Why do some Americans on here answer in the context of USA rather than giving a general/universal answer like everyone else?

I'll ask a general question then someone will reply saying 'in America...' or 'us Amerians...'. Are you incapable of giving a universal answer or are you that self-absorbed in your own culture?

Most Helpful Guy

• AMERICA THINKS AND WANTS EVERYONE TO BE LIKE THEMSELVES. IF ANYONE THINKS DIFFERENTLY THEY WILL ACCUSE THEM OF BEING UNAMERICAN.

What Guys Said 14

• i've seen this only rarely actually..

• I try to give universal answer because I'm used to living in two different cultures. But everything depends on local situation usually

• i feel like people from other places, like yourself, make more of an effort to give universal answers and i appreciate that

• Jag talar svenska och engelska... :)

• Jag √§lskar m√§nniskor som du <3

• Well thank you for refering to americans as USA and not the whole land mass.

As for your question that may just be your POV on peoples answers, you might probably be looking at it that way.

But then again you do have a point I've seen many forums, facebook comments and even youtube comments where I've encountered this.

there's really nothing we can do about it unfortunately just ignore it i guess and move on.

• Different countries have different customs and traditions, different social expectations, etc. Most answers really aren't universal, and by pointing out that it's an American perspective you're acknowledging that not everyone shares your culture.

• no i mean they assume i'm talking about america in my questions and then apply American culture to their answer, unlike other users from elsewhere

• My point is you're looking for an explanation of a cultural practice that doesn't actually exist.

• so multiple examples proves... it doesn't exist?

• Because Murrica. What are you some kind of commie?

• Some people here think the world revolves around our nation and saying otherwise will sometimes get you called "unamerican"

• Maybe we Americans are sane enough to realize that a lot of our answers don't really apply to people in other cultures and countries, ya douchebag.

• nope the people i've seen definitely aren't.

• Dare I say that assuming to speak for all people in all countries is far more arrogant than saying "We Americans"

• i don't want them to speak for all countries. i just don't want them to assume i'm talking about USA

• Why don't you just specify in your comment from where you are posting? We can't know if you don't tell us.

• there is only one country on the planet earth and that is America , fuck yeah

• Whoa shots fired. Sorry you dont live on the greatest fucking nation on planet earth #MURICA

• most active users here seem to be American, so its not too surprising

• yeah but my questions are usually general, but they still seem to give an answer assuming i'm talking about america when i'm not

• Yes, we are self-absored in our own culture.

• There are Americans (Fuck Yeah!!!). And then there are... Others.

• They're pretty patriotic!

img.pandawhale.com/...rica-fuck-yeah-gif-SVUz.jpeg

This site is mostly Americans so it doesn't surprise me or bother me.

• it's quite embarrassing

• it's hard not to be cynical of Americans though when they think their country is the 'land of the free' it's hilarious

• lol, I just see that as comical these days.. what's that? there's trouble in an oil rich country? looks like they need some freedom! lol

What Girls Said 7

• It seems more considerate and polite to preface some answers with someone's nationality so you can better understand their cultural perspective. It's like when people say "well in Rhode Island" or "in California". For instance a person from Colorado is going to have a very difference on marihuana use than someone in say Texas simply because they have different laws.

I honestly don't see how that's anything other than polite and courteous to you.

• no i don't mean that. that is perfectly fine. i am talking about when they assume i am referring to USA when i'm not

• It's an American site with an American majority. Alexa estimates that at ~44% of site users are American with next largest group being Indians at ~11%. There's 4 times as many Americans than any other population. If you don't tell people otherwise it's perfectly understandable they'd think you were talking about the US.

• Because they only know what goes on in their country I guess.

• Some people may be self-absorbed like that but I doubt that's usually the case. Sometimes I say "where I live..." because I am trying to give advice, but I'm acknowledging the fact that it may be different wherever the asker is. Like when a girl said she felt unsafe walking at night and I suggested pepper spray, but it turns out it's illegal in her country. Things like that.

• that's perfectly fine, i also do that. it just bothers me when americans assume i am asking about america (when i'm not) and acting like no other places exist

• I completely understand that. Some people are just ignorant and can only seem to see things from their perspective. There are so many people on this site from all over the world, I think it's kind of stupid for someone to just assume everyone is an American.

• I haven't really seen that.

• I've actually never seen this before. I can't think of any questions that would fall under that at the moment. Can you give me an example of one that you've seen?

• Because the USA isn't the only country in America bonehead.

• i meant USA/America. we use it interchangeably

• Again 90% of users are from where? Do you arrogantly think the 90% should bow to your wishes?

• If GaG were based in Melbourne and 90% of users were Australian, guess what? I wouldn't act like a whiny bitch and say "why do you act like everyone is Australian?"

Their country, their website, ... I will not be arrogant and expect them to accommodate me.

Get it now? You're welcome.