might still be kicking around at the checkout you used.. but you'd be fed up and just give them their product back and leave the store. You would not be singing their praises after this.

• With a site that's so full of diversity, it's pretty hard to not have bias. There are so many different people here with so many different views. What you may find not offensive, may be offensive to 5 other people. It's difficult. And sometimes things that get removed by a mod will be reviewed and put back up. So just try to keep in mind that there's a lot of gray area when it comes to what's offensive/antagonistic on here.

• I can understand it's hard, but there really should be no bias at all and it should be as objective as possible, that's where the censorship falls short. I think the judgment is poor, not always, but fairly often.

• I get that, sometimes I'll get something deleted, then I'll look at it and honestly feel like that joke could have gone either way, I suppose other people couldn't have known the sentiment behind it and that's fair enough! That's objectivity at work on my end. But other times I'll be like, no way! I can't believe that got deleted, madness, bias, unfair! lol

• Lol trust me, I've been there. We aren't exempt. It does suck. Especially when you know you didn't intend on being offensive.

• Yes, that is true. I think we've discovered this already.

• Not necessarily... I've gotten away with plenty of things I've said. But they have occasionally removed some of my comments but that's because I'll be in a heated argument say somethings I shouldn't have and the person that was rude to me reports me to get the last laugh.

Other wise no I could've been reported many more times but they don't do it.

• No it doesn't allow that. We all know that

• Well nothing is without bias. Just because YOU don't find it offensive doesn't mean it's not offensive to someone else, and just because you find something offensive doesn't mean other people will agree. But GAG being a dictatorship? Seriously? C'mon now.

• I think when you're given the job of censoring the website, it shouldn't be personal, but I suppose as selfishstars said peeps be human. "Seriously?", naw, read the question back. lol

• I try to remove what I see could be offensive to anyone, not just to me in particular. It's difficult to determine whether a comment is worthy of being hidden or not, but I try to be as objective as I can.

• YES! It's about being objective!

• Yes, GaG is completely biased. I thought we all knew it already.

What Guys Said 8

• well obviously, its a privately owned website, not a publicly owned company.

• GAG's one of da most "free" sites... it should remain tha t way instead of being handcuffed :)

• I'm beginning to think you side with the masses and you're becoming vapid when you used to be cool, you disappoint me Klaatu. But of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if I don't necessarily agree with it... I don't think the admins are of the same stance though.

• @asker dude... i'm #1 among guys ranking now... so i must b more politically correct 8)

• I think with great power comes great responsibility, to be yourself... you changed man, you CHANGED! lol

• the site rules are not the U. S. constitution. It's a privately managed website, which means they pretty much set the rules where speech is concerned. But generally, i find the admins quite lenient. Stop trying to equate GaG with your country's government system... the two are not the same

• Yes actually. Its all in the name of political correctness.

• It's biased, but the federal government says they won't arrest you/punish you for your ideas/speech. GaG is not the government and has no requirement to allow free speech and can moderate any way they wish.

• I agree totally with what you say.

• Yes and no.
    It allows freedom of speech until some butt hurt whiner starts mashing the flag icon, usually for the simple reason that they don't agree with the comment and therefore feel it is their right to stifle any idea that doesn't coincide with their own.

• 0|1