Why do people on GAG have horrible grammar skills?

A lot of the people on here can't make a sentence sound half decent. Most phones even recommend the next word for you to type and fix the spelling. I know a Vietnamese guy who has only been here for 3 years that knows better English than a lot of the people in my school and on this website. Get it together people and learn your own language please.

who knows*
Wow, there were a lot more comments and opinions than I expected.

Most Helpful Guy

• The usual excuse is that it's not worth bothering with decent spelling, grammar or punctuation because: "it's just the internet." When you say that it's hard to taek sum 1 srsly who rites lik dis then they just tell you, "omfg dont be so judgmental geez"

(bear in mind there are quite a few non-native speakers of English on here too, and also that your point is valid for the entire internet)

What Girls Said 16

• maybe not everyone feels the need to type out perfect English on a social site.

lol i remember this trolling girl, she was hilarious. she asked a serious question and i gave her a serious answer, but here i dont use apostrophes or spell each word perfectly. so anyway, she completely ignored my answer and started ranting about my grammar, saying i couldn't speak English and that [mind u I'm doing an English major] lol.

my point is, i understand that some grammar here can get annoying. like i CANNOT STAND your/you're he's/his woman/women they're/their/there... u know all that, but in general, i think y'all gotta cut people some slack :P

• all GAG users don't have English as primary language!

• I'm scared to opine!

Here goes...

"I know a Vietnamese guy who has only been here for 3 years..."

Is "... who has only been here for 3 years"
    an appositive? If so, does that have to be offset by commas or is that a style choice?

Not criticizing here, just curious. English grammar classes were a long time ago and I'm not a journalist.

I hear what you're saying though, I don't ask for perfection but many questions are illegible. It would be nice for some to at least add periods at the end their sentences. Lol. It's pure torture to have to figure out where one sentence ends and the next begins.

• The Asian beats everyone to to it eh? Good for your friend...

• I can't stand people who use "u" instead of "you" and "ur" instead of "your" or "you're". It pisses me off. :p

• Its the internet

• i have rlly bad dyslexia [shrugs noncommittally]

as a result I can't spell properly most times n I dont notice when others do either. Ifind it sooo much easier to rely on shorthand/text speak/etc, too.

• At least you have a legitimate reason

• I would word it a different way. Your prizing of correct grammar and spelling is the prizing of something flat-out not accessible to disabled/neuroatypical people like me. I get by because I have an excuse, or something. That's not good enough for me. Why is society organized around able-bodied neurotypical people?

You should get your priorities straight, in other words.

• I'm just not that smart. Sorry. I will try harder and read over my responses more. Ok?

• Thanks for trying at least. As long as udnt talk liek ths ur fien. Translation: As long as you don't talk like this you're fine. Thanks for your opinion by the way!

• Because a lot of them don't have English as their first language :P (that's just my guess)

• Clearly you have too much free time on your hands like honestly get a grip. It's the internet not an English class.

• Perhaps, but the best way to get better at something is to practice in one's spare time.

• I cannot stand horrible grammar!

• Auto corrector is the guilty one, plus is harder to write while using a mobile device.

• I'll agree with that. I like to proof read my texts sometimes. It's saved me from quite a few mistakes.

• Having English as second language isn't really an excuse if you're above upper-intermediate. I learned this language by simply writing and writing and reading on the internet while looking up some words and making mistakes (Turns out ''heroine'' isn't an alternative spelling for heroin.). I know nothing about grammar which is why I can't teach English to those who ask me to.

Sometimes native speakers drive me crazy with their mistakes. Really, it's the language they learned as a baby. They never put their mind to it and force me to explain the difference between their/there/they're.

• Because last time I checked, this wasn't 3rd grade grammar. We simply don't care. Most of us type too fast.

• Wart due you mining to us, we are a nows inglish

• Not everyone.

• I said a lot, not everyone.

What Guys Said 15

• Does anyone else find it ironic that he's complaining about grammar while his own grammar and sentence structure is abysmal?

• I never claimed to be an English major. I am asking a question. Is my grammar perfect? No. Do I actually put some effort into making sure it flows half decently? Yes. Do I try to use your and you're correctly? Yes. Do I try to make sure that my words are spelt correctly? Yes.

• *I never claimed to be an English major, I am asking a question. Is my grammar perfect, no. Do I actually put some effort into making sure it flows half decently, yes. Do I try to use "your" and "you're" correctly, yes. Do I try to make sure that my words are spelled correctly, yes.*

There are of course minor stylistic changes you could make to improve flow, however.

• That is true. I will try to keep that in mind. Thank you.

• Fuck off, will ya?

• If you don't care to hear me complain, and don't have an actual answer, then why bother clicking on my question?

• oh well.. most of da times i do it 4 fun :-p

• Makes you sound immature and/or uneducated.

• @asker otherwise i'd sound like a borin middle-aged guy... so... ^_^

• I feel you.

• Amen to that brother. I'm a professional writer and half the time listening to people talk is like the screech of brakes right before the impact.

• That was a great way to put it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

• Eyes donutno youz pleezes tellles mees.

• Got 2140 in SAT, so I am sure I am not one of them.

• i dont really care much tbh... as long as i get the gist of what they're trying to say

• Some are immature, and some don't speak English as their first language, both will lead to poor grammar, and I'm Texan, so ya. XD

I ain't got no need for this here edumacation. XD

• Haha, I'm in the same boat.
      I piss people off when I correct them. I'm not trying to be mean, I honestly want to help them. Better grammar would help get a better job.
      I love Kentucky though.

• Hahaha, I'm from Texas also. Both are good points.

• Because we're all idiots, taking a bath reluctantly in confused and confusing humor that i suppose includes grammar/

• You sound a little bit like a philosopher.

• Hardly. I am far from philosophical, but I like to use big words, because i'm an asshole.

• Haha

• because the got rid of auto correct in the details section when you ask a question.

• I use my computer sometimes, but I know that the keyboard for Android has an autocorrect built-in. Either way, people should learn how to spell. Auto correct isn't going to help them when their boss needs them to write out a letter or when they have to write a paper in class without the use of a phone.

• I feel you man. Thanks for your opinion and comment by the way.

• Well English is my second language

• I spend so much time proofreading all my shit at work why would I do that at home lol

• Ooooooh, I'm Vietnamese too!!

• My grammar is excellent, but i don't often care.

• For three years *who* knows
    Correct yourself

• Thank you. I'll see if it will let me. At least you're making suggestions instead of bitching about it. I'm not perfect, but I do try to put a decent amount of effort into my typing.

• No prob